Eternal Flame Falls, Orchard Park, NY

Eternal Flame Falls Orchard Park New York

On a recent trip to the Buffalo area, we visited a county park where a hiker told us about Eternal Flame Falls.  We headed over, definitely interested in checking out something different.  This park has an eternal flame that is powered by natural gas seeping through cracks in the rocks.

We used Google Maps to get there, heading south on Route 277.  As we reached Chestnut Ridge Park, there was a big sign directing us towards the Eternal Flame 1.5 miles up the road, so we continued.  The parking lot is very large and labeled as the Eternal Flame lot.  We were there late in the afternoon, and considering the size of the parking lot and also the worn trail, we are pretty sure this place gets packed.

Eternal Flame Parking lot

The trailhead has a lot of information, and there are also brochures / trail maps you can take with you.

Eternal Flame Trailhead

The trail is very clearly labeled with numbered “flames” on the trees.  I believe it went from #1-#25, and the trail isn’t long (I believe about .5-.6 of a mile each way).  Even when we head back out, the numbers count down for you.

Eternal Flame Trail Marker

The trail appears to be well-used, with wide, well-packed paths.  There are other trails in the park, so if you are going there to see the Eternal Flame specifically, be sure to follow the flame markers.

Eternal Flame Trail

Eternal Flame Trail Markers

The trail is fairly easy, and my 8 and 11 year old had no problem hiking it.  We saw other little kids and some older folks as well.  While there are steep portions on the trail and some slippery spots, it seems easy enough to navigate if you take your time.

Eternal Flame Trail

There are parts of the trail that are composed of the actual stream bed.  When we went, it was mostly dried up, but there could be times of year when the water is running, so be prepared for the possibility of getting your feet wet.

Eternal Flame Trail

We saw a small trickle of a waterfall off the side of the trail on our way to the flame.

Eternal Flame Waterfall

We continued walking along the stream bed to get to the flame.

Eternal Flame

The walls rise up along the stream to form a ravine.

Eternal Fall Cliff

The flame is pretty cool, and bigger than I expected.  It is in a natural rock grotto that protects it from the elements.

Eternal Flame

It was definitely worth the hike to the eternal flame.  The trail was short and scenic, and we had fun checking out the flame.

Check out this park online

at the Erie County Parks page here

(including a map of the trail)

By | 2018-08-21T02:09:52+00:00 August 14th, 2018|hiking, Travel|23 Comments

1. susan August 15, 2018 at 7:44 pm - Reply

Wow! Fantastic pictures! I feel like I was on the trip with you. How cool is that to see the eternal flame!

2. Marcie W. August 15, 2018 at 8:29 pm - Reply

Fun! Living in a dry desert climate means the gorgeous trees alone are enough to bring me on board. Of course, hiking to the Eternal Flame would be amazing as well.

3. Terri Steffes August 16, 2018 at 12:49 am - Reply

That’s incredibly beautiful. To think that it sits there 24/7 is an amazing thought.

4. Ruth I August 16, 2018 at 11:08 am - Reply

What an amazing place for adventure. I love exploring places like this. I bet it was fun!

5. Tim B August 16, 2018 at 12:55 pm - Reply

We always find going for a hike on nature trails a nice way to spend some quality family time. Always appreciate a site that has a “pay off moment” like coming across animals, birds or a scenic site like this. If I am ever in the area will absolutely take some time to explore Eternal Flame Falls based upon the great pics in this post.

6. Lynndee August 16, 2018 at 2:06 pm - Reply

The eternal flame sounds amazing. I would love to see it in person. We have a lot of beautiful falls here in NC too, but nothing like the eternal flame.

7. Rachel August 16, 2018 at 3:58 pm - Reply

I love having a beautiful destination at the end when hiking. It makes it seem so worth it.

8. Jeanine August 16, 2018 at 4:14 pm - Reply

Wow what a place to hike. It looks dreamy. I wish we had some places like this nearby us, I think I’d hike more for sure!

9. jereann August 16, 2018 at 6:13 pm - Reply

Such a beautiful place to hike! That eternal flame is incredible to see.

10. That is so cool. This trail looks beautiful. I miss being able to go on vacation to Colorado. We used to go every year when I was growing up. It was fun being able to walk the trails, play in the creek, and take in everything around you.

11. Heather August 16, 2018 at 8:43 pm - Reply

There’s something about the trees that calls to me! I would love to check out the Eternal Flame. Such a great pay-off for a hike with the kids to see something cool like that!

12. Theresa | Bridesmaids Confession August 16, 2018 at 8:58 pm - Reply

I think it is a great idea to get kids outside and exploring. Get them away from technology for a bit.

13. Julie August 17, 2018 at 1:06 pm - Reply

What a gorgeous place to hike with family! Looks like a great day!

14. Laura August 18, 2018 at 8:42 am - Reply

It must have been fun to explore this place. It looks amazing and beautiful that the whole family would really enjoy.

15. Mimi August 20, 2018 at 4:39 pm - Reply

What a beautiful place to on a hike! So nice

16. Paula @ I'm Busy Being Awesome August 20, 2018 at 4:43 pm - Reply

This place looks amazing! Falls are so peaceful to look at

17. Ruthie Ridley August 20, 2018 at 5:26 pm - Reply

What a wonderful adventure! Looks so peaceful!

18. Rachel August 21, 2018 at 1:14 am - Reply

I lived in Buffalo for YEARS and I had no idea that this existed!

19. Janet W. August 21, 2018 at 12:20 pm - Reply

Nature at its finest! What a beautiful place to visit and explore!

20. Melissa August 21, 2018 at 3:29 pm - Reply

Okay that is really cool!!! Mother nature sure is amazing <3 And being from Canada this isn't TOO far away either, I will have to write it in our travel book so I remember to check it out one day!

21. shannon fowler August 21, 2018 at 10:51 pm - Reply

We got a chance to hike some in New York a couple of years ago, but this was not one of them. This would be awesome to go back and see.

22. Cheryl Everitt August 22, 2018 at 8:16 pm - Reply

Wow! Thank you for sharing these awesome pictuures. Eternal Flame Falls will be a great trip for my family.

23. rhonda miotke August 26, 2018 at 6:25 pm - Reply

This looks like a beautiful place to visit.