10 Reasons You Should Consider Cloth Diapers

10 Reasons to Cloth Diaper
 Expecting?  Have a baby in diapers?  Don’t throw your money away!  Consider cloth.
 cloth diapers
Here are 10 reasons you need to take a look at modern cloth diapers.

Eli Monster Cloth Diaper
10. They’re adorable.  The prints, the colors, the fluffy soft fabrics.  Aah.
Bumgenius 4.0  Cloth Diaper

9. They’re more like disposables than ever.  With “all-in one” styles and Velcro closures available, even new Daddies and babysitters will have no trouble.  Cloth diapers aren’t plastic pants and prefolds anymore!

money

8. They can save you money.  Dirty Diaper Laundry showed how you can cloth diaper for around $60.  Even with more expensive styles, they cost less over time than disposables and they have resale value when you’re finished with them.  Let’s see you do that with disposable diapers!

laundry

7. You will do less laundry.  What?  Yep.  I had so many blowouts with disposables that I regularly had to wash entire outfits.  Cloth contains messes so well that I swear I do less laundry, even with washing diapers!

cloth diapers

6. Cloth is convenient.  Washing, stuffing and folding diapers is convenient?  Yes!  No running out to the store to get diapers, trying to hurry up and use up a pack of now too-small diapers, no clipping coupons, sale shopping and trying to stockpile the right size diapers!  No stinky trash, no hauling dirty diapers and empty diaper packages to the curb either.

washing cloth diapers

5. Washing cloth diapers isn’t hard.  You don’t have to dunk them in the toilet or soak them in bleach.  You don’t even need expensive detergents.  Many moms have great success using whatever detergent they have on hand.

GroVia Cloth Diaper

4. It doesn’t have to be all or nothing.  The diaper police won’t come and arrest you if you use disposables at night, on trips or at daycare.  I promise.  There are even diapers available with disposable inserts (like Flip and GroVia.)

Bumgenius Cloth Diapers

3. Everyone else is doing it.  Cloth is starting to go mainstream, and some people are finding cloth diapering products in grocery and drug stores.  Even celebrities are using cloth diapers!

Plump Diapers

2. You might like it.  Lots of people who switch for a certain reason (to save money, or cut down on rashes) are surprised to find that cloth diapering becomes a hobby.  Putting a cute fluffy diaper on your baby is fun, and stacking clean diapers up nice and neat is relaxing!

1. If you cloth diaper, what is the #1 reason you think other parents should consider cloth diapers?

Fitteds and Pockets and Snappis, oh my!

Comments

1. 1
    linz says:

I started to save money, but my #1 reason I’ve continued is because my 2nd baby has had NO rash issues. My 1st has horrible rash issues. I love cloth and I love that my baby’s bottom is always rash free!

2. 2
    Maria says:

Wow, I can’t believe I left that off this list, that’s the #1 reason why I switched!

3. 3
    JulieK says:

what a great list – well I would have also left rashing issue off MY personal list b/c my son had NO rashes with disposables but has had a lot with cloth. I am not saying they ARE from the cloth, but all I know is that whenever I put him in the sposies they clear up. I have tried everything – stripping, sunning, all-natural fabrics, barrier/liners… sometimes he’s okayfor weeks and then he gets a flareup . Sigh.

4. 4
    linz says:

JulieK – that stinks! I guess it depends on the kid. What kind of cloth do you use? I had some problems with rashes with my dd when we switched her to cloth, but vinegar & an extra rinse seemed to solve it. Hope you find a solution!

5. 5
    Maria says:

Julie, is it any particular diapers that seem to cause the rash to flare up? Some kids have a sensitivity to PUL, suedecloth, or even the wetness of natural materials.

If he’s sometimes OK for weeks, I wonder if it’s a washing issue. Do you have hard water? What detergent do you use/how much/what wash routine?

That’s such a shame. :-(

6. 6
    Shira says:

It might be amonia burns from not using enough water in the wash or not getting your diapers clean enough. There are some soaks you can use once a week or so, or vinegar to get them extra clean. It is much harder to get diapers clean with He machines, since they are designed to use less water. Try running a rinse with vinegar (remember, don’t put vinegar in the bleach dispenser)

7. 7
    Nadia says:

Great info!

8. 8
    judi says:

This is great list! Ultimately my main reason comes down to money. With an income around 20k a year every penny counts around here.

Trackbacks

1. [...] 10 Reasons You Should Consider Cloth Diapers — A Nation of Moms No stinky trash, no hauling dirty diapers and empty diaper packages to the curb either. washing cloth diapers 5. Washing cloth diapers isn't hard. You don't have to dunk them in the toilet or soak them in bleach. [...]