I like to start my day by eating clean. I feel better and have more energy, and it fits well into my day as a busy mom, as I can take a moment to make a smoothie and take a moment to sip it while I prepare for my day. Every morning I make a fresh smoothie with fruits and kale, and it is a great way to start off my day on the right foot.
– 1.5 cups coconut milk / almond milk / etc
– 1 banana
– handful of kale (I don’t bother to remove stems, just tear into pieces, but it is your preference) – you can also mix with other greens or substitute other greens (such as spinach).
– frozen strawberries (I use approx. 5 large berries)
– optional sweetener: honey, etc. (depends on if you use sweetened milk)
– optional: chia seeds, flax seeds, matcha powder, etc.
All of my ingredients are measured approximately. Adjust the recipe to your own liking, as far as sweetness, ratios, and how thick or thin you want the smoothie to be. You can add more milk or use less kale if you want a thinner consistency, and so on.
Place all your ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth.
I make these smoothies every morning, so I know what ratio I like the ingredients. You may like less greens and more fruit, or vice versa. Or perhaps a certain type of milk or other ingredient. I like to add chia seeds for added nutrition, as well as matcha powder when I could use an extra boost.
Be creative – you can add so many different things, whether it is protein powder or seeds (chia, flax, hemp, etc.).
Make sure your smoothie is blended thoroughly, and enjoy.
Once I started making smoothies in the morning, I was never able to go back to processed foods for breakfast!