DIY Glass Magnets

DIY Glass Magnets

This is an easy project to make really cute magnets!  You can make any design you want, and my kids have fun making their own too.

Supplies needed:

~ Mod Podge

~ small paintbrush (cheap one you can throw out if possible – I get these from the dollar store)

~ glass stones (you can find these at craft stores or the dollar store in various sizes – I prefer the larger, flatter glass stones)

~ images on paper that you wish to use (such as scrapbook paper)

~ strong glue

~ strong magnets

Instructions:

Choose your images and glass stones.  Trace around the glass and then cut your paper.  You may have to trim the paper circles, since the glass stones are usually rounded, and you want the paper to fit on the back (and not stick out the sides).

Paint Mod Podge on the back of the glass stone.  I use cheap brushes (I get sets of about a dozen at the dollar store for $1).

DIY Glass Magnets

Place your image on the glass stone.  Briefly press the stone against a flat surface to remove any bubbles.  The Mod Podge will add a white ‘haze’ over your image, but don’t be alarmed – it dries clear – I promise!

DIY Glass Mod Podge Magnets

Allow your glass beads to dry overnight.  You may want to leave them right side up for a little bit to make sure the paper dries flat, but place them on a non-stick surface (like plastic), because you will probably have Mod Podge leaking out the edges, which will cause it to stick to whatever your magnet is sitting on.

DIY glass mod podge magnets

Once the Mod Podge is dry, use a strong glue (such as hot glue) to attach magnets.  I suggest strong magnets, since the glass can be heavy and you don’t want your creations to fall and break.

diy glass magnets

Have fun with your magnets!  We have made quite a few, and these make cute gifts too.

Some of the projects we have made include:

~ use old maps.  You can make a set of magnets showing where you met, married, and live.  Or where your family lives across the US or world.  Be creative!

~ holiday themed magnets

~ kid’s magnets – ABC’s, animals, etc.  You could leave off the magnets and use these for other projects, such as fairy gardens (as long as you don’t get the back/paper wet).

~ because these make cute and easy gifts, tailor them to your recipient.  If they love gardening, find images of flowers.  If they love travel, use maps or images of places they have been.

By | 2016-12-19T21:42:21+00:00 November 16th, 2013|Crafts, Family Fun|19 Comments

1. Alli Smith December 21, 2017 at 2:26 pm - Reply

I love this idea! I want to make some using maps like in the first photo. This will be a fun project to do with the kids.

2. Tomi C December 21, 2017 at 2:30 pm - Reply

Cute idea. I am always on the lookout for DIY crafts for our Sunday School class and this would be awesome. I know everyone would enjoy this and we have tons of those glass “rocks” from our old aquarium. Thanks for the DIY Marysa..

3. candy December 21, 2017 at 2:57 pm - Reply

My daughter and I made these several years ago. Remember we had so much fun making these. Looks like we should get together and have a saturday craft day again.

4. Lisa December 21, 2017 at 3:23 pm - Reply

What a great idea. You could easily personalize them to any taste or decor. My mom would love some with photos on them.

5. Amber Myers December 21, 2017 at 5:56 pm - Reply

These are some cool magnets. I know my daughter would love to make them. She’d be all about those dog and cat ones!

6. Jeanette December 21, 2017 at 5:59 pm - Reply

Oh my gosh I love this idea! I have all the things I need to do this I think I want to make this as a project with my kiddo.

7. Glamamom December 21, 2017 at 9:02 pm - Reply

These came out great! I need to try this with my big kids.

8. Ashley December 21, 2017 at 10:41 pm - Reply

My friend made me some for my birthday/ I like having unique and fun magnets!

9. Mellissa December 21, 2017 at 11:09 pm - Reply

I might just have to borrow this idea! I think this would be great to add some flowers around the house and add a pop of color in my decor. Plus these are super cute too.

10. Pam December 22, 2017 at 12:10 am - Reply

These turned out so cute. I love how simple these are to make. They would be a great craft to do with kids.

11. valmg @ Mom Knows It All December 22, 2017 at 2:40 am - Reply

Those are really cute. It’s great that kids can help make them, and that they can easily be customized.

12. Claudia Krusch December 22, 2017 at 5:05 am - Reply

This will be a great project to do over the holidays. My friend is coming over for a few days with her kids. I am sure they will love it.

13. Sandy N Vyjay December 22, 2017 at 12:07 pm - Reply

What a lovely idea. The magnets look cute too. Will have this done during the holiday season. Everyone will love it.

14. Nikki December 22, 2017 at 2:45 pm - Reply

I love the idea of using maps to make the magnets. I collect magnets from places I have been, and this would be an easy and fun way to round out my collection of places that I didn’t have a chance to buy magnets from!

15. Farrah Less G. December 22, 2017 at 3:22 pm - Reply

I collect fridge magnet memorabilia from our traveling. This is so cool to have a great addition to my collections.

16. HilLesha December 22, 2017 at 5:12 pm - Reply

I forgot how fun and versatile Mod Podge can be, but this an easy craft that I’d love to try sometime. Thank you for sharing the tutorial!

17. Debra Hawkins December 22, 2017 at 8:50 pm - Reply

My mom has made these for her grandkids for years! I absolutely cherish them because they can fit each child’s personality!

18. Chubskulit Rose December 23, 2017 at 3:19 am - Reply

Now those are some crafty beautiful magnets! I bet my daughter would enjoy making these!

19. Kate | Life of a Ginger December 28, 2017 at 6:42 pm - Reply

These are so cute! I can think of so many gift ideas with these magnets!