A folding electric bike is a convenient option if you’re a commuter or you travel a lot. A folding electric bike is an electric bike that is easily foldable and easy to transport. There are great advantages to this type of transportation.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links.
What are the Differences Between a Folding Electric Bike and a Regular Ebike?
A folding electric bike is specially designed to fold up in order for it to be carried around in a more compact form. This makes the folding electric bike very easy for transportation and storage. A folding electric bike is usually made with 20 inch wheels, which helps with its ability to downsize. Regular ebikes will not be able to do this at all.
Pros of a Folding Electric Bike
As mentioned before, the pros of folding electric bikes are:
- Able to be made compact by folding for easy transportation and storage
- They cannot be stolen easily, since you can take them wherever you go
Cons of a Folding Electric Bike
Even though the portability and security that a folding electric bike can provide is a big selling point, there are quite a bit of cons with this type of bike.
- Higher price than regular ebikes: A folding electric bike can cost anywhere from $100-$300 more than a regular ebike. This is most likely due to the folding frame needing extra R&D and proprietary parts.
- Bumpier rides: Since folding electric bikes are made with 20 inch wheels, they are 2/3 the diameter and will make obstacles seem a lot harder to get through.
- Replacing wheels: You’ll have to replace the wheels more often due to the smaller wheels and that they have to spin faster.
- There are limited gear ranges for steep hills: Due to the bike having to be made as to not complicate the folding process, folding electric bikes have limited gear ranges. This wouldn’t be a good idea if you ride on rough terrain frequently.
When it comes to deciding on a folding electric bike or a regular electric bike, you should consider how important portability and security are to you. Any kind of electric bike is going to cost way more than a regular bicycle. If you invest in a more expensive electric bike, you definitely want to make sure that it is safe and not in harm’s way. The folding electric bike definitely gives you a way to ensure your bike’s safety.
Author bio- Matthew Bell from Crooked Path eBikes is an engineering major with over 25 years experience in heavy industry including nuclear power, rail, oil & gas and infrastructure. Worked closely with high profile clients both domestic and abroad to ensure customer satisfaction.