Fall is in the air! There’s nothing that says autumn more than baking something pumpkin-y. Here is a recipe from one of our favorite guest bloggers, the Mix and Match Mama!
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 (12 oz) can pumpkin
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9×9 inch baking dish.
- Melt chocolate and butter in heat-proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water (see pic below) stirring occasionally until smooth.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in large bowl, set aside. In second bowl, beat sugar, eggs and vanilla with electric mixer until well combined and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Beat in flour mixture until combined.
- Divide batter between two bowls. Stir chocolate mixture into one of the bowls and then pumpkin, oil and cinnamon into second bowl. Transfer half of chocolate batter into greased baking dish, smooth. Add half of pumpkin mixture on top of chocolate in baking dish. Repeat with remaining chocolate batter, repeat with remaining pumpkin batter (you should have four layers total).
- Using a butter knife, swirl the two batters to create a marbled effect. Bake 40-45 minutes. Cool in pan, cut. Makes about 16 squares.
Not only is Shay Shull the big sister to the Bachelor star Sean Lowe, she is also a busy mom of two toddlers and travel agency business owner. Determined to get a healthy, quick and satisfying dinner on the table each night for her family, Shay created Mix and Match Mama, a recipe site full of quick and easy recipes that can be mixed and matched to create even more dinners and desserts for busy women on the go. It’s more about the method than the recipe.