Homemade Bacon Egg & Cheese “McMuffins”

egg mcmuffins

While I love a bacon, egg & cheese muffin, I don’t love the oily cheese, the often obviously-been-sitting-there-a-while taste/temperature, plus the ingredients are almost always crooked on the muffin, which drives me crazy! Fast food has gotten shockingly expensive too, and the more mouths you have to feed, the more expensive it is!

egg mcmuffins

So, I’ve been making my own! You can control the the and quality of ingredients, and you can even make your own muffins!

egg mcmuffins egg mcmuffins
egg mcmuffins

I’m still looking for just the right English Muffin recipe…if anyone has one, I’m all ears! This recipe wasn’t too difficult, and they looked good, but to me they tasted like flour, or (if you want to be really generous) biscuits. You don’t taste the muffin much once you have the bacon egg & cheese on though, so I suppose it doesn’t matter too much!

Anyway, the key to these is the egg (in my opinion.) Sure, you can just make omelettes or scramble eggs and slap ’em on, but this is better!

egg mcmuffins

If you have an egg mold, great. I don’t, so I use empty/cleaned pineapple cans, which make the perfect, muffin sized egg. I have a can opener that removes the entire can top (rather than cutting it) so there are no sharp edges.

egg mcmuffins egg mcmuffins
egg mcmuffins

Spray the inside of your molds with a little cooking spray or (my preference) rub with olive oil. Grease your pan too if you normally need to when you make eggs! Crack an egg inside the “mold.” I like to press and hold the mold in place for a second to let the egg set, so it doesn’t run out. Then, either with a fork, or the corner of the spatula, break the yolk and scramble it around a little bit. Let the egg cook.

egg mcmuffins egg mcmuffins

Carefully remove the mold (I use the corner of the spatula to make sure it’s pried loose) and turn the egg, then cook until done (how’s that for directions?)

egg mcmuffins egg mcmuffins

I like mine nice and crispy, so I toast my muffins first. Then, put a slice of cheese (any you like!), bacon or Canadian bacon (again, anything you like!) and an egg on a muffin. I can fit 3 eggs in my pan at a time, so I put the completed ones in the oven (set to warm, then turned off) while I make the rest. This keeps them warm & crispy and also gets the cheese nice and melty. I leave the top of the muffin off until I’m ready to serve the sandwiches, so the muffin doesn’t get soggy.

egg mcmuffins

The cost per sandwich will vary depending on ingredients used and price paid (it can be next to nothing if you are a couponer!), but it is far less than a fast food joint, and you can use higher quality ingredients. These also freeze well; I recommend leaving the cheese off and adding that after thawing and warming the sandwiches!

Do you like bacon, egg & cheese muffins (or biscuits?)

Fitteds and Pockets and Snappis, oh my!

Comments

1. 1
    Melissa H. says:

I love homemade “McMuffins”.. I make them all the time! :)

2. 2

drooling…

3. 3
    Sari Berry says:

This seriously looks so good! I love the McDonalds ones but homemade is definitely better – will be trying this for sure!

4. 4

I love mc muffins but I make them vegan now at home but whether meat and egg or vegan they are so yummy!

5. 5

I also recently saw the suggestion to bake the eggs in a muffin pan and they come out nearly the correct size. Just thought I’d share that idea. Thanks for this recipe!

6. 6

We love bacon, egg & cheese muffins! I didn’t think they’d freeze well but I’m going to give a try after reading this post. And Lori B’s idea of baking the eggs in a muffin pan sounds great too. So many great breakfast ideas ~ I’ll be busy getting ready for back to school. Thanks!

7. 7

Yummy!

8. 8

I have all these ingredients in the house. Great plan!

9. 9

Delicious! We love making these with crescent rolls and sausage!

10. 10

We do these all the time and love them. We normally cook the eggs in a muffin pan and are able to make them so much faster. We are also sausage people so we do that. It makes it so easy to customize. Great post

11. 11
    Sonya Morris says:

These look delicious! Eating out can be very expensive!

12. 12
    bekah kuczenski says:

These look, easy, yummy, and so much better for you than the McDonald’s egg mcmuffins

13. 13
    Jessica Parks Wiese says:

I am so trying this! I think my kids would love it!

14. 14

I never even thought of making my own muffins! What a great idea.

15. 15
    Linda Meyers-Gabbard says:

I like both the muffins and the biscuits. I like sausage instead of cansdian bacon.

16. 16

wow- those lookso good and i’m all for making my own healthier version of fast food…. have you tried to make subway’s egg sandwich? basically the same thing but i used a store bought english muffin and it just wasn’t the same….

annae07 at aol dot com

17. 17

I love this idea and I’m going to make them!

18. 18

I need to make these for breakfast tomorrow. Thanks for the great tip on how to use the mold for the egg!

19. 19

I have made these many times, but with store bought muffins.

20. 20
    Jessica Beard says:

These look delicious! We make these too, only with sausage. I’m not a huge bacon fan.

21. 21
    Debbie Welchert says:

I love egg mcmuffins but have never had a homemade one. This is going to make a wonderful weekend treat for me and my grandkids.

22. 22
    meegan whitford says:

These look so yummy I am gonna try these and making my own english muffins and I want to try making bagels as well.

23. 23
    Cassandra Eastman says:

Wow , these look delicious! Thank you!

24. 24

Ohhhhh….I want one of these right now!!! They look so good!!

25. 25

I have made these for myself and my family many times. In fact, when I do go to McDonald’s, theirs taste funny to me now. Much better when made at home – and much CHEAPER, too!

26. 26

Now this is the way I LOVE to start my morning!! Making these at home is so much cheaper than eating out, especially feeding a family of 6.

27. 27

I will have to give these a try. And I like the fact I would get something delicious for a fraction of the cost

28. 28

These look good. Egg McMuffins are one of my favorite things at McDonalds!