Altamont Fair 2017

Altamont Fair

We have been taking the kids to the Altamont Fair for years, and while we aren’t always in town when the fair rolls into Altamont in mid-August, we have some great memories of visiting many times.

The fair is very easy to find as you head down route 146 to Altamont, a small town in Upstate New York.  Right along the main road, you will see huge signs for the fair that direct you right to the parking lot.  There are sprawling fields to park in, and parking lot attendees will direct you where to park.  We arrived not much after the fair opened (10am) and did not have far to walk to the entrance.

There are a couple different entrances, and the fair is on a large loop, so be sure to grab a map/brochure on your way in, which has a map and a listing of all the events going on throughout the day (from pig races to dog shows).

This year we headed to the fair on a perfect Saturday morning – not too hot with some clouds clearing out to make way for blue skies.

Altamont Fair

The kids saw the rabbit building right away, and there was no stopping them!  We spent some time looking at the adorable bunnies before heading to see lots of other animals.

Altamont Fair

Every time we visit the Altamont fair, there is the grueling decision of what fair food to indulge in!  I had a tough time choosing between fried pickles, fried jalapeños, and fried mushrooms.  Although you can find your pick of fried foods (from fried dough to loaded tater tots to fried Oreos), there are plenty of other foods – steak sandwiches, strawberry shortcake, gyros, and more.  Plus drinks, from fresh-squeezed strawberry lemonade to wine slushies.

Altamont Fair

My daughter got some awesome fried pickles with a side of spicy horseradish to share with me.  Absolutely delicious!

Altamont Fair Fried Pickles

It was nice to be able to sit in the shade while we ate our food.  There are a variety of tents around the fairgrounds as well as benches that were in the shade, which is much appreciated after walking around quite a bit in the sun, especially with kids.

Altamont Fair

After seeing how big the onions were at the bloomin’ onion stand, we had to get one.  Even though the kids claimed to be disinterested, they did eat quite a bit of it!

Altamont Fair Bloomin Onion

There are lots of rides and other attractions at the fair.  You can find ones for little kids up to much more intense, thrilling rides.  Plus attractions like a haunted house and a house of mirrors.

Altamont Fair

The fair has lots of games too, like your classic ring toss or darts, and much more. We gambled away our fair share of money trying to knock down $50 and $100 bills out of arcade machines.

AltamontFairPrizes

We stopped at lots of vendors and booths throughout the fairgrounds.  There are quite a few to see, from businesses to groups.  My daughter decided to act out her most “doctor-like expression” for the St. Peter’s Health Partners booth!

Altamont Fair

Towards the back of the fairgrounds you can find things like farm machinery on display.

Altamont Fair

There are lots of kid-friendly things to see and do, like this exhibit learning to milk a cow.  There are play areas and other interactive things specifically designed for kids, but plenty of other things for little ones to enjoy (like looking at baby animals).

Altamont Fair

My kids love visiting all the animals, from horses to goats, pigs, sheep, and more.

Altamont Fair Pig

Altamont Fair

The Altamont Fair has a pretty good setup, and I was happy to see things like this hand-washing station.  Despite packing an entire canister of hand wipes in my backpack, this was a fantastic opportunity for the kids to wash their hands after petting lots of animals.

Altamont Fair

We also had a chance to visit our good friend, Bob Lavoy, who is a local resident and sells metal detectors.

Altamont Fair

The Altamont Fair is a lot of fun, and it makes for a nice family day.  I know we will be returning next year!

What to bring:

~ comfortable shoes
~ sunscreen / sunglasses / hat
~ cash for food, games, etc.

For kids, also bring:

~ hand wipes
~ drinks and snacks
~ stroller or wagon for smaller kids

By | 2017-08-22T13:54:02+00:00 August 22nd, 2017|Family Fun, Travel|27 Comments

1. Rosie August 22, 2017 at 3:11 pm - Reply

Seeing these pictures, I can hardly wait for the country fairs, starting pretty soon. I love the critters, and I like the contests like pies, jam, fair food (that onion looks good)! I once got a baby Nubian goat from a fair, to join my chickens, cats ‘n dog at the time!

2. shelly peterson August 23, 2017 at 5:00 am - Reply

Looks like a lot of fun. We have a fair that comes every September. I have not been in a long time though.

3. Alli Smith August 23, 2017 at 1:53 pm - Reply

Fairs are so much fun! My favorite things to do is eat the yummy food and look at all the livestock. It’s a great way to say hello to fall!

4. robin rue August 23, 2017 at 1:56 pm - Reply

That sounds like fun! Good old fashioned country fairs like this are hard to come by around here, so when they do, we really make an effort to go!

5. Anosa August 23, 2017 at 2:00 pm - Reply

It sure does look like it’s a lot of fan and wish we had something similar in my neck of the woods. I am jealous of the foods you guys tried too

6. Jeanette August 23, 2017 at 2:05 pm - Reply

I love going to state fairs! They are SO much fun and tor FOOD is awesome! I mean where else can you go to get a fried twinkie? LOL

7. Tomi C August 23, 2017 at 2:17 pm - Reply

Fair season has started and I can’t wait to take my family. It’s an annual family tradition. We look forward to the food, seeing the animals and the concerts and the food. Hey, it’s the one time of year where we splurge on fried treats and there’s always something new to try. I can’t wait to see what’s on this year’s fair menu.

8. Sarah Honey August 23, 2017 at 2:55 pm - Reply

We use to go to the fair when we lived up north! It was always so fun to see all the animals and play the games. My son loved it.

9. Cheryl August 23, 2017 at 4:42 pm - Reply

I miss the state fair so much! Being from Detroit, our state fair was right in the city, so I was able to see all of the animals and eat lots of fun food close to home.

10. Sarah Bailey August 23, 2017 at 6:07 pm - Reply

What a lovely looking fair it seems like there was so much going on for everyone, I Would have loved to have checked out the animals myself.

11. Joanna @ Everyday Made Fresh August 23, 2017 at 7:27 pm - Reply

Oh the fair! I don’t know if it’s where I’ve lived, or if it’s just the south, but fairs are not nearly as great as they are everywhere else I’ve seen pictures. A friend of mine lives in Ohio, and their fair is amazing! Yours looks pretty great too!

12. candy August 23, 2017 at 8:09 pm - Reply

There insetting like our local county fairs or even the state fairs. So much great food, rides and we always love the animal shows.

13. Lynn Woods August 23, 2017 at 11:37 pm - Reply

Oh, I love fairs. I can’t wait until we have ours!

14. Amanda August 24, 2017 at 3:30 am - Reply

As much as I love fairs for the rides and people watching, to me there is nothing more important than the food. GIVE ME ALL THE FUNNEL CAKE!

15. Jenn @ EngineerMommy August 24, 2017 at 9:30 am - Reply

My family loves checking out stress fairs like this. We always go when one is in our area. The best part is trying out all the cool food choices.

16. Our Family World August 24, 2017 at 10:10 am - Reply

I haven’t been in a state fair in years. Living in the city my entire life makes me long for activities like this. I will have to check if there are any state fairs near me. I really have to be in at least one!

17. Jaime Nicole August 24, 2017 at 11:16 am - Reply

I love going to our county fair. It’s such a fun tradition that goes back so many years – it just feels like home!

18. Kita Bryant August 24, 2017 at 6:14 pm - Reply

I wish we lived closer to make it! The kids love the fair and this fair looks much better than ours!

19. Cherri Megasko August 24, 2017 at 10:19 pm - Reply

Looking at all your photos made me homesick. I love small town county fairs. I never entered anything but I was always tempted to enter some of my home canned pickles.

20. Christie August 24, 2017 at 11:14 pm - Reply

Our fair is not that exciting. I love seeing the farm animals, though. Our doesn’t have fried pickles! I have to find them.

21. Adrienne August 26, 2017 at 11:21 pm - Reply

Oh my goodness, fairs are my favorite! funnel cakes, fried green tomatoes, corn dogs, ahh, I love it all! You are so lucky to have this experience so close to home every year.

22. valmg @ Mom Knows It All August 30, 2017 at 5:07 am - Reply

Going to a fair can be lots of fun! I haven;t been in years. The fried onion looks yummy, we had one very similar at the Windmill farmers market in Upstate NY, it was yummy!

23. Chelsea July 6, 2018 at 11:31 pm - Reply

Oh man… I’d love to go just for the blooming onions and deep fried pickles. YUM!

24. Stephanie July 6, 2018 at 11:59 pm - Reply

This looks like so much fun! The food is always my favorite part about the local fairs. <3

25. Katherine July 7, 2018 at 1:28 pm - Reply

This looks like so much fun! I love fair food and all of the fun games. The animals are perfect for kids, too!

26. Patricia July 7, 2018 at 2:51 pm - Reply

How fun!! It’s not a full fair experience for me if I haven’t had a funnel cake!!

27. Chelsea Padgett July 7, 2018 at 11:08 pm - Reply

This looks like so much fun! Can’t wait to explore the Fair in our new hometown! Funnel cakes are my favorite treat!