Bennington Battle Monument, Vermont

Bennington Battle Monument

For years, we have traveled through the Bennington area of Vermont.  It is easy to see the Bennington Battle Monument anytime you are in that area, but we never had the time to stop, so we finally decided to check out the monument.

The monument is in a beautiful area of Bennington.  We went in October, and the tree-lined streets are just absolutely gorgeous.  Later, it was fun to look back down on the road from inside the monument.

There is a parking area right next to the monument.  You can buy tickets to go up the monument elevator at the gift shop.  We paid $5 per adult and $1 per child.  The gift shop also sells some great local items and other souvenirs.

Bennington Battlefield Monument

We saw a Painted Moose out front of the Monument in October, and it is fun tradition to see different moose around Vermont.

Bennington Battle Monument Moose

The Bennington Battle Monument was completed in 1891, and is just over 306 feet tall.  It was built to commemorate the Battle of Bennington, which took place on August 16, 1777.

Bennignton Monument

We thought you had to climb all 417 stairs to reach the top of the monument, but the stairs are permanently closed.  The only way to the top is via an elevator.  I would say it is your average size elevator, and there is an attendant running it.  When you are done at the top, you can either catch the elevator as it brings more tourists up, or there is a bell you can ring.

There are narrow windows all around the top, and there are maps on the inside walls to give you an idea of what you are looking at as far as mountains and other geographical features.

Bennington Battle Monument

Bennington Battle Monument

The views are incredible, and it was fun to look down and see the beautiful tree-lined street we had come in on.

Bennington Battlefield Monument View

We went during prime leaf peeping season, and the view of the mountains are great.

Bennington Monument

There are some historical items at the base of the monument (inside), which are interesting.

There are also restrooms near the monument, which came in handy since we have kids and were in the car for a while.

We had a fun time at the monument, having passed it for so many years and going at prime foliage time.   Visiting the monument was fairly quick, as we checked out the top, took photos, and took a brief look at the historical items at the bottom.

The monument is open mid-April through October 31.

For more information visit: http://www.benningtonbattlemonument.com/

By | 2018-01-03T02:36:42+00:00 October 30th, 2017|Travel|23 Comments

1. Maryann D. October 31, 2017 at 8:57 am - Reply

These are such lovely views and photos! I would be happy and relaxed to visit a place like this.

2. Candy October 31, 2017 at 12:01 pm - Reply

What a beautiful view from the top. Elevator much faster and easier.

3. robin rue October 31, 2017 at 12:02 pm - Reply

I haven’t been up to Vermont in ages.We go to New Hampshire a lot, but haven’t driven over to VT in many years. We need to get over there one of these times we are up there.

4. Amber Myers October 31, 2017 at 12:19 pm - Reply

This is a lovely monument. I’ve never been to Vermont before. I need to go at some point because it really is a stunning area.

5. Tomi C October 31, 2017 at 1:38 pm - Reply

The painted moose project sounds neat and it’s a definite tourist attraction seeking out the “hidden” moose throughout the town. We’ve seen the painted pig project in Virginia and the painted cows in Austin, TX and had to stop and take pics every time we saw one.

6. Jeanette October 31, 2017 at 1:56 pm - Reply

I really like history. Whether it’s good or bad we need to know about it. This looks like a great way to explore history and have fun with the kids at the same time. I would love to check it out and I will if I travel that way.

7. Amanda October 31, 2017 at 3:44 pm - Reply

I have never heard about this battle or monument before. Thanks for helping me learn something new. And it is absolutely gorgeous, too!

8. Roger D Willis October 31, 2017 at 4:10 pm - Reply

Vermont isn’t too far from where I live (New York State). This battle monument is right up my alley, as I love history!

9. Sarah Bailey October 31, 2017 at 6:12 pm - Reply

Wow what a beautiful looking place to explore, the monument looks amazing and what a view you get from it, I’m glad there is a lift to help you to the top.

10. Janet October 31, 2017 at 9:23 pm - Reply

I haven’t been to New England in a long time and this place looks amazing to explore! Maybe I can get my husband to spring for a trip there soon…thanks!

11. Ricci October 31, 2017 at 9:25 pm - Reply

What an amazing monument!! I would love to visit Bennington VT one day! How cool!!

12. Claudia Krusch November 1, 2017 at 1:06 am - Reply

I would love to go see this monument in person. I am glad you do not have to climb all 417 stairs to reach the top of the monument. I will have to see if we can check this out the next time we are in the area.

13. Pam November 1, 2017 at 1:49 am - Reply

This looks like a really cool monument. I love the painted moose out front of it too.

14. Kisa Johnson November 1, 2017 at 3:30 am - Reply

Looks like a fun place to go! Not very expensive either. It’s interesting to see a painted moose there too! We have them around our city as well.

15. Rosemary Palmer November 1, 2017 at 10:52 am - Reply

Vermont is on my list to visit. I’ve got a friend who has a home there and loves to visit from the South. I’ve seen painted cows and horses around here. A moose would be cool to see.

16. Nikki November 1, 2017 at 12:08 pm - Reply

That is such a cool monument, and what an amazing view! I’ve driven through Vermont but never really had a chance to explore. I definitely want to see more of the state, it’s so gorgeous there.

17. Mimi Green November 1, 2017 at 5:23 pm - Reply

What a beautiful view. The fall season looks like the best time to go. I like that it’s cheap.

18. Chubskulit Rose November 1, 2017 at 5:47 pm - Reply

What beautiful sight and historic place this monument is. I hope that this would be preserved for generations to see and learn about the history.

19. Tami Qualls November 1, 2017 at 8:01 pm - Reply

I enjoy visiting monuments and museums. It being a quick tour will be wise with a little one in tow.

20. Joely Smith November 1, 2017 at 11:52 pm - Reply

Vermont is just so beautiful when captured through your eyes! Thank you for so many lovely images! I have always wanted to visit Vermont but if I never get to I still can feel like I’ve been there!

21. Anosa November 2, 2017 at 4:50 pm - Reply

Indeed a such a landmark. The view when you are up is really amazing! I guess I will wish to just stay in one of the corners there to have witnessed the beautiful view up there.

22. Rosie November 3, 2017 at 1:09 pm - Reply

This is a nice landmark, and a great price to see it. A good time to get off the road while leaf peeping and see a monument like this.

23. Janet W. November 10, 2017 at 2:09 pm - Reply

What a beautiful monument that I’d love to see in person one day! The scenery is amazing!