There is something about apple slices that screams “autumn.” And what better way to enjoy this quintessential autumnal fruit than by cooking up a delicious batch of authentic Czech apple slice dishes?
Apple Slices and Czech Cuisine
Apple slices are a very popular dish in the Czech Republic, particularly during the autumn and winter. The country even has a traditional Czech apple slice called “Obalovka,” which is served as a half-slice on a sandwich or on its own with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. So how should you make this tasty dish?
Well, it can be a lot of work if you want to create the perfect apple slice. However, this article will help you get past the hard research and testing, and give you insight to the recipe into help save time and effort.
Choose the Right Ingredients
The best secret of making these slices is using the right ingredients. Here are a few things you’ll need:
- Apples: Choose the best seasonal apples, preferably Granny Smith apples, for their tartness and firm texture.
- Sugar: You’ll need a good amount of sugar to sweeten the slices and bring out their flavor.
- Butter: Try using unsalted butter so that you can control the saltiness of the dish. The butter should be chilled.
- Cinnamon: The secret ingredient that will turn your apple slices into the perfect autumn treat is using just a pinch of cinnamon powder which will go a long way.
- Salt: Season your apples with salt to enhance the flavor. A small pinch should do it.
- Lemon juice: Just a little bit of lemon juice will brighten up the flavors of your apple slices.
- Flour: A dusting of flour on your apple slices will help them brown nicely in the oven.
- Corn Syrup: Again, a great trick for making the slices extra sweet and giving them their signature glossy sheen.
- Lemon Zest: Using some lemon zest will add a refreshing touch to your apple slices.
Preparation is Key
Once you have prepared your ingredients, it’s time to start cooking. Start by boiling the apple slices in some lemon juice and water with sugar, cinnamon, salt, and butter. It will help cook down the apples while flavoring them at the same time. Next up, you’ll need to make the syrup. It is a simple mixture of corn syrup and water, which you’ll simmer along with some lemon zest.
Once everything is cooked, you’ll need to layer your apple slices in a baking dish. First, add a thin layer of syrup on the bottom, then top it with a layer of apples. Sprinkle some flour over the apples, then add another layer of syrup and top with more apples. You can continue layering like this until you reach the top of the dish.
Choose the Right Filling
Once you have all of the layers in place, it’s time to start filling your apple slices. Choose a nice fruity filling for added flavor. Popular fillings include jam, cream cheese, or chocolate. Consider adding nuts or seeds for extra crunch.
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 Fahrenheit), then bake your apple slices for approximately half an hour or until they are golden brown in color and delicious. Serve them warm or cold, with a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream on top.
What About the Topping?
The only thing missing from your delicious apple slices is a sweet and crunchy topping. It is actually very easy to make, just grab a bag of cinnamon cereal and add it in layers over the apple slices in the dish. Pop it in the oven for a few minutes, and your apple slice with a crunchy top layer is ready to be served.
Add Lots of Nuts
If you are looking for the perfect autumn dish, then it’s important to include delicious nuts. You can also add some candied or glazed walnuts to your sweet apple slices. The great thing about this dessert is that it includes healthy fruit as well as tasty nuts!
If you like, you can even add raisins to your apple slices for added sweetness and texture.
How to Serve
Apple slices are best served warm, but they can also be enjoyed cold. If you’re serving them cold, it’s best to leave them in the fridge for a few hours so that they’ll firm up.
Serve with a scoop of any flavored ice cream or whipped cream on top for an extra-special touch. Apple slices are perfect for dessert, but they can also be served as a side dish or appetizer.
These slices are also great for taking on the go, just wrap them up in some cling film, and you’re good to go.