Hannacroix Ravine Preserve, Voorheesville, NY

Hannacroix Ravine Preserve

With some beautiful summer weather this September, we decided to visit the Hannacroix Ravine, a Nature Conservancy Preserve.  It is located in Clarksville, NY, off Cass Road, and we had no problems finding the preserve using the directions on the Nature Conservancy website and Google Maps.  There are signs along the road and a small parking lot that holds two cars.

* Note that the Hannacroix Ravine is different from the Hannacroix Preserve in New Baltimore, NY.

Hannacroix Ravine Preserve

We started off at the trailhead.  There isn’t much of a kiosk at the beginning of the trail, so I recommend printing a copy of the trail map before you come or having a copy on your phone.

Hannacroix Trail Head

The trail meanders through woods; some evergreen and others with a mix of deciduous trees that were starting to turn beautiful autumn colors.  Most of the trail is fairly flat – there isn’t much as far as elevation or intensity, which makes it good for kids.  And good for my knees!

Hannacroix Ravine Preserve

There isn’t a whole lot to do as far as exploring until you come to the creek.

Hannacroix Ravine Preserve

We had fun checking out the creek and wandering both up and downstream.

Hannacroix Creek

We found some fish, newts, crayfish, and more.

Hannacroix Ravine Preserve

Once we had explored the creek for a while, we actually went back the way we came.  If you continue on the trail, it will go in a loop and come out on the road (Cass Hill Road).  While it is not a particularly busy road, you do have to walk along the road for a bit to get back to the trailhead parking lot. The full loop is approximately 2.5 miles.

Visit the Hannacroix Ravine website here.

Check out my other local hikes:

Christman Sanctuary, Duanesburg, NY
Landis Arboretum, Esperance, NY
Overlook Mountain, Catskills, NY (day trip)
Sanders Preserve, Town of Glenville, NY
Saratoga Spa State Park
Thacher Park Indian Ladder Trail, Voorheesville, NY
Wolf Creek Falls Preserve, Altamont/Knox, NY

By | 2017-10-21T01:56:20+00:00 October 6th, 2017|hiking, Travel|11 Comments

1. Maryann D. October 7, 2017 at 12:01 pm - Reply

Hannacroix Ravine seems like a lovely and relaxing place to visit. The photos are wonderful.

2. […] Sanctuary, Duanesburg, NY Hannacroix Ravine Preserve, Voorheesville, NY  Landis Arboretum, Esperance, NY  Overlook Mountain, Catskills, NY (day trip) Sanders Preserve, […]

3. Candy November 5, 2017 at 10:00 pm - Reply

Looks like a beautiful place to go and explore nature. Tons of hiking or walking paths to enjoy

4. Liz November 5, 2017 at 11:18 pm - Reply

Looks like a nice place to hang out and enjoy nature for a bit. I don’t live near the NY area but I’ll have to check it out if I ever visit.

5. Jamie | Makeup Life and Love November 6, 2017 at 1:07 am - Reply

Omg this looks like such an amazing place to head to and hang out. I wish I lived closer to NYC because this looks amazing.

6. Heather November 6, 2017 at 5:21 am - Reply

What a lovely outing! My girls are finally old enough to go on longer explorations and adventures like the one you took through Hannacroix. I know they’d get a kick out of hunting for little creatures too.

7. Dina Demarest November 6, 2017 at 8:33 am - Reply

I think it’s really important that our kids get to spend time in Nature Preserves. This place is really nice for family activities!

8. Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen November 6, 2017 at 8:41 pm - Reply

That looks like a great place to get closer to nature. I’m sure your kids had fun!

9. adriana November 6, 2017 at 9:34 pm - Reply

You know, I live in New York and I have never heard of this place! It looks like such a fun spot to visit for the whole family, that’s the best part! Definitely worth looking into visiting it seems!

10. Tim B November 6, 2017 at 10:08 pm - Reply

Exploring nature trails is one of my favorite activities to do with my kids. Hannacroix Ravine Nature Conservancy Preserve looks like a great place for a trek!

11. David Elliott November 10, 2017 at 4:58 pm - Reply

I love going down creeks and seeing all the different life that’s going on down there. It’s been a while though. I really should take my daughter soon.