This is one of my favorite simple soup recipes. It is so easy to prepare, and it is a soup our whole family enjoys. I also use vegetable broth to make this a vegetarian recipe.
- butter or olive oil
- 6 to 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 6-8 oz tortellini (we have also used mini ravioli, which the kids are a big fan of!)
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes (keep the juice)
- 8-10 oz frozen spinach (defrosted) or chopped fresh spinach
- Optional: basil, Parmesan cheese, onions
Chop the garlic and saute in butter or olive oil. I love garlic, so I use quite a bit. You can also add onion. I often make this when I am sick, so I use quite a bit of garlic and onions to reap the health benefits!
Add your 4 cups of broth and the contents of the can of tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
Add the tortellini and cook until done.
When it is almost done, stir in your spinach.
If desired, add salt and pepper, and garnish with Parmesan cheese.