Perfume has been around much longer than the frankincense and myrrh carried by the trio of wise men in 0 BC.
The Ancient Egyptians loved fragrance, so they allocated it to the God Nefertum, who also governed aromatherapy and healing.
Even today, there’s no doubting the feel-good properties of fragrance, so find the best perfume for you from this list of top-selling brands.
From its humble beginnings in 1910, the House of Chanel’s risen to become one of the world’s most recognizable luxury brands.
From the timeless classic, Chanel №5, to fresher scents aimed at a younger market, Chanel offers a little something for everyone.
Try these delectable fragrances this summer:
- Coco Mademoiselle – a long-lasting citrusy fragrance
- Chance Eau Tendre – clean, fruity, airy, light, and fresh
- Chance Eau Fraiche – fresh, sparkling and floral
Chanel offers over 80 fragrances in the Chanel №5 range alone. So keep searching until you find your perfect scent.
- Calvin Klein
Fashionistas have admired the Calvin Klein brand for its classic minimalism since the late 1960’s when they launched their top-selling jeans. Today the brand offers a host of casual collections, underwear, jewelry, and perfume.
These are the best perfumes from Calvin Klein for this summer:
- Eternity Summer – romantic and warm with hints of musk and citrus
- Downtown – lighthearted and youthful with florals and warm woods
- CK One Summer – unisex perfume with sea salt, orange, and ginger notes
There are 167 different top perfumes to choose from in the Calvin Klein stable.
- Yves Saint Laurent 507
Yves Henri Donat Mathieu-Saint-Laurent’s recognized as one of the 20th centuries’ top designers. He’s credited with raising the bar for ready-to-wear fashion with his comfortable, elegant designs for women.
Every foremost fashion house needs a range of perfumes to match, and Yves Saint Laurent is no exception. Try some of this summer’s top perfumes from this brand:
- Cinema – crisp, refreshing, and light
- Black Opium – sweet, seductive, and irresistible
- Libre – unique, sensual, and daring
After Saint Laurent’s retirement in 2002, Alber Elbaz and Hedi Slimane took over the reins, and Anthony Vaccarello now runs the show.
- Giorgio Armani
Giorgio Armani’s been leading the way in understated, body-conscious fashion since the mid-1970s and is still going strong today.
Armani started out with a focus on menswear but soon branched out to pioneer chic, pantsuits for women in elegant colors.
If you want to turn heads this summer, try out these top Armani fragrances:
- Acqua Di Gioia – fresh, feminine, and flirty
- Giorgio – fragrant, sweet and creamy florals
- Sí – Sweet and musky with cedarwood, blackcurrant nectar, and rose scents
There are 184 different perfumes spanning 4 decades in Giorgio Armani’s range.
Clinique’s most famous for its 3-Step Skin Care System introduced in 1968, Clinique offers the complete package for women and men.
This brand may be most famous for its 100% fragrance-free, allergy tested products, but the perfumes sure pack a powerful punch. Sample some of these summer hits:
- Happy Summer Spray – this bubbly, lighthearted perfume smacks of sunshine
- Happy in Bloom – a sweet, soft, floral fragrance
- My Happy Lily of the Beach – frangipani, lily, and a touch of coconut
Clinique’s fragrances speak of sunshine and seaside relaxation, perfect for lazy summer days.
- Mont Blanc
Mont Blanc is one of the best perfume brands if you’re looking for classic, luxurious elegance. The attention to detail that made Mont Blanc pens famous has spilled over to a range of 28 high-end fragrances.
Try some of these or spoil someone you love this summer:
- Mont Blanc Explorer – A woody-aromatic-leather fragrance for men
- Lady Emblem Elixir – elegant tones of summer roses
- Individuelle – A sweet, floral summer favorite
Inspired by the highest peak of the Alps, the Mont Blanc brand epitomizes German excellence.
- Estée Lauder
From its humble beginnings with just four products, Estée Lauder’s grown to include a wide range of skincare and fragrance must-haves.
Add these to your list of top summer scents for 2020:
- Aerin Beauty ‘Hibiscus Palm’ – hints of musk, vanilla, and coconut milk,
- Bronze Goddess – smells like a tropical island with coconut and vanilla
- Pleasures Eau de Parfum Spray – light and floral like summer rain
Today, the Estée Lauder brand owns several high-end brands and is one of the best-known names in skincare.
- Marc Jacobs
Launched in 1984, Marc Jacobs is one of the newest kids on the block when it comes to fashion and fragrances. The brand’s based on two simple, yet winning concepts – quality and a love of fashion.
Get a taste of Marc Jacobs’s flair with one of these summer fragrances:
- Daisy Eau So Fresh – fun and lighthearted with a unique design
- Decadence Eau So Decadent – a floral fruity mix to carry you into the fall
- Sunshine – mandarin, red currant, and guava add summer flair to this scent
Admirably, Marc Jacobs supports over 75 charities worldwide, so it’s worth supporting their endeavors.
Gucci started out in 1921 manufacturing luggage and equestrian goods for the Italian upper-class. Now, the brand boasts a portfolio of supremely luxurious fashions and fragrances for the well-heeled.
You’ll feel like you’ve joined the jet-set when you try these summer scents from Gucci:
- Gucci Bloom – an ultra-feminine, silky, smooth experience
- Gucci – a new floral, fruity, and woody fragrance for 2020
- Gucci Mémoire d’une Odeur Eau de Parfum – it’s a bunch of flowers in a bottle
Today Gucci is one of the world’s best-loved luxury brands.
In its almost 80-year history, Lancôme’s become known for a range of innovative makeup lines and skincare products as well as luxury perfumes.
Enjoy a bit of French flair with these scents of summer:
- Idôle – elegant, unique and long-lasting fruity-floral tones
- Lancome La Vie Est Belle Eau de Parfum – sweet vanilla and praline notes
- Attraction Summer – a spicy and floral bouquet of fragrance
This range of summer perfumes perfectly captures Lancôme’s ultra-feminine joie-de-vivre and charisma.
Gaby Aghion started her fashion house to make people happy. Her fashions focus on rich luxuriant fabrics in both her haute couture and ready-to-wear ranges. Chloé’s range of summer fragrances continues the trend.
Spoil yourself with one of these:
- Nomade – intensely romantic and wearable with a woody, floral fragrance
- Atelier des Fleurs Lavanda – delicate, light lavender fragrance
- Love Story – refined, sensual and floral
Chloé’s fashions and fragrances embody carefree summer living for modern-day women.
- Elizabeth Arden
After starting her first salon in 1910, it only took Elizabeth Arden five years to become an internationally-recognized brand. Elizabeth Arden embraces science and nature in skincare solutions, makeup products, and a range of popular fragrances.
Experience this winning formula when you sample these perfumes:
- Green Tea Summer – smells like sunshine and warm breezes
- Sunflowers – a bright, fruity and floral scent for summer
- Meditteranean – floral and woody tones hint at blue seas and pristine beaches
Innovation, excellence, and quality are still at the soul of every Elizabeth Arden beauty solution.
- Dolce & Gabbana
Dolce and Gabbana started out in 1985 with two friends who had a little money to invest in fulfilling their dreams. Their first women’s wear collection, presented in the same year, was resounding success.
The team has gone on to become one of the best-known fashion brands today and the darling of movie icons all over the world.
You’ll feel like a star too when you wear these summer scents from D&G:
- Dolce Peony – joyful and colorful with a touch of pears and peonies
- The One Essence – fresh, warm, elegant and luxurious
- Light Blue Sun Pour Homme – masculine, cool, and sensual with hints of vanilla
The brand fared so well that Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana retired at the age of 40, leaving their business in the capable hands of Dolce’s family.
- Carolina Herrera
Carolina Herrera made a name for herself dressing brides during the 1980s and has since expanded her reach to include 280 retail stores around the world.
Every woman needs a fine fragrance to go along with her luxurious designer dress, and these summer perfumes from CH certainly fit the bill:
- Good Girl – hints of dulce de leche in an iconic bottle
- Rosé – fresh, carefree, and seductive
- CH EDT – jasmine, cinnamon, and orange blossom
Today, Puig owns the Carolina Herrara brand, although Ms. Herrera’s still in place as the creative director.
Choosing the Best Perfume for You
While there’s a good choice you’ll find your best perfume among this list of top sellers, choosing a fragrance is a highly personal thing. Try before you buy by spraying a small sample on your wrist, then leave the fragrance counter and go about your day.
This is the best way to learn how a fragrance develops throughout the day. It’s difficult to tell one fragrance from another when you’re surrounded by the heady scents of a cosmetics store.
If you want to test a few fragrances, spray each one on a tester stick before leaving the store and revisit them the next day. Then, try the winning sample on your skin before you buy it.
Perfume’s expensive, so it pays to take your time finding the perfect one.
Keep reading our blog for more tips on beauty and lifestyle basics.