Motorcycles are a great way to get around but can be difficult to transport. Family motorcycles are even more challenging, as you have to worry about getting them all in one piece and keeping them together. Here are some tips on how to transport your family motorcycles with confidence.
Invest In A Good Motorcycle Trailer
This will make transporting your motorcycles much easier and protect them from the element during transit. If you don’t have a trailer, consider renting one from a local motorcycle shop.
A trailer may cost you a fortune, but it will save you a ton of hassle in the long run. You will also be able to use it for other purposes, such as transporting other family belongings or taking the family on vacation.
When choosing a trailer, make sure it is big enough to accommodate all your motorcycles. It should also have a ramp to easily load and unload the bikes. Additionally, ensure that the trailer has proper tie-downs, so your motorcycles don’t shift during transit.
Ensure that it is compatible with your vehicle as well. You don’t want to find out that the trailer won’t fit on your car after you’ve already loaded the motorcycles onto it.
Contract An Independent Hauler
Suppose you don’t feel comfortable towing a trailer. This offers you a great option if you are not experienced in towing or don’t have a vehicle compatible with a trailer. An independent hauler will typically charge by the mile, so get an estimate before hiring one.
Be sure to ask the hauler about their experience in transporting motorcycles and their insurance coverage. Never take any chances with your valuable motorcycles.
Independent haulers are great for one-time or occasional transports. If you need to transport your motorcycles regularly, investing in a trailer might be more cost-effective.
Use A Professional Shipping Company
This is the most convenient option. With this option, you simply have to deliver your motorcycles to the shipping company’s terminal, and they will take care of the rest. Your motorcycles will be transported in a climate-controlled truck and will be delivered to your destination safely and on time.
Before choosing a shipping company, read reviews and compare rates. Get value for your money. Also, be sure to ask about their insurance coverage and ensure that it is adequate for your needs.
The advantage of using motorcycle shipping companies is that you don’t have to worry about anything. They help take care of all the details, and you can simply sit back and relax. They also handle any logistics involved in cross-border shipping, so you don’t have to worry about that.
Ship Your Motorcycles By Train
This is great when shipping your motorcycles long distance. Shipping by train is affordable and will usually get your motorcycles to their destination within a few days.
Before choosing this option, check with the railway company to see if they have any restrictions on what can be shipped by train. You don’t want any surprises when you go to pick up your motorcycles.
Fly Your Family And Motorcycles
When in a hurry, you can always fly your family, vehicles, or motorcycles to your destination. This is the most expensive option, but it is also the quickest.
Remember you will need to make arrangements for someone to pick you up at the airport and that you will also need to rent a car or motorcycle once you arrive at your destination. This one is not for everyone, but it is an option nonetheless.
A Few Tips For Safe Motorcycle Transportation
- Load the motorcycles properly to avoid damage during transit.
- Secure them tightly with straps or rope, so they don’t move around in transit. If possible, place them in a criss-cross pattern so that they are less likely to fall over.
- Inspect the motorcycles before loading.
- Be sure to check the tire pressure and engine oil levels. It is also a good idea to clean the bikes so that they don’t get damaged during transit.
- Load the heaviest motorcycle first. This will help keep the trailer balanced and prevent it from tipping over. If possible, try to put the heaviest bike in the middle of the trailer so that the weight is evenly distributed.
- Secure all of the motorcycles properly.
- Tie them down with straps or rope, so they don’t move around during transit. You don’t want them bouncing around inside the trailer, which could damage them.
- Drive Carefully. This may seem like obvious advice, but taking your time when driving with a trailer is important. Accelerating and braking too quickly can cause the bikes to shift and potentially fall off the trailer.
- Plan Your Route. If you are transporting your motorcycles over a long distance, planning your route in advance is important. This will help you avoid congested areas and road construction. Also, make sure to map out rest stops so you can take breaks as needed.
- Tie-Down. Use soft ties to secure the motorcycles. You don’t want your motorcycles bouncing around while driving, so make sure to use soft ties to secure them. You can find these at most motorcycle shops or online.
- Make sure all of your motorcycles are properly insured. This will give you peace of mind if something happens to them during transport. Consult with your insurance provider to see what is covered and what is not.
- Have all the papers in order. Prepare the required documents before starting the process. This will help to avoid any delays or problems along the way. You will need a bill of sale, proof of registration, and insurance paperwork for each motorcycle. Additionally, you may need a passport if you are shipping your motorcycles internationally.
You can easily transport your family motorcycles with a little planning and preparation. Just be sure to choose the right method of transportation and take the necessary precautions to ensure that your motorcycles arrive safely at their destination. Shipping companies can help to make the process easier and less stressful. With their experience and expertise, you can rest assured that your motorcycles will be in good hands.