Are you looking for the perfect bouquet to send to a friend that recently lost a loved one? Have you lost a dear friend or relative and want to bring a few different flowers to the funeral to show your love and support? If so, then you need to learn all you can about funeral flowers.
It may surprise you to learn that there are several different types of funeral flowers. It can be hard to determine which one is right for you.
See below for an in-depth guide listing all of the different types of flowers out there and which ones might fit what you’re looking for.
What Are the Different Types of Flowers?
Perhaps you’re unsure as to whether roses are appropriate for the funeral you’re attending. Maybe you aren’t entirely educated on the different species of flowers to begin with.
Whatever the case might be, you have nothing to worry about! There are many different options out there, and the different types of flowers can help you send the perfect message. Let’s take a look at a few different types and why people choose them as funeral flowers.
- Roses- Popular for any occasion due to their connection with love. They come in many different colors and, contrary to popular belief, are just as masculine as they are feminine
- Orchids- A tremendous option for those wanting to take the road less traveled. Orchids are unique, so they’re perfect for celebrating the life of a unique person
- Daisies- Offer warmth and optimism, even in a funeral setting. Generally, these are paired together with other types of flowers, not just left on their own
- Lilies- Among the most popular flower choice for funerals. White lilies have a luxurious and beautiful aesthetic, equal to that of an elegant rose
- Carnations- Cost-efficient for any budget. Carnations come in many different colors and are often mixed with other flower types to create something unique
Now you have an idea of the types of funeral flowers you should look for, but there is still a few other factors to consider. Let’s dive into those below.
What Colors Should You Choose?
First, bear in mind that not all of the flowers we just mentioned will come in the colors that we recommend.
Some of you might be wondering, why does the color matter? As long as you think they look pretty, isn’t that all that matters? Yes and no.
Whether you intend to or not, the color of the funeral flowers you choose will send a subliminal message to those that lay eyes on them. Using something called color psychology, you can pick a flower color that will relay the perfect emotion for your deceased friend/relative.
Let’s look into the different emotions that each color sends so that you can determine which color of flowers are the right combo for your funeral flower selection.
- Red- Exudes love, boldness, and youth
- Orange- Gives off emotions of friendship, camaraderie, and those with a cheerful heart
- Yellow- Sends optimistic vibes; perfect for representing those that were always upbeat
- Green- Peace and tranquility; goes perfectly with the “rest in peace” mindset for funerals
- Blue- Trustworthiness, and strength; represents those that were strong mentally and physically
- Purple- Creativity and wisdom; perfect for those that you considered being a mentor, parent figure, or major role model
- White- Calm and neutral; perfectly compliments any other color in a bouquet; is a great representation of the type of person that never got too hot or too cold (always stayed even-keel).
When going through this list, you probably saw a few colors or personality traits that reminded you of the person whose life you’re celebrating. If so, that’s a good thing! You can create a custom bouquet with Teleflora flowers to perfectly exemplify the person you knew and loved.
Which Floral Arrangement Should You Purchase?
Last but not least, let’s talk about floral arrangements. There are many different ones that you can choose from for a funeral setting. It’s best to learn about these ahead of time so that you can make the perfect decision for celebrating your loved one’s life.
- Floor Bouquet- As the name would imply, these flower arrangements sit on the floor and are usually purchased as a gift from those supporting the family of the deceased
- Standing Sprays- The arrangement is held up by a tripod figure; generally purchased by the deceased person’s family to set up and arrange however they so choose
- Casket Spray- Purchased to place on top of the casket; These are ordered by the family of the deceased person to ensure it stays on theme
- Live Plant- Some may choose to purchase live plants to give to the family; These are an important reminder of the balance of life and gives the loved ones something to hold onto after the funeral is over
If you’re merely attending the funeral, then we suggest sticking with either a floor bouquet, floor basket, or live plant. These will help you to show your support and love while also respecting the family’s preferences for things like casket sprays and standing sprays.
Invest in Funeral Flowers for Your Deceased Loved Ones
Now that you have seen an in-depth guide on the different types of funeral flowers that you should choose from, be sure to use this information wisely.
Take the time to browse our website for more articles on types of flowers, as well as many other helpful topics that you will find helpful.