South India does boast of having numerous travel destinations to cater to all ages and types of visitors. One such place that attracts tourist in huge numbers to visit throughout the year at least once in their lifetime is Kodaikanal. It is popularly called ‘Princess of hill stations in India’ as well as ‘Gift of God’. This is because it has lots of beautiful looking hills and lakes. The forests in the region contain different types of trees, huge rocks and enchanting waterfalls. Families, couples and honeymooners are attracted here due to its stunning scenic beauty. It is also quite a suitable and ideal destination for those who love to be amongst nature.
This beautiful hilly destination is located in Tamil Nadu’s Dindigul district. It has been given several names by the locals. Summer is the best time to visit this place due to the cool breeze in the otherwise harsh summer region of Tamil Nadu. This place simply visits everyone, including foreigners. The low temperature and scenic beauty is what mesmerizes everyone. Kodaikanal hotels are safe and of different budgets to accommodate all needs and pocket.
Top tourist attractions in Kodaikanal
This place boasts of having beautiful landscapes to scenic lakes, dense green hills to cascading waterfalls. Countless scenic options are present here for all types of tourists, be it friends group, families, solo travellers or honeymooners. A few beautiful and captivating nature spots here are Silent Valley, Green Valley and Dolphin’s Point.
- Green Valley View: From this point, you get to view the enthralling greenery, verdant mountains and cloud-bound valleys. You should go on a walk across the misty woodlands to get a wonderful, panoramic view of this beautiful valley. However, the viewpoints are a bit dangerous and require you to take adequate precautions. Being at a significant height and tricky route, you need to maintain great care. It is open to visitors from 7am to 6pm and entry is free to all.
- Kodai Lake: This star-shaped artificial lake is draped within an area of about 60 acres. Some of the adventurous activities that attract tourists to come here in huge numbers are angling, cycling, horse riding and boating, etc. It is open between 6am and 5pm, with free entry. However, boat rides are chargeable.
- Pillar Rocks: They can be noticed to reach a height of about 400 ft. providing the hills with a supreme contour. They also form a fabulous picnic spot frequented by the locals. From the lake, it is located at a distance of about 8km. It has derived its name due to its three vertical positioned boulders that reaches about 400 ft. height, comprising a mini garden. It is open from 9am to 4pm and tourists are to pay an entry charge as well as for camera usage.
- Bear Shola Falls: It is located close to Kodaikanal and is considered to be a picturesque picnic spot frequented by both tourists and locals alike. It has derived this unique name as bears were reported to have used this place to drink water. Visiting this place will allow you to get a glimpse of the beauty of nature and witness some of the exotic flora and fauna of the place. Entry to this place is free and is open between 10am and 6pm.
- Dolphins Nose: This natural and rustic prodigy features a protruding flat rock over a chasmal of a height of about 6,600 ft. From Kodaikanal city, it is located at a distance of about 8km and provides tourists with breathtaking views. Entry is free to all and is open between 6am and 5.30pm.
- Thailayar Falls: This falls offers beautiful view of the surroundings including Manjalar Dam. It is of a height of 297m and has a beautiful cascade making it a fabulous place to enjoy sightseeing. Entry is free and is open from 10am to 6pm.
- Silent Valley View: This can be stated to be nature’s beauty providing tourists with breathtaking views of white cloud painted hills and mountains. Located close to Pillar rock garden, this pea-green valley is among the top spots to visit in Kodaikanal. It offers some amazing views of the valley. Late afternoons or mornings is the right time to visit this place, since you can catch the scenic beauty of this place at its supreme. It is free to visit for all tourists.
- Silver cascade falls: Enroute to Madurai is a popular waterfall named Silver Cascade. It falls from a height of about 180 ft. and is quite ethereal. Water is derived from the Kodai lake that overflows and gushes down in loud thuds. Entry to all visitors is free.
- Vattakanal Falls: This popular white beauty is termed to be an amazing place where you can spend quality time with your loved ones. The locals sell here a few lip smacking treats. This place is popular for its rich and diverse biodiversity. It is located about 3km from the city and is surrounded by dense greenery, hills and trees. It is indeed a nature’s wonder. You can get free entry here at any time of the days or night.
- Mannavanur Lake: This lake is located in Mannavanur village, away from Kodaikanal city. You can visit this lake any day you desire to and is among the must visit attractions of the region. There is a sheep farm close to the lake with lots of tall pine and eucalyptus trees in the surroundings. You will also come across flock of sheep peacefully grazing on the meadows, while birds chirp around. Entry is chargeable with a nominal rate. It is open to visitors from 9.30am to 5pm daily.
- Night safari: If you want to see nature up close at night time, then you should avail night safari package. You can get to see wild boars, bison and porcupines moving around in its natural habitat. You can also visit Palani temple and Mango City.
The kodaikanal hotels are well maintained and provide the latest facilities to its guests.