Chicken is one of the most commonly consumed meats in the world with over 120 million tons eaten every year. Besides being the least expensive and easiest to cook, it is also the most versatile meat that goes with everything. Whether it is chicken breasts on the grill, fried chicken legs, or a whole oven-roasted chicken, you can season it with spicy, sweet, savory, or even sour herbs and liquids.
Roasting a whole chicken is easy in the oven but you can also make a baked whole chicken in the air fryer, crock pot, or instant pot. You can even make a rotisserie chicken using a special rotisserie rod. For the most juicy chicken, make sure you do not cook it too long and your chicken will rate 5 stars every time.
Roasted chicken is one of the most common ways to cook a whole chicken. There are many roasted chicken recipes you can try. The most delicious roasted chicken recipe is one with crispy skin and lots of fresh garlic and herb butter. To roast a chicken, you just need to season it and put it in a roasting pan in the oven to bake. It is best to place your garlic, onion, and other aromatics inside the cavity for the most flavorful chicken.
After preparing your chicken, pour chicken broth into the slow cooker with half an onion, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. The trapped steam will give you the most amazing chicken with flavorful meat. You can even toss in some vegetables like potatoes, green beans, and carrots for a full meal.
Other ways to cook chicken
For chicken that is cooked perfectly in the shortest amount of time, try making it in the instant pot. However, you should use a trivet or balls of aluminum foil to keep it from sitting on the bottom. You will still get juicy meat, but it will not be soggy and full of fat. Another way to make the best chicken is in the air fryer. It will be crispy like fried chicken but juicy inside.
What to serve with chicken
- Baked chicken with fresh basil, fresh thyme, and roasted vegetables.
- Rotisserie chicken with lemon zest, lemon juice, and Italian seasoning.
- Serve roast chicken with pan drippings or use them to make gravy.
- Best roast chicken recipe with fresh rosemary and mashed potatoes.
- Perfectly cooked whole roasted chicken with kosher salt and pepper served with green beans.
- Crockpot chicken and rice with cooked vegetables.
Frequently asked questions
How long do I cook a whole chicken?
Even with the best roast chicken recipe, it can turn out dry if you cook it too long. The general rule of thumb is to cook chicken for 18 to 20 minutes per pound depending on how you cook it and what temperature you cook it at. Treat your chicken like you would a Thanksgiving turkey. If it is stuffed, you will have to cook it longer.
How many people will a whole roasted chicken serve?
An oven-roasted whole chicken will usually feed between four and five people depending on the size of the chicken. Make sure you get a roasting chicken and not a fryer. An average roasting chicken is four to seven pounds and will feed five to seven people using the recommended portion size of four ounces per person.
Why is my chicken dry?
The most common reason for dry chicken is cooking it too long. The cooking process is simple in any roast chicken recipe, but you have to make sure you cook it at the right temperature for the correct amount of time. It could be that it needs to be brined or marinated. But marinating a whole chicken is hard so use melted butter under the chicken skin and in the chicken cavity with lots of fresh herbs.
Tips and Tricks
- Coat your chicken with extra virgin olive oil before seasoning to help the seasonings stick and make crispy skin.
- When you roast chicken in the oven, cover with aluminum foil for the first hour or so. Then cook chicken uncovered for the last half hour to get golden brown crispy skin.
- The temperature of your chicken must be 165 degrees F with an instant-read thermometer before serving. Check the temperature at the thickest spot, which is the chicken breast.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels before rubbing it with olive oil and seasonings.
- For the juiciest chicken, make sure you let the chicken rest before slicing and serving.
- Leftover chicken meat is great for chicken salad, soup, or casserole.