So Much to Explore at Via Aquarium! Rotterdam, NY

Via Aquarium Rotterdam

I received admission to Via Aquarium in exchange for my review.

We are always looking for things to do as a family, and we love exploring new places. Ever since having kids, I look for new experiences for them.  I was excited to hear when Via Aquarium opened in Rotterdam in November 2016.

You can buy tickets at the main ticket counter, but you can also purchase season passes and scan your cards at a separate entrance.

Via Aquarium Rotterdam

I was pleasantly surprised with the variety at the aquarium – not just with the aquatic life, but that there was a little bit of everything, from displays to interactive touch tanks, written activities, a scavenger hunt, and more.

Via Aquarium Rotterdam

The exhibits start locally with the Adirondacks, slowly stretching across the globe.

Via Aquarium Rotterdam

Everything is clearly labeled with bright signs, which was great to know the names of the different aquatic creatures, and other information like where they were from and other facts.

Via Aquarium Rotterdam

There is a nice variety of exhibits, with a range of aquatic life from around the world.  The exhibits are all beautifully done and it was nice to take our time and thoroughly look at them all.

Via Aquarium Rotterdam

This circular tank is really neat, and it is fun to go inside and be surrounded by fish.  We were all fascinated by a colorful little goby fish that was carefully digging a hole by removing rocks and carrying them in his mouth.

Via Aquarium Rotterdam

The kids had a great time at the touch tanks, and had the chance to check out some sea creatures up close, like a horseshoe crab, starfish, and urchins.

Via Aquarium Rotterdam

Via Aquarium also does a lot to educate people about the plights of marine life, how we are affected, and what we can do.  The exhibits are very visual, and like this one, it makes it clear just how much we need to take care of our oceans.

Via Aquarium Rotterdam

The kids enjoyed an interactive exhibit where an image of flowing water is projected on the floor, and you kick trash to remove it from the water.

Via Aquarium Rotterdam

Stingray Bay is really cool, for kids and adults alike.  You can carefully place your hand in the tank and the stingrays swim by and brush against your hand.  It is a cool experience and was my youngest daughter’s favorite part of the aquarium.

Via Aquarium Rotterdam

Nearby is Koi Island.  The fish come right up to you, and you can feed them by hand.

Via Aquarium Koi

There is an archway near the end of Via Aquarium, and it is nice to be able to view ocean life all around you.  This was my older daughter’s favorite part of the aquarium.

Via Aquarium Rotterdam

There is a nice gift shop at the end, with a variety of items from toys to apparel, books and more.

Via Aquarium Gift Shop

As you walk through the aquarium, there are a bunch of stations where kids can stamp a “passport”, and my daughter earned a patch for finishing her book.

Via Aquarium Passport

Check out the Via Aquarium at

Follow them on Facebook and Twitter.

By | 2017-12-09T23:41:20+00:00 December 1st, 2017|Travel|25 Comments

1. Maryann D. December 4, 2017 at 10:04 am - Reply

We have an aquarium about 45 minutes away that we have visited. My niece had her birthday party there. Via Aquarium does look wonderful and interesting to visit also.

2. Rosie December 4, 2017 at 4:43 pm - Reply

This aquarium is so special, very state of the art! I love how educational it is, in addition to being novel and exciting. It would surely engender an interest in caring about sea life!

3. Amber Ludwig December 4, 2017 at 9:53 pm - Reply

How awesome!! I think the touch tanks would’ve been my fav too!! I love sea life!! Everything under the water is just awesome!! Like being in another world!

4. Jeanette December 5, 2017 at 8:34 pm - Reply

I love exploring aquariums. Sea life especially Dolphins are my favorite but anything to do with the water I love. This place looks awesome if I ever get out that way I will definitely check it out.

5. Stacie December 5, 2017 at 8:38 pm - Reply

How amazing! I love a good aquarium. Whenever we travel as a family, we always look for the city’s aquarium.

6. Danielle December 5, 2017 at 8:39 pm - Reply

You can’t beat a good aquarium. It’s so much fun to explore and learn about undersea life. I love that underwater tunnel!

7. Joely Smith December 5, 2017 at 9:41 pm - Reply

My favorite three things at an aquarium are jellyfish, sea horses, and penguins! I have only been to a couple aquariums in my life but I ABSOLUTELY Love them!

8. Natalie December 5, 2017 at 9:46 pm - Reply

I used to go to the aquarium as a kid. It was definitely fascinating to see all the animals and creatures up close.

9. Leah December 6, 2017 at 2:47 am - Reply

I love the aquarium! I haven’t been to one in years!

10. GiGi Eats December 6, 2017 at 2:56 am - Reply

Okay my favorite littler swimmer has got to be the SEA HORSE!!!!!

11. Sue Reddel December 6, 2017 at 3:39 am - Reply

I’ve never had the chance to visit Rotterdam. The Via Aquarium looks like a great place to visit while in Rotterdam. I love watching the animals.

12. Tomi C December 6, 2017 at 4:21 am - Reply

What an awesome adventure for the entire family. It’s not everyday you can say you touched a stingray. We haven’t been to the aquarium in years.

13. Heather December 6, 2017 at 4:38 am - Reply

What a fun place to take the family! I want to visit Denver’s aquarium in the spring or summer. We’ve never been. Its such an amazing learning experience.

14. Ricci December 6, 2017 at 7:00 am - Reply

I love a good aquarium and this one looks like it is so much fun! I would love to visit there one day!!

15. Kathy December 6, 2017 at 2:40 pm - Reply

I love going to aquariums like these. They’re always so much fun. Being able to see all the neat creatures up close is always great to see. My kids love it.

16. This looks like a fun place to visit. I love going to the aquarium and showing my kids the animals that live in the ocean.

17. Cyn Gagen December 6, 2017 at 10:34 pm - Reply

I love aquariums. That looks like one that the whole family could enjoy too!

18. Nichole Arnold December 7, 2017 at 7:11 am - Reply

LOVE your photos! What are you shooting with? Settings? This looks like a fabulous place for the whole family!

19. Victoria Heckstall December 8, 2017 at 12:29 am - Reply

I absolutely love all your photos! The aquariums looks really beautiful. I would love to visit one day.

20. Carolynne wang December 12, 2017 at 9:01 pm - Reply

This looks like it has a lot more to explore than the aquatic center at Burlington, Vermont. If there is much to do a family can go back time to time without being bored.

21. XoBriLeeXo January 4, 2018 at 5:05 pm - Reply

Omg I love this !! I’ve been searching for a new aquarium to take my little one! Thanks for this !

22. Ryan | The Blessed Mess January 4, 2018 at 5:36 pm - Reply

Sounds like a super cool aquarium!

23. Jennifer | Blushing Hydrangea January 4, 2018 at 5:39 pm - Reply

This look like so much fun! My kids love going to zoos and aquariums. We are always looking for new and exciting places to go, especially when we are on vacation. Maybe we will have to find time to make our way to this one!

24. Raquel January 4, 2018 at 11:04 pm - Reply

Aquarium trips are our favorite! So much to see for children of any age!

25. Betty Boiron January 5, 2018 at 12:14 am - Reply

We’ve done SeaWorld but this aquarium looks really nice. I’m sure my children would love the touch tanks.