Tips for Visiting Xcaret Park, Mexico

Xcaret Tips

One of our favorite destinations in Mexico is easily Xcaret Park (you can read my full review here).  There is so much to see and do at Xcaret, from swimming and snorkeling to visiting the beach, seeing wildlife, and experiencing Mexican culture.  I recommend plenty of planning so that you can enjoy as much of the park as possible.  Here are some of our tips:

Xcaret Admission

~ Get there early ~

Changes are, you may be visiting the park as part of a tour.  But the park opens at 9, and there is a fantastic show from about 7-9 pm, and even spending 12 hours there, I think we maybe saw half the park.  Get a good night’s rest and try to pack in as much as you can!  I would have easily gone back for another day even after spending a full day!  Plan accordingly.

While I didn’t think the admissions lines were particularly long, you can buy your tickets ahead of time online if you want to streamline your day.

You can visit Experiencias Xcaret to book your tickets right online.  Remember that Children from 5 to 11 years old are 50% OFF of the adult price and children under 4 are FREE of charge. (Be prepared to show ID at the park office).

Xcaret Map
~ Check out a map ahead of time ~

Before you go, get an idea of what is available, so you can prioritize.  There are tons of activities to do, from swimming to lounging on the beach, watching performances, visiting a butterfly garden, and more.  Then, there are paid activities like a sting-ray encounter, parasailing, and much more.  We tried to fit in as much as we could.

Not only should you plan ahead, but keep a map on you.  I was worried when we went because people said the park was so big and people had gotten lost, but Xcaret is SO organized.  We would check the map for our destination and simply follow a color-coded path – plus, there are signs everywhere.

~ Sun protection ~

The park does not allow regular sunscreen.  You can trade in your sunscreen for a sample of reef-safe sunscreen there, but my recommendation is to wear a rash guard and bring your own reef-safe sunscreen.  Most swimming places in the Mayan Riviera request that you wear reef-safe sunscreen anyway.

Mexico Water Shoes

~ Water shoes / sandals / comfortable shoes ~

A lot of the park consists of water-based activities, like swimming, beaches, snorkeling, etc.  We all wore water shoes and that was a great way to get around between water activities.

Xcaret Park

We also had comfortable flip flops with thick soles, which worked well.  There is also a little ropes course in the children’s part of the park, and my kids spent a lot of time doing that, so it was nice to have good shoes.

Even if you don’t want to wear water shoes, I would recommend comfortable shoes for walking around.

Xcaret Show

Plan on staying for the show at night

The show is from about 7-9 pm, and is included in your admission.  It was a really long day for us, especially for the kids – but the show was a perfect way to end the day.  We enjoyed sitting and eating, and enjoying the show.  I recommend getting there a little early (not right at 7) so that you can grab food if you want and get settled in your seats.  Also, the walk along the way is awesome because there are performers all along the way, and it really is an experience.

Xcaret Lockers

~ Decide what to bring and what to rent ~

There are so many amenities available for rent, and you should decide ahead of time what you want to bring vs. rent.

You can rent a locker for your items, but there are also towels and snorkel equipment for rent – which makes it convenient for not having to lug things around the park all day.  We left our snorkel gear in the car and decided to leave it there and not rent.  I would say snorkeling gear is not necessary as we swam the whole river (in life jackets) without a problem.

If you bring your own towels, I highly recommend packable microfiber towels.  These can be folded into a small space and aren’t too heavy either.  Full size towels for our family of four would have been to bulky to lug around, in my opinion.

Xcaret

~ Bring money for food ~

According to their website, you cannot bring your own food into the park. You will want to be prepared and bring money to eat at the park.  You can bring food for children such as formula, milk, and baby food, and there are also family rooms for nursing mothers.

All of the food we had was great, and my youngest loved the buffet at La Isla – which says a lot because she is incredibly picky.  They had everything, from fruit to rice, pasta, meats, and more.  I am a vegetarian and found plenty to eat.

Xcaret

~ Bring cameras and/or buy photos ~

When you enter the park, you are given a bracelet.  All around the park there are stations where you can scan your bracelet, and a photo is automatically taken.  You can check out the photos from the comfort of home and decide if you want to buy them.

We took so many photos that day, on our regular camera, underwater camera, and with the park cameras.  We love having all those memories of such a special day!

What did we do while we were there?

Children’s park – approx 10-11:30am
Lunch at La Isla – 12-1
Swimming in the river – 1-3
Beach – 3-4
Horse Show 5-6
Gift shop and walking to theater 6-7
Show 7-9pm

Xcaret Eco Park mexican Culture, Folklore and Typical Flavors, Underground rivers at Cancun and Riviera Maya.

By | 2018-01-22T20:28:11+00:00 January 22nd, 2018|Travel, Uncategorized|24 Comments

1. Alli Smith January 23, 2018 at 1:24 pm - Reply

Thanks for the tip about the sunscreen. It’s nice to know ahead of time that you can’t use regular sunscreen. The show looks like it’s well worth staying for. Looks like such a fun day!

2. Robin rue January 23, 2018 at 1:24 pm - Reply

Thanks for the tips. This is definitely a place that I would want to visit if I find myself in that area. It looks beautiful there.

3. Amber Myers January 23, 2018 at 1:27 pm - Reply

Oh my gosh, what a fun place to be! I’ll keep these tips in mind if we ever go. I know my kids would have a blast.

4. Terri Beavers January 23, 2018 at 3:23 pm - Reply

We had a trip planned there but it fell through and we went on a cruise instead, lol. I’m going to rprint out your list in case we make it sometime in the future.

5. Jeanette January 23, 2018 at 4:12 pm - Reply

This place looks amazing! I would love to explore this place. We love to travel anyway and plus I like to go all include beaches. We would all have so much fun here.

6. Sarah Bailey January 23, 2018 at 11:01 pm - Reply

Oh my goodness, how fun does Xcaret look! It seems like there is so much to do here and I love that it is an old day place to visit. I could definitely do the swimming and lounging on the beach.

7. Kamika January 23, 2018 at 11:30 pm - Reply

This looks like lots of fun. This is my first time hearing about this place, but now I want to add it to my bucket list!

8. Jenn @ EngineerMommy January 24, 2018 at 12:16 am - Reply

I have never been to xcaret but I hear good things about this place.My friend went there and raved about her experience.

9. Cat January 24, 2018 at 1:28 am - Reply

Wow!! Definitely adding Xcaret to our travel must-see bucket list now! Looks so cool there and so much to do & see!

10. Pam January 24, 2018 at 2:22 am - Reply

I love Xcaret. We went a long time ago and it was so cool to see. It’s good to know about the sunscreen in advance.

11. Franc Ramon January 24, 2018 at 2:43 am - Reply

It’s really best to start early when it comes to Xcaret to make the most of the attractions. It also good to plan out your itinerary to be able to maximize your visit.

12. Chubskulit Rose January 24, 2018 at 11:29 am - Reply

Wow that lagoon is super cool and fascinating. I have never seen or been in a place like that yet.

13. Sara Welch January 24, 2018 at 5:44 pm - Reply

We’re going in March and the kids couldn’t be more excited! I knew it was going to be a ton of fun!

14. Sarah Honey January 24, 2018 at 7:22 pm - Reply

These are great tips. It really looks like a fantastic place to visit. Will remember it next time we’re visiting Mexico.

15. Carol Cassara January 25, 2018 at 12:52 am - Reply

I’ve never been to this park before and it really sounds like a lot of fun! There are plenty of things to do for the whole family and not just the kids. I think it’s a must to see!

16. Erica D Ardali January 25, 2018 at 7:58 am - Reply

Yet another reason to visit Mexico. This park is stunning!

17. Alison Rost January 25, 2018 at 9:56 am - Reply

Adding this to the list of places we need to visit on our next trip to Mexico! Such an exciting place to spend a vacation in. Thanks for all the tips. I’m taking note of them too.

18. Anosa January 25, 2018 at 12:00 pm - Reply

Oh wow what an incredible place, I am planning a trip to Mexico and if time allows I would love to visit Xcaret for sure, thanks for the tips.

19. Vian January 30, 2018 at 1:30 pm - Reply

Wow, great tips, perfectly suited for my next travel destination!

20. Marya January 31, 2018 at 12:03 am - Reply

Looks like a fun trip! There’s so much to discover in Mexico and I hope I can go back soon!

21. Brittany February 1, 2018 at 2:44 am - Reply

Looks like a dream!! Thanks for the tips, hopefully I will get to go someday.

22. Autumn Murray May 3, 2018 at 10:57 pm - Reply

Experiencias Xcaret looks like an amazing location for families!

23. Meagan May 4, 2018 at 9:24 pm - Reply

This looks like a great family destination to visit and great tips!

24. Pam September 30, 2018 at 2:32 pm - Reply

We saw Xel-Ha last time and wanted to see XCaret. Looking forward to it in Nov. 2018. You offer great tips. Thanks.