Green Smoothies with Romaine

Romaine Smoothie

I try to start each day with a green smoothie, usually with kale, banana, and fruit.  Once in a while I use spinach.  However, at the end of this summer, my romaine bolted.  Meaning that I didn’t keep up with picking it, and it grew extremely tall.  Unfortunately, the leaves had become tough and bitter.  I couldn’t bear to let all the romaine go to waste, and I figured it couldn’t be too far from the taste of kale, and tried it in a smoothie.  Sure enough, it works!

Romaine Smoothie

Ingredients

~ handful of romaine leaves

~ 1.5 cups coconut milk (or whatever kind you prefer)

~ 1 banana

~ handful of frozen fruit

~ optional: chia seeds, flax seeds, cinnamon, ginger, etc.

Romaine Smoothie

Directions

Place all ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth!

Romaine Smoothie

Enjoy!

By | 2017-01-12T02:58:19+00:00 September 22nd, 2014|Beverages, Food, Health & Fitness, Vegan|12 Comments

1. 1stopmom January 20, 2018 at 7:16 pm - Reply

I love green smoothies! It is great that you were able to put the romaine to good use. I have always done spinach or kale so I have to try romaine.

2. Laura G January 1, 2019 at 11:05 pm - Reply

I had my first tea with matcha today, which opened up my eyes to green smoothies and teas!! This looks easy and delicious!

3. Ariel January 2, 2019 at 12:06 am - Reply

That looks delicious I will definitely give it a try! I usually only do fruit smoothies but I think it’s time to add some greens!

4. Jack January 2, 2019 at 2:10 am - Reply

Well, i love to be healthy and I really like this post. Good job making this super natural.

5. Tiffany January 2, 2019 at 5:18 am - Reply

Truth be told, I hate kale so I would MUCH rather put romaine into my smoothie! I didn’t know you “could” do that though so I’m looking forward to trying to now lol

6. Dani January 2, 2019 at 5:43 am - Reply

I have always put spinach into a smoothie but never considered putting lettuce in! Thanks or the inspiration!

7. Terri Beavers January 2, 2019 at 6:24 am - Reply

That looks really healthy. I’ll have to try this sometime. I add a lot of fruits in my smoothies but not nearly enough veggies.

8. Monidipa Dutta January 2, 2019 at 6:47 am - Reply

I love smoothies but I have never tried this but one question I have here, can I add chocolate here?

9. Blanca January 2, 2019 at 12:19 pm - Reply

Soooo…I love green smoothies, but I never thought to make it with Romaine. The coconut probably adds a really nice flavor. Think I’ll have to add this version to my weekly routine 🙂

10. Karen Monica January 3, 2019 at 5:28 am - Reply

I am a fan of smoothies. But I have never tried this. By the way it looks yummy. I make try to make it.

11. alison January 3, 2019 at 3:38 pm - Reply

I love that you didn’t waste your beautiful romaine leaves and found an alternative use for them. Sounds yummy.

12. Bindu Thomas January 10, 2019 at 6:44 am - Reply

I love having smoothies, especially green. I am not sure whether the romaine leaf is available here. Thanks for the recipe.