We’ve all experienced the heartache of being away from a loved one. Whether it’s a parent back in your hometown or a long-distance partner studying abroad, there’s nothing quite like longing for someone from afar. Thanks to globalization, we’ve all gotten much more used to staying in touch from across the world. In fact, more than 14 million people in the United States say they’re in a long-distance relationship. But while we may be apart physically, there are many new services and technologies that help us stay connected when we can’t be together in person.
Source: Studio Romantic/Shutterstock.com
Whether it’s by sending a care package or watching a movie together via FaceTime, we can all show each other how much we care when the miles part us. Here are some of our favorite ways.
- Stay in Touch: Never Miss a Milestone — When a person is not near, it’s easy to fall into your own routine and forget to check in regularly. But staying in contact can help ensure that you don’t miss daily happenings and big events alike. The key to showing someone you care when they’re not in your presence is to make sure to celebrate the small and large wins, from a good day at work to big birthdays and promotions. Follow up often and try to make their moments your moments, no matter how small they may be.
- Smiles by Post: Send a Care Package — If you prefer a grander gesture to celebrate a big occasion or simply to say, “I miss you,” send a care package with a personalized note. Send a big, cuddly hug with a stuffed animal care package or create your own by sending a box of their favorite snacks, sweets and goodies hand-picked by you. There are plenty of services out there that help you put together a creative surprise delivered right to their door. Any care package sent from the heart will do, but we do have one rule! Avoid the generic gift basket delivery companies and go for something more creative than a standard box of fruit or coffee. Stuffed animals are a great choice!
- Literary Messages: Send Sweet Quotes — “The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again,” or so says Charles Dickens. Sometimes it’s best to leave the messaging to the literary experts! The occasional text or voicemail with a touching quote will help you show your loved one how much you care. But don’t take it from Dickens alone — there are so many amazing long distance relationship quotes perfect for your unique scenario to add to a card, text or direct message.
- Classic Simplicity: Send a Card — Prefer something simple and more to the point? There’s no better way to express your feelings than with a good old-fashioned greeting card, a video greeting card or postcard sent via mail. Pick out a card that reminds you of your loved one and write a thoughtful note inside. Remember, you don’t need an excuse to send a special greeting to someone you love. There’s nothing better than getting a handwritten note in the mail out of the blue. The great news? It’ll only cost you a few cents to send!
Source: G-Stock Studio/Shutterstock.com
- Far-Away Togetherness: Zoom Activities — If your language of love is quality time, you probably find it challenging to stay connected with people who don’t live near you. But that doesn’t have to be the case! These days, you can use services like Zoom, Skype or FaceTime to do activities together, like watch movies, cook or go on hikes. You could also share some of the same activities together offline, such as reading the same book or watching the same show and then getting together virtually afterwards to discuss.
- Sweet Sentiments: Texts and Messages — This one seems obvious, but it’s easy to overlook when you’ve got a full plate of your own. Throughout the day, try to send sweet texts and direct messages to your loved one when something reminds you of them. Sending memes, videos, articles and funny posts are a simple way to keep conversation going without a huge time commitment.
- Floral Feelings: Send a Bouquet — Never underestimate the power of fresh flowers! A surprise bouquet delivered to a loved one’s door is the best way to say “I love you” and “I miss you” at the same time. Tip: Call a florist local like the best florist in Miami Beach to your recipient rather than using a generic online floral service. Often, they will be able to customize your request and make it much more original than the typical online gift delivery service. You may save a few bucks, too.Self-Care Sweetness: Gift a Spa Day — If your loved one has been going through a rough time or has endured an illness, there’s no better way to send wishes of love and care than by spoiling them with a trip to the spa. Whether it be a massage, a manicure, a pedicure or a facial, you can customize their self-care day in a way that honors their style of relaxation. You can pair your surprise spa day with some bath bombs or face masks to tie it all together.
- Flavors of Love: Send Dinner — They say the way to the heart is through the stomach, and we think that’s true! Everyone loves being surprised with a plate of their favorite food, but it’s hard to do the cooking when you’re not in the same place. Instead, send food delivery from their favorite local restaurant or a place they’ve been wanting to try. If your loved one is sick or not feeling great, go with a comforting delivery of soup, ramen or Chinese food. If it’s a celebratory occasion, go big with a steak, lobster from the best restaurant in Cincinnati Ohio or a gift card to a fancier establishment.
The Most Important Thing? Keep It Personal
Regardless of if you prefer to send food, a stuffed animal or a book to read together, just make sure it’s something you picked specifically for the person you love. Giving your long-distance surprise a thoughtful, personalized twist will help them know that you were thinking about them and that you care. With that strategy, you can be sure they’ll feel all warm and fuzzy no matter what you send!