Body butter is a nutrient-rich cream made of natural oils and butter to protect, hydrate, and nourish your skin. At room temperature, body butter is semi-solid compared to lotions. Store-bought chemical lotions, full of artificial colors and scents, may harm your skin in the long run. On the other hand, homemade body butter made with unrefined wholesome, natural, and organic ingredients, reduces wrinkles, soothes eczema, sunburns, rashes. It forms a protective barrier over the skin, soothes and moisturizes the skin with antioxidants and vitamins.
Here are three easy-to-make body butter formula to soothe your skin all year long. The first one is turmeric, the second one is cannabis, and the third one is rosemary. You will find turmeric and rosemary in your local grocery store, but for cannabis, you may visit any authorized dispensary in Maryland. Some of the best cannabis distributors are from the state of Maryland.
Turmeric Body Butter: Turmeric is also known as the golden herb. Turmeric has an ample amount of therapeutic properties. Its medicinal values include antibacterial, antifungal, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties. Turmeric also contains multiple healthy nutrients, vitamins C, E, K, and minerals. It is used in India since ancient times for beauty regimes and skincare.
- In a heatproof bowl, melt 2 cups of Shea butter using a double boiler. Cool the butter for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Mix 1 ½ tablespoon of organic turmeric powder with 2 drops of essential oil of your choice using a blender or a hand blender.
- Mix until the turmeric butter becomes fluffy.
- Then add 1/3 cup of coconut oil and mix it for 1 minute until the coconut oil and butter are combined.
- Use a spoon to transfer the butter to containers. Store it in a fridge to prevent it from melting.
Cannabis Body Butter: Cannabis is one of the active compounds found in the hemp plant. It is a powerful antioxidant. It protects from skin damage and calms irritated skin. Follow this recipe to make the CBD butter:
- Soak ½ cup hemp seeds in 1 cup of olive oil overnight.
- The next day, in a double boiler, combine the cup hemp seed soaked olive oil and one tablespoon of each calendula, plantain, oat straw, and marshmallow root.
- Simmer the herb oil for 1–2 hours in low heat.
- Clean the double boiler and melt half a cup of unrefined Shea butter.
- In a separate container mix the herb-infused oil with one tablespoon of vitamin E and arrowroot powder and mix it with a fork.
- When it looks like the butter has started to harden, pour the oil and arrowroot solution.
- Mix with a hand mixer for 1 – 2 minutes, until it becomes fluffy.
- With a spoon, pour the butter into containers and store it in a cool and dry place. Use it for up to 2 months.
Rosemary Body Butter: Rosemary is very easy on how to get a hold of it smells earthen and soothing. When rosemary is used in making skin care products, it helps protect your skin from damage caused by Sun. Some studies have also proven that using rosemary butter can prevent future acne breakouts. Now, for rosemary butter:
- Place one cup unrefined Shea butter 1/2 cup coconut oil, 1/2 cup almond oil, and 2 – 3 branches of rosemary in a double boiler and let it mix for at least 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, turn off the heat and let it rest for at least two hours.
- Allow the butter and oils to absorb the nutrients from the rosemary.
- Strain the rosemary leaves using cheesecloth.
- Finally, for fluffiness, with a hand blender combine the mixture while adding 2 – 3 drops of essential oil of your choice.
- Scoop it into your favorite jars or containers.
- Freeze and use it for up to 1 month.
Lotions usually contain 5 to 10% of moisturizing butter and oil 70 — 80% of water. On the other hand, body butter is a mixture of oils, butter, and herbs. They are concentrated moisturizers loaded with essential vitamins and nutrients. They are always denser and lighter compared to lotions and promotes a healthy glow.