Moving in itself is a daunting task, but if you add kids and pets to the equation, it gets twice as challenging. Luckily, there are many moving tips to help you keep the process smooth and easy. Here are just a few of them discussed next.
How to Tackle Moving If You are Moving with Children?
It’s important to keep the children involved in the moving process. Discuss how they would want to spend the last week before the relocation and plan the meals that your family will consume.
· Make packing timetables to reduce the tension at the last minute. Determine in advance who will be traveling in each vehicle and how everyone will get to the new house in a chaos-free manner.
· A moving-week plan helps reduce stress for kids and yourself. Getting them involved early on helps them feel like they also have a responsibility and that you trust them with something important. The more involved kids are, the easier it will be to pack and unpack.
· Kids need to feel excited about their new home and neighborhood. Ask them what they are excited about. They may be excited about the new school, new parks, a new playground, or a new playroom.
· The children will feel more comfortable in their new home if they have seen local attractions. Taking a virtual drive around the new town will help alleviate any uncertainty.
· If you’re moving on a weekday, make sure you schedule time for unpacking. You may also want to plan meals for the next few weeks.
If moving with children gets overwhelming for you, you can always hire professional movers like Safebound Moving & Storage.
1. Come up with Moving To-do Lists
Put together a to-do list. This includes putting together a list of local contractors, service providers, and retailers who can help make your move a smoother experience. While you’re at it, let your kids do some of the legwork. They’ll enjoy being involved in the process. This is a great opportunity for them to learn more about giving and receiving. For instance, you can ask them to donate any toys that they don’t play with anymore.
Taking the time to come up with a moving to-do list is the best way to make sure you’re not forgetting anything important. From deciding on which contractors to hire to ensure your kids will get to enjoy your new home, you’ll be happy you did.
2. Color-code Moving Boxes
Having a color-coded moving box system can make the process of moving a lot easier. Colored packing tape can help you identify boxes by room, and different colored labels can make it easy to find items when you unpack.
Color coding can be done with packing tape, or you can create your system. You can place a color key on each door of your home, or you can put a colored sticker on a doorway. If you have kids, they will enjoy choosing the colors for the tape.
You can also use a color key or a colored sticker to indicate which room a box will be placed in. For instance, if you are moving into a new home, you might want to color-code the boxes that go to the kids’ room. You can let them code their boxes in their favorite colored tabs. The important thing is to choose a color for each room.
3. Utilize Kid-free Packing Time
If your kids are too young to help you with the moving process, using kid-free packing time is important when moving. The first step in using kid-free packing time is to make sure you have a good plan for keeping your kids busy while you are packing. This includes a fun activity bag. If your kids like outdoor games, they can play while you are unpacking.
4. Pack Overnight Bags for Everyone
Getting ready to embark on a big move is no small task, especially if you’re a parent. Thankfully, you can streamline the process by packing the must-haves first. In addition to the usuals, make sure to include a few of the kids’ favorites in the mix.
If you’re having a hard time concentrating, take a moment to remind yourself of the little ones. This will motivate you to try and make the process as smooth as possible so your children aren’t troubled.
5. Hire a Professional Moving Service
Moving with kids is no piece of cake but it can become one if you hire Safebound Moving & Storage. We take care of the entire moving process: from packing, transit, and then unpacking so you don’t need to worry about anything and focus on yourself and the kids
Leave A Comment