When a person is injured in a car accident, they are certain to be uncomfortable and inconvenienced. Multiple doctor’s appointments are required and so is painful physical therapy.

Large medical bills are par-for-the-course.

If you were injured in a car accident, your automobile insurance should pay for any injuries that you sustained. If you were injured in a slip-and-fall accident or through medical malpractice, the at-fault party’s insurance should pay for your injuries.

Ask any injury lawyer, And they will tell you that insurance companies are notoriously tight-fisted. They will do everything they can to give you the smallest settlement possible. There are a few things you should do to maximize the amount of money you get from an insurance company.

Collect Evidence at the Scene

Getting into an accident can be very upsetting. However, it is important to collect certain documentation when an accident happens so you can get money for your injuries.

Be sure to call the police and wait for them to arrive after an accident. The law enforcement officer who arrives at the scene will ask you questions, but you are under no obligation to answer them. 

If an ambulance arrives, you should always let the paramedics treat you. Go to the hospital with them if they tell you that you need to. If you refuse, an insurance company may hold it against you.

If you have had a slip-and-fall accident at a business, you should notify the manager. They will fill out an accident report and give you their company’s insurance information. If your accident was caused by obstacles that were left in your way, or a wet floor that was not properly marked, the business’ insurance should pay for it.

If you injure yourself at a person’s home, you should get their homeowner’s insurance information. If the home was unsafe in some way, their insurance should pay for your accident.

If you feel that a medical professional has caused you injury, you should save a record of medical reports and office visits that you have acquired as a result of your injury. You should also keep a record of the treatments that caused your injury in the first place.

Save Your Bills

Save a record of every medical bill that is related to your accident including physical therapy and alternative treatments such as cryogenic therapy. Collect receipts from any medication that you have had to take as a result of your injury.

Have your employer document any hours that you have missed from work and the amount of money you have lost because of it. If you need assistance around the house, you should keep a record of the bills for those services.

Getting injured in an accident is one of life’s hardest experiences. You can get the money you need to get better if you keep careful records of your injuries and expenses and hire a personal injury attorney.