Falls of Lana, Salisbury, Vermont

Falls of Lana

This summer we decided to check out a bunch of nice waterfalls in Vermont.  We had heard that Falls of Lana was impressive, so headed out to Salisbury, Vermont to check it out (mid-August 2018).  Falls of Lana is not far from Branbury State Park, and is about 40 minutes north of Rutland.

There is a large parking lot, and even so, we had to park along the edge of the lot as it was full.

Falls of Lana parking lot

There are various trails here in the Moosalamoo Natural Recreation Area.  The trailhead had useful information about the area.

Falls of Lana, Salisbury Vermont

Not far along the trail is a giant pipeline.  Built in 1922, the penstock feeds water from Silver Lake down to a local hydroelectric power station.

Falls of Lana Salisbury Vermont

Falls of Lana

Right after the penstock, we took a left to check out the first of the Falls of Lana.

Falls of Lana Trail

We reached the bottom of the trail where it meets the falls.  You have to scale the rocks a little bit, but we did it carefully with our two kids (ages 8 and 11). You can see them swimming in the water!

Falls of Lana, Salisbury Vermont

In the middle of August, water levels were low, but there was still enough water to swim in.

Falls of Lana Swimming

My daughter found some leeches there, too!

Falls of Lana Leech

Heading back up to the trail, there was this cool old tree that had grown around a boulder.

Falls of Lana Vermont

After checking out this waterfall, we headed back to the trail to walk up further along the stream.

Falls of Lana

There are lots of places to swim and wade as you go upstream, and we saw people swimming in a variety of places.

Falls of Lana Salisbury Vermont

Falls of Lana Salisbury Vermont

Once we reached this bridge, we stopped to take a break, wade in the stream, and then return back to the car.

Falls of Lana salisbury vermont

We had a great time at Falls of Lana.  What a beautiful place to explore, and we would love to go back to explore more.

I recommend “Waterfalls of New England”, which was a great resource this summer.

Also be sure to check out our other Vermont destinations and Vermont hikes!

By | 2018-10-09T02:25:06+00:00 October 7th, 2018|Travel|18 Comments

1. Vikrant Nimbalkar October 7, 2018 at 2:44 am - Reply

Nice, i like to visit some day. Keep it up!

2. Silvia October 7, 2018 at 4:57 am - Reply

How beautiful! We love nature and we always are looking for new waterfalls. It looks like you had a great time.

3. Monidipa Dutta October 7, 2018 at 12:55 pm - Reply

Water is love to me so waterfall I find lovely. It was a very great hike. The pictures are really lovely.

4. Debby October 7, 2018 at 1:05 pm - Reply

I grew up in Vermont and sadly have not been back since middle school. But these pictures are bringing back a flood of memories, especially as I think about the fall with the glorious leaves changing colors.

5. Patricia-Ann Que October 7, 2018 at 10:27 pm - Reply

how peaceful is this place! i can imagine having walks here and re-energize!

6. Alejandra Graf October 7, 2018 at 11:45 pm - Reply

Love your post. My kids love hiking and being outside. Love that he swam in the middle of the woods. Thanks for sharing.

7. Amanda Yorton October 8, 2018 at 12:54 am - Reply

Wow! Your pictures are stunning! This looks like a great place to explore!

8. Renee October 8, 2018 at 1:38 am - Reply

Since moving to Arizona, I miss seeing the green. Trees that change colors on the fall. I love hiking. I need to put this on my bucket list. Never been to Vermont. Thanks for this post.

9. Echo October 8, 2018 at 1:52 am - Reply

Wow, this has to be one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen! I seriously think I could spend forever there!

10. Enriqueta E Lemoine October 8, 2018 at 9:44 am - Reply

OMG! What a beautiful place, Beautiful waterfalls and beautiful natural pools. This reminds me so much of my childhood and th wonderful places my grandpa used to takes back in Venezuela.

11. Vanessa October 8, 2018 at 3:26 pm - Reply

What a beautiful place! I love to be around water. This type of trips are so much fun. I’m sure you had a blast exploring nature.

12. Jessica Martin October 8, 2018 at 8:30 pm - Reply

The scenery is so beautiful. The falls are gorgeous as well! I love nature and am amazed at all the different scenery that nature has to offer.

13. Devyani Ray October 9, 2018 at 5:03 pm - Reply

So serene and pretty! Love waterfalls

14. David Elliott October 10, 2018 at 3:36 am - Reply

this just makes me miss the days when I used to go out and hiking all the time. I would love to go and see the falls whenever I went out on those hikes.

15. blair villanueva October 10, 2018 at 5:14 am - Reply

It is always lovely to go back to nature and regain our energy. In Japan, it is believed that visiting the nature gives a thorough cleansing of your being.

16. valmg @ Mom Knows It All October 16, 2018 at 4:30 am - Reply

I’ve never been to Vermont and have always hoped to visit there. This looks like a very scenic place. I’m a little surprised people would be swimming with leeches, but then again I’m a bit of a chicken.

17. Mommy Sigrid October 17, 2018 at 1:32 am - Reply

I love the trail. It’s so neat and clean. It’s something that I could do. I have limited mobility because of back problems that occur from time to time. So nothing too strenuous for me. 🙂

18. Vaibhav Mehta October 22, 2018 at 7:07 am - Reply

I absolutely dig the whole trek or trail to get to the waterfall and then relax there spending your time dipped in the water…a lovely post right there!