Hopefully, you have a good knowledge of all types of AC units available on the market. You may be well aware of the various advantages and disadvantages of each and every type. Now raises the question as to which type suits you best and why. The answer to this important question depends upon the following factors which must be in your mind when you are about to take this vital decision. Let’s dive into the things and see what is best for you.
There are different aspects in this context.
- A window or a portable AC unit is the cheapest option, but it is also the least effective at the same time. It has the ability to cool only a single room and its efficiency is comparable only to a good room fan.
- A ductless system suits you best in terms of cost if you are going to cool two to three rooms. However, it will not remain cost effective anymore if you plan to do a whole house on a ductless system.
- With the ability to last longer than portable or window options, a central air conditioning unit is more expensive but more effective as well.
- A geothermal unit is the most expensive as well as effective of the lot, but it will last you for the rest of your life for sure.
- Area of the house
The most important consideration when choosing the best type of AC for your home is your home square footage. Actually, you need to buy the one that has the output capacity to cool the entire home. Usually, aircons ranging from 1.5 ton to 5.0 ton are the most suitable for average-sized houses. A 3-ton central air conditioning unit will be appropriate for a house with around 1600-square-foot area. However, anything above 5.0 tons will be considered a commercial unit.
- Seasonal energy efficiency ratio or SEER rating
This determines how much energy your AC will use to cool your house. Central air conditioners have a range from 13 to 24 SEER. Experts are of the view that people living in hot and humid climates need an aircon unit with a SEER of at least 15. Remember, you may cut your AC utility costs significantly if you upgrade your old AC unit with low SEER to a model with 15 SEER. Being particular about the regular maintenance of your AC unit also contributes to low utility bills. You may rely on diy aircon servicing in this regard and may keep your unit in the best of its health for many years.
- Energy saving features
You must look for the following most important energy saving features before you finalize your choice of AC unit for your home.
- Variable speed motors
- Automatic fan delay switch
- Thermal expansion valves
- Two-stage cooling
It has been observed that good manufacturers always stand behind their products when it comes to developing trust of the end users in these products. Usually, most systems or units are designed with a life time of more than 20 years. Considering long term warranties is not the only point to remember in this regard. You must also look at what that warranty is covering. It will be very much important if you ask the details about the warranty offered from the sales manager.