Not being able to sleep can be a pretty unpleasant experience. Lying looking at the ceiling when you know you have to be up for work in a few hours is frustrating and upsetting. Instead of lying awake letting your insomnia make you feel you stressed out, try a natural solution to help you drift off to sleep and sleep deeply.
Image – free for commercial use
- Herbal remedies. If you’re interested in natural solutions, herbal remedies can be a good place to start to help you improve your sleep. Chamomile and valerian root are classic sleep aids, but you could also try passionflower, lavender, hops, or lemon balm. If you do go down the herbal route, remember to check with your Doctor first if you are pregnant or taking any other kind of medication to be sure that the combination is safe.
- CBD or THC. CBD oil has been a big trend in alternative medicines in recent months, for both humans and animals. It and, where legal, THC have become popular treatments for insomnia, anxiety and even chronic pain. If pain is keeping you awake at night, try a stronger strain of THC, like https://www.budexpressnow.ca/product-category/concentrates/shatter/. Just double check that it is legal to take where you live.
- Acupuncture. This traditional Chinese medicine involves the insertion of fine needles into the skin at acupuncture points. The needles are believed to release tension, which could then lead to better, deeper sleep.
- Yoga and meditation. If you’re holding tension in your muscles or are struggling with anxious thoughts, your sleep is sure to take a hit. Try some relaxation techniques to ease the tension in your muscles and quiet your racing mind. Yoga or a guided meditation app can help you to quiet your mind and relax, ready for sleep that leaves you feeling refreshed in the morning.
- Regular exercise. Exercise, whether you jog, go to the gym or take a dance class, can help you to have better quality sleep. Consistent exercise is a great tool for better sleep, but don’t work out in the three or four hours before you go to bed. This can actually have the opposite effect and make sleep harder!
Before starting a new exercise routine or taking an herbal remedy of any kind, you should speak to your Doctor first. If you take any kind of medication or are pregnant, this is even more important, as you need to be sure that you new sleep solution is safe. It’s also important to speak to your Doctor before giving a child any herbal medicine too.
Insomnia can have a lot of different potential causes, so talking to your Doctor anyway may be wise. They can identify any possible medical issues that could be making sleep difficult, or they may be to refer you for help with stress or anxiety if this is the problem. Better sleep will improve your concentration, general mood and quality of life, so it’s worth trying to find the cause of insomnia.