Thursday, March 12. 

A normal day for us, and while all the buzz was about Coronavirus, I went to work, the kids had music lessons, swim team.  At swim, we learned that championships were being cancelled, which came as a shock, leaving the older girls on the team in shock.  I couldn’t imagine working so hard and being in your final year(s) of high school and missing out.

I did have a feeling schools would close soon, so I told the kids that when they went to school on Friday, they should bring home as much stuff as they could, or at least anything important they might want if schools closed.

We did do some pre-emptive shopping, since we knew that store shelves were clearing out.  By the time we made it to the stores, there was no soap, toilet paper, or bleach.  And very limited other supplies, like butter or cheese.

Friday, March 13, 5:21am.

We received messages that our school district was closed.

My kids stayed home while I went to work for a few hours, but all day long I was getting messages about Coronavirus in our area.

Friday night, my daughter’s friends were telling her that she was in contact with classmates who tested positive for Coronavirus, so she was extremely upset and worried.

Saturday, March 14. 

I felt on edge all day, thinking that we would be contacted that my daughter had come in contact.  It was a nice day out, so my husband and younger daughter went to the park for a couple hours while I took care of things around the house.  My daughter and I were playing Clue when my phone starting going off.  One message after another.. “Did you get the e-mail?”

We got the e-mail.  The e-mail that says my 7th grader came in contact with someone who has tested positive.  And that she has to be in mandatory quarantine, in her room, for two weeks, and can’t come within 6′ of anyone.

From what I can gather, about half of our 7th graders are in quarantine, so lots of people in our local area are going through the same, including lots of friends.

Since then…

Life has changed.

We offer “room service” for my daughter.  Fortunately I had a lot of disposable plates and cutlery from when we entertain.  Lots of FaceTiming, phone calls, and texting.

My daughter “celebrated” her 13th birthday on March 19.  We left food and presents at her door, FaceTimed.  Fortunately, I had purchased some frozen desserts for her birthday, since originally it was going to be a busy Thursday night.  She wanted to have a big celebration with her friends, and now she isn’t sure what will happen.  Coronavirus in our area hasn’t peaked yet, so things will get worse before it gets better.

We are staying isolated.  Check in on your friends and family, even if just a social “visit”!

How do we talk to a neighbor or friend if they stop by?  We stand on our porch, they stand at least 6′ away, usually on the lawn or road.

We go on a lot of walks… everyone switches sides of the road as we pass by.  Lots of people are going out to hike, but we are being careful and sticking to places that are not busy and have wide trails where people can keep their distance.

I picked up our cat’s medication on Friday.  I paid ahead of time, drove to the parking lot, and called the receptionist.  She had me give my name and describe my vehicle, and she came out in a mask and gloves and dropped the pill bottle in my hand.

We haven’t panicked, we aren’t panic-buying, but we are well-stocked for the meantime.  We are lucky to have the support of friends and neighbors, and are going to be helping others.

It is hard, but we are figuring out our new normal.

I recommend staying social (phone/text/e-mail/etc), coming up with a list of products, getting fresh air (while social distancing), learning new things, using the time for things you usually don’t have time for, spending quality time with your kids.