Spinach Flatbread

Spinach Naan Flatbread

I love recipes that are quick and easy, but also ones that have fresh ingredients.  I always snag fresh baby spinach from the farmer’s market when I see it, so when my friend made this for me, I knew I had to make my own!

Naan type bread (I find this at my local grocery store)

Fresh spinach (you could use frozen spinach, but it needs to be heated and squeezed dry)

Plain or Greek Yogurt (not sweet!), or even sour cream

Cumin seeds and sesame seeds

unsweetened coconut

minced or crushed garlic

Toast cumin seeds in a skillet, adding the sesame seeds and coconut after about a minute.  Continue toasting the mix for 3-5 more minute.

Spinach Naan Flatbread

Crush or mince garlic, and stir into your yogurt. (I don’t have an amount here – it will be fresh and not cooked – so it is good to go light unless you like your garlic strong!)

Drizzle fresh spinach with oil, tossing to coat.  Then brush oil on both sides of the flatbreads.

Lightly toast (broil) both sides of the flatbreads in the oven.

Spread the flatbreads with your yogurt mixture, topping with the spinach.  Broil quickly so that the spinach wilts.

Top with the toasted spices and salt.

Spinach Naan Flatbread

Alternate “extra fast” version:

I have made a really quick version too. While this recipe is already quick to make, I make the quicker version on those days when I get home from work and have about 10 minutes to eat!

If you think you are going to be making the quick version, toast your spices ahead of time and save them, so that they are ready to use any time.  Alternately, I have used untoasted cumin seeds, garlic powder, and salt.

I simply toast the naan lightly.  Microwave the spinach until it wilts (it doesn’t take long).  Spread sour cream or yogurt on your naan, top with spinach, and then your spice mixture.  The combination of bread, sour cream or yogurt, spinach and spices is so good!

Spinach Naan Flatbread

Adapted from a recipe at Martha Stewart.

By | 2017-05-04T12:28:09+00:00 May 4th, 2017|Dinner, Food, Vegetarian|15 Comments

1. Dana Rodriguez May 4, 2017 at 7:40 pm - Reply

That looks delicious. We love fresh spinach so I am going to give this a try!

2. Maryann D. May 5, 2017 at 9:21 am - Reply

My family enjoys Naan bread. I do try to make spinach a few times a week and this would be a tasty recipe for us to try.

3. Julie Wood August 14, 2017 at 1:24 pm - Reply

I love this recipe! I want to make it. It looks like so much fun to make and so delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

4. Colleen January 19, 2018 at 8:57 pm - Reply

Awesome recipe! I love flatbread to begin with, but when you top it with such tasty, healthy ingredients, it’s really a winner. Yummo!

5. Heather January 20, 2018 at 4:28 am - Reply

This looks and sounds so good! We are going dairy free so I need to figure out how to make this without the dairy!

6. Tim B January 20, 2018 at 3:05 pm - Reply

coconut, spinach, garlic, and yogurt are all ingredients that I can appreciate. I really want to try this recipe out! Always great to come across a recipe that is both yummy and healthy

7. Jocelyn @ Hip Mama's Place January 20, 2018 at 3:23 pm - Reply

It’s definitely something that I would love to make. It’s quick and easy and it looks really tasty as well. I love flatbread so this is a keeper!

8. Gisele January 20, 2018 at 3:43 pm - Reply

This looks awesome! I love bread and try to eat it in moderation but this looks like it is healthy and satisfying. I’m going to have to try this.

9. sara January 20, 2018 at 6:49 pm - Reply

This spinach flatbread looks so good. I love that there is cumin in this recipe, one of my favorite ingredients.

10. Catalina January 21, 2018 at 8:27 am - Reply

Spinach is our favorite. This flatbread seems and sounds to be so delicious!

11. Mommy Peachy January 21, 2018 at 8:30 pm - Reply

I haven’t tried making my own flatbread even though I love it. I’ve always been intimidated but your Spinach Flatbread looks really good. maybe I’ll try making one next week.

12. Lynsey January 21, 2018 at 9:11 pm - Reply

Yum! I love flatbreads, they’re so easy to make and spinach on it sounds amazing!

13. Lynndee January 21, 2018 at 9:34 pm - Reply

That looks so good! I love, love, love spinach so I’m definitely going to try your recipe soon. Thanks for sharing!

14. Yum, this looks good. I would add some chopped grilled chicken to mine. I haven’t had flatbread in a long time.

15. Karen Propes March 10, 2018 at 3:07 am - Reply

I can’t wait to try this it looks so good, thanks for sharing.