The Bronx Zoo, Bronx, NY

The Bronx Zoo

Our family visited the Bronx Zoo a couple years ago, and we recently returned for a school field trip.  The Bronx Zoo is a great place to explore, and fun for all ages.

Bronx Zoo

Getting there

We drove to the zoo for our first trip there, finding the parking lot with no issues using Google Maps.  The second time, we took a tour bus, which was convenient (but usually won’t get you a full day).  Just remember that there are multiple parking lots, so take note of where you parked or where your bus is.

Admission

There are different levels of admission tickets, and I recommend checking online beforehand so that you can make a decision.  We purchased tickets that included all the different experiences, like the monorail, tram, gorilla exhibit, etc.  In addition to your tickets, there are some other additional things you can purchase, like an adventure course, camel rides, etc.

Exploring

There is so much to see at the zoo!  I highly recommend taking a good look at a map or list of exhibits beforehand so that you can come up with your priorities.  The first time we went, we walked as much as we could, and still didn’t get to see the entire zoo.  It is doubtful you can see everything even in a full day, so check out a map and prioritize what you want to do.

You may also want to plan your day around the zoo schedule, such as the sea lion feeding or other events going on.

It is good to plan on doing a lot of walking, as the zoo covers a large area, and even going to just a handful of exhibits can mean wandering quite a distance.

Bronx Zoo

I love that there are plenty of things for kids to do, from a children’s zoo (that even my 11 year old enjoyed), to fun exhibits and cute animals.

Bronx Zoo

There is quite a variety of animals at the Bronx Zoo, from a huge giraffe exhibit, to the Mouse House, where you can see small rodents.

Bronx Zoo

The monorail is pretty cool, since it takes you a distance around the park.  Crossing over the Bronx River, you’d hardly remember you are in the heart of the Bronx and that there are highways nearby.

Bronx Zoo Monorail

During the monorail ride, we also enjoyed seeing some of the bigger animals that we didn’t see elsewhere (like a rhino wallowing in a mud bath!).  You can literally see herds of animals running around, which again, is pretty cool to see.

Bronx Zoo

There are some newer additions to the Bronx Zoo that aren’t as animal based, but the kids found interesting, like this nature walk.  There is also a ropes course, in which kids can zipline and do a variety of challenges.

Bronx Zoo Nature Walk

Food

You can bring your own food and drinks into the zoo, which is a nice option, although it means you’ll have to carry it.  They have some good basics, like pizza and pretzels, which we were happy about since we are a vegetarian family.  I did buy a salad that was $8-9, and while it was a big salad, it would have been nice to have a cheaper option too.

Souvenirs

Going to the zoo has been a special treat, and we like to visit the gift shop before heading out.  There are a variety of shops around the premises that offer everything from clothing to stuffed animals, mugs, and more.

Visit the Bronx Zoo at https://bronxzoo.com/

Check out my tips for visiting the zoo:

By | 2018-06-26T03:05:38+00:00 June 26th, 2018|Travel|20 Comments

1. Candy June 26, 2018 at 3:59 pm - Reply

We have been to many zoos but not the Bronx zoo. Looks like it would be a fun zoo to visit and see all the animals

2. Melissa Chapman June 26, 2018 at 4:12 pm - Reply

I have been to the Bronx Zoo and it is a nice oasis in the middle of our big city and a real treasure. I would love to go back again now that the kids are older.

3. Tasheena June 26, 2018 at 5:28 pm - Reply

This looks like a wonderful time. I haven’t visited the Bronx Zoo in years. Would love to visit with my family.

4. Jenn @ EngineerMommy June 26, 2018 at 6:29 pm - Reply

It has been a while since I visited the Bronx zoo. My kids love animals so I really should make another trip there soon. There is so much to see at the zoo.

5. Terri Steffes June 26, 2018 at 10:16 pm - Reply

While I love the idea of a zoo, I am not a fan of them. We have a wonderful zoo here in St. Louis, free to the public. My daughter and I watched a baby giraffe be born. It was awesome.

6. Pam June 26, 2018 at 10:27 pm - Reply

We always love visiting zoos when we travel. The Bronx Zoo looks like a lot of fun To check out.

7. Heather June 26, 2018 at 11:15 pm - Reply

I hope one day I can take my family there. It is definitely a place my kids would love.

8. Sue Reddel June 27, 2018 at 2:07 am - Reply

We love zoos and I can’t believe that we haven’t been to the Bronx zoo. I love all the extra experiences they have that would be fun for kids.

9. Jenn June 27, 2018 at 2:25 am - Reply

This looks like so much fun! We hope to get there on our next visit!

10. Ricci June 27, 2018 at 5:23 am - Reply

I love a good zoo and have never made it to the Bronx Zoo! Sounds like I need to put it on my NYC list for my next trip!!

11. Roch June 27, 2018 at 7:33 am - Reply

Kids always love visiting the zoo. It’s a great family outdoor adventure where you can teach them about animals in actual and not only in photos. It’s more fun when the weather is cool.

12. Chubskulit Rose June 27, 2018 at 12:41 pm - Reply

Is that a ground hog that your daughter is looking at? Bronx Zoo looks like a great place to explore with kids.

13. Karen Morse June 27, 2018 at 12:53 pm - Reply

Such a fun place to take the kids to. As a teacher, I recommend museums, aquariums and zoos to parents since it’s bound to give the kids a fun learning experience!

14. Reesa Lewandowski June 27, 2018 at 3:27 pm - Reply

I have been going to the Bronx Zoo since I was a little kid. It’s one of my favorite places!

15. Carol Cassara June 27, 2018 at 4:11 pm - Reply

The zoo is a wonderful place for families and kids. I love that they get the chance to interact with animals and learn more about them as well. It’s really important that they do because they grow an appreciation for the animals and have more determination to help save them. Bronx Zoo is an awesome place!

16. Peter June 27, 2018 at 6:39 pm - Reply

I have always wanted to visit the Bronx zoo. It’s very beautiful and I still aim on going there

17. Louisa June 28, 2018 at 6:33 am - Reply

I have never been to the Bronx Zoo but it looks like an amazing experience. The view over the monorail is spectacular.

18. Bianca Dottin June 28, 2018 at 1:10 pm - Reply

The Bronx Zoo is on our family bucket list. I’ve been to New York more than a dozen times and have never been.

19. Heather June 28, 2018 at 1:37 pm - Reply

My kids love animals, so a zoo is always a good choice for their entertainment. I’ve never been to the Bronx Zoo before but it looks awesome! That mole house is cracking me up!

20. Kate Andrews June 29, 2018 at 1:22 am - Reply

I love the Bronx Zoo. It is such a beautiful place in the middle of such a busy city. And it’s a lot of fun!