Quechee Gorge, Hartford, VT

Quechee Gorge

We travel a lot to Vermont, but this was our first time visiting Quechee Gorge, which is an impressive place!

Getting to Quechee Gorge is easy, but in the moment we didn’t pay attention to Google Maps, we ended up in New Hampshire as we traveled eastbound from NY, since it is close to the border.  We turned around and were back on track in no time.

We stayed at Queechee State Park (read about that here).  You can walk to the Gorge from the state park using a trail for those who are camping there, and you can also access it from the Visitor’s Center which is located right on the main road.

Right next to the Visitor’s Center is a bridge going over the Gorge with a nice pedestrian walkway on each side (so that you have a railing on both sides of you).  We took the kids on the bridge and it was nice to have the security of the railings not only to see over the side but also between us and traffic.  The views are impressive!

Quechee

The trail down to the Gorge from the Visitor Center is very well maintained.  I have to say I am impressed that I didn’t see any garbage on either of our walks to the gorge, and the trail was in great shape.

Quechee Gorge Trail

It is downhill all the way, and along the Gorge, there is chain link fence on your right, as there is a steep drop.

Quechee Gorge

You can’t really see the gorge during the hike down as it is pretty sheer over the edge.  Where the fence ends nearer to the bottom of the gorge, there are lots of places where you can go explore.

We wore suits and brought towels, water shoes, goggles, sunscreen, and an underwater camera.  Around 3:30 pm the gorge was busy, but people were also starting to leave.

My kids are strong swimmers, so we had no worries about swimming in the gorge, as there were other young kids swimming there.  There is a very deep section where you can also swim upstream a bit.

Quechee Gorge Swimming

The kids had fun jumping off ledges and swimming across.

We were very careful with the kids as far as where it was safe to jump in, and made sure they were wearing water shoes.

Quechee Gorge Swimming

Downstream, there are some little rapids and the gorge becomes shallow.  There are plenty of places for kids to wade and explore, and there were lots of people with younger kids and dogs.  This is looking downstream towards the end of the gorge.

Quechee Gorge

The hike back up is all uphill, but there are plenty of benches to stop.  Just keep in mind that going back may be a bit slow going especially if you are tired from swimming.

Quechee Gorge is a beautiful place to visit.  The trails were very well maintained, the view from above is amazing, and it was fun to explore at the bottom.  There is also a lot to check out nearby, from the Visitor’s Center to shopping, food, museums, and more.

Things to bring:

~ Camera
 ~ Sunscreen

For swimming:
 ~ Swimsuit
 ~ Water shoes
 ~ Sunscreen
 ~ Water shoes
~ Towel
~ Water & snacks, especially for kids

Check out our other Vermont blog posts:

Quechee State Park
Montshire Museum of Science, Norwich, VT
Buttermilk Falls, Ludlow, VT
Jackson Gore Inn, Ludlow, VT
Coolidge State Park, VT

By | 2017-08-24T14:13:21+00:00 August 15th, 2017|camping, hiking, Travel|25 Comments

1. […] Previous Next […]

2. Rosie August 15, 2017 at 4:01 pm - Reply

I’m amazed I’ve never heard of Quechee Gorge, or even Hartford Vermont! This place does look so special and fun, and a safe place for the kids, too. I’d love to take a trip here!

3. shelly peterson August 15, 2017 at 5:44 pm - Reply

I have never been to Vermont before. I don’t get the chance to travel much. This place looks beautiful

4. Elena August 17, 2017 at 3:20 pm - Reply

This place ooks so beautiful.

5. Quanda August 21, 2017 at 4:21 am - Reply

I never heard of Quechee Gorge prior to reading your review. Amazing place & scenery.

6. robin rue August 24, 2017 at 2:33 pm - Reply

We love Quechee! I haven’t been up there in a few years, but it’s a super cool place to spend the day in northern New England!

7. Sarah Bailey August 24, 2017 at 2:34 pm - Reply

Wow what an absolutely beautiful gorge to visit, I would have loved swimming in it when I was younger.

8. Alli August 24, 2017 at 3:00 pm - Reply

Vermont is such a beautiful state! I would love a week or even a weekend to explore. What a beautiful gorge,

9. Jeanette August 24, 2017 at 4:03 pm - Reply

These are the kind of places I love to go with the family. It is sort of off the beaten path and it’s just a nice place to hang out. If I ever get out that way I’m totally checking out this place. It is the perfect place for me.

10. candy August 24, 2017 at 4:53 pm - Reply

What a totally fun and relaxing place to spend the day. Nothing is better than getting outside with your family and enjoying the great outdoors..

11. candy August 24, 2017 at 4:55 pm - Reply

There is nothing like getting out and enjoy what mother nature has to offer. Everyone has fun, gets dirty and actually we become so relaxed.

12. Tomi C August 24, 2017 at 6:08 pm - Reply

What a beautiful family getaway. Looks like the kids really enjoyed themselves. I’ve never heard of Quechee Gorge.

13. Joline August 24, 2017 at 7:03 pm - Reply

The place looks gorgeous! We’re close enough to Vermont, this looks like a nice little road trip as a last hurrah for summer!

14. Anosa August 24, 2017 at 7:48 pm - Reply

Quechee Gorge looks absolutely amazing and glad that your family enjoyed themselves and had a lovely swim/play too.

15. Lynn Woods August 24, 2017 at 7:48 pm - Reply

Oh wow! This is so beautiful and it looks like so much fun!

16. Amber Myers August 24, 2017 at 8:01 pm - Reply

This is such a lovely area. My kids would love swimming here–they’re also strong swimmers. I hope to make it here one day.

17. Heather August 25, 2017 at 12:47 am - Reply

Vermont is so beautiful. Last time we were there it was chilly and we had a blast anyway.

18. Lisa August 25, 2017 at 3:13 am - Reply

The views are just beautiful. And the water looks like it was amazing. I have never been to Vermont but have always wanted to go.

19. Paula A Bendfeldt Diaz August 25, 2017 at 10:36 am - Reply

I love spending time outdoors with the kids and getting close to nature. This looks like such a beautiful place. Would love to visit with the kids someday.

20. Our Family World August 25, 2017 at 12:11 pm - Reply

Lovely! I am drawn to places like this where I can enjoy the beauty of nature. I have not been to Vermont yet, but if ever I do find myself in the area, I will make sure I give Quechee Gorge a visit.

21. Jennifer G August 25, 2017 at 3:41 pm - Reply

There is nothing more satisfying to me than a beautiful trip into nature. I love the scenery and how relaxing it can be. I may have to visit Vermont just to experience this.

22. Mommy Moment August 25, 2017 at 4:19 pm - Reply

This place looks like a beautiful vacation spot! Spending time together like this as a family is SUPER important.

23. Jacqui Odell August 25, 2017 at 5:42 pm - Reply

The view looks breath taking! I would love to see all that in person. It looks like everyone enjoyed swimming in the water. I liked that it appeared to be pretty clear

24. Jaime Nicole August 26, 2017 at 1:26 am - Reply

I have never been to Vermont – your pictures are just stunning! I would LOVE to take my girls there one day!

25. Annemarie LeBlanc August 27, 2017 at 7:19 am - Reply

I have not been to Vermont yet, but it sure looks like it is a beautiful place! OMG, your photos are fantastic. I love being with nature and the scenery makes me want to pack my bags and hop on the plane!