Penn Dixie Fossil Park & Nature Reserve, Blasdell, NY

Penn Dixie Fossil Park

I was provided tickets in exchange for a post about our experience.

We love finding places to explore, and have been talking about going to Penn Dixie for years.

Located in Blasdell, New York, Penn Dixie is just south of Buffalo.  We used Google Maps to get there, and had no problem finding it.

We checked in at a building at the front of the park.  There is a lot of helpful information as well as items for rent or purchase.  For example you can rent tools, and there are some souvenirs for sale.

Penn Dixie Blasdell New York

We headed out to join a free informational tour.  Our guide, Holly, was very knowledgable and took us to different parts around the park to show us a variety of fossils.  She also helped us with tips about getting fossils out of rocks (more often, leaving them in the rock so they stay intact).

Penn Dixie Blasdell New York

Penn Dixie Blasdell New York

It was also nice to see samples of what we might find when we first arrived, and during the tour.  We found a lot of horn corals (or as we called them, “Sorting Hats”), brachiopods, crinoids, and trilobites (or at least pieces of trilobites).

Penn Dixie Fossil Park Trilobites

Just searching for a few minutes, I found a whole bunch of brachiopods and corals in one spot.  No digging, no tools – just looking through the very top layer of soil.

Penn Dixie

There is no shortage of fossils, and they are always digging out new areas of the park.

Penn Dixie Fossil Park

Penn Dixie Fossil Park

One of the things we were looking forward to seeing most at Penn Dixie were trilobites.  While we didn’t find a whole, intact trilobite, we found lots of pieces and imprints.

Penn Dixie Fossil Park Trilobites

I also liked searching for crinoids, and found lots of segments of stems.

Penn Dixie Blasdell New York

Penn Dixie Fossil Park

After exploring the park for a while, collecting a variety of fossils, we headed out.

Penn Dixie Blasdell New York

We had an interesting time searching for fossils, and it was a fun learning experience for the kids.

We arrived mid-morning on a Saturday, and there was plenty of parking.  There are also porta-potties in the parking lot.

Penn Dixie

What to bring:

~ be prepared for hot weather in the summer!  Hats, sunscreen, water.
~ something to carry your fossils in (ziploc baggies work, and tote bags)
~ we brought tools, and you can also rent tools.  However, we didn’t use too many, as most fossils were loose.  You may want to try your hand at breaking up larger rocks to see what fossils may be present in the layers.

Visit Penn Dixie at

By | 2018-10-01T12:25:20+00:00 August 21st, 2018|Travel|26 Comments

1. robin rue August 21, 2018 at 12:20 pm - Reply

No way!!!! This is seriously cool! My youngest son would love to dig for fossils. I see a road trip in our near future.

2. Terri Steffes August 21, 2018 at 1:31 pm - Reply

I’m such a kid at heart. I know I would adore this!! I think that I would also enjoy watching young kids and making their discoveries! Awesome place!

3. GiGi Eats August 21, 2018 at 2:05 pm - Reply

THIS reminds me of when I was a kid and I would go to nature camps in my home state of WY. I loved it!!!

4. candy August 21, 2018 at 2:11 pm - Reply

Never knew this place existed. This would be so fun for any age to go and find some really neat fossils and rocks. Great learning experience.

5. Amber Myers August 21, 2018 at 2:48 pm - Reply

This is so neat! My kids would love to do this. They like to dig for fossils. I’ll have to see if there’s a place like this nearby.

6. Melanie August 21, 2018 at 4:44 pm - Reply

My kids adore adventures like this. We went to Fairy Stone park in Virginia last year, and it was their favorite trip ever! They enjoy outdoor things.

7. Tasheena August 21, 2018 at 4:45 pm - Reply

This looks like something that my son would love. What a cool experience. I’m always looking for fun places to take the boys, this would be such a fun day trip.

8. Alyssa from The Sparkly Life August 21, 2018 at 6:16 pm - Reply

How cool! My son would go nuts for all of those fossils!

9. Nikki August 21, 2018 at 6:31 pm - Reply

What a neat place to spend an afternoon! I live in PA, so Blasdell wouldn’t be a terribly long trip. Definitely a weekend trip vs day trip, but totally doable! I love fossils.

10. Sarah Bailey August 21, 2018 at 11:39 pm - Reply

Oh my goodness I want to go here! It looks amazing! I would love to finding those fossils, just wow! I had no idea there was somewhere like this.

11. Heather August 21, 2018 at 11:50 pm - Reply

I didn’t know that New York had any kind of nature. I’m a west coaster and never been before. I thought it was all just cememnt and buildings. Its neat to find stuff like this out in nature.

12. Scarlett Brooklyn August 22, 2018 at 2:25 am - Reply

Thats a cool expeerience ever. I would love to visit that kind of beautiful spots too, to know and discover new things.

13. valmg @ Mom Knows It All August 22, 2018 at 3:56 am - Reply

I’ve never heard of this place, it sounds like a great place for a family fun day. It would be so interesting to see what could be found and learn about it.

14. Chubskulit Rose August 22, 2018 at 10:41 am - Reply

Now this is a place my kids would love to visit. They love finding things like this when we visit a new place.

15. Janet W. August 22, 2018 at 12:00 pm - Reply

My grandsons would love to look for fossils! What a fun experience!

16. lisalisa August 22, 2018 at 12:35 pm - Reply

Wow, now this is cool! My kids would love to visit, they’re all about learning about nature. Being able to discover fossils would be so cool.

17. Kelly Reci August 22, 2018 at 1:12 pm - Reply

Love the fact that you call the corals “sorting hats.” This place looks like tons of family fun!

18. Jeanine August 22, 2018 at 3:50 pm - Reply

Whoa those trilobites are so cool. This is something I would love to do and know my kids would too. What fun!

19. Richard Brandt August 22, 2018 at 7:02 pm - Reply

I loved fossils since I was a kid – this place must be paradise for kids like me!

20. Calshondra Williams August 23, 2018 at 5:19 am - Reply

My kids would love to dig up fossils and I would as well. This is definitely a family friendly place. Thanks for sharing.

21. brianne August 23, 2018 at 12:23 pm - Reply

What an awesome park and how cool. My kids would flip to go here!

22. stephanie August 23, 2018 at 1:48 pm - Reply

i need to visit this place!! so cool!!

23. Terri Beavers August 23, 2018 at 3:00 pm - Reply

Now that is a place the grandkids would love. I have two that are so interested in science, I can see them searching this place from top to bottom for fun fossil finds.

24. Dana Rodriguez August 27, 2018 at 10:34 pm - Reply

I would have loved to visit there as a kid. I had a huge fossil collection!

25. Shelly August 31, 2018 at 11:20 am - Reply

How fun! My kids love finding fossils. When I was in 4th grade I remember going out to a river bed and searching for fossils and it left lasting memories.

26. Beverly Mckinley September 18, 2018 at 2:46 am - Reply

you should come see the grand canyon. but he water already washed that stuff away.