There are times when we need a little lift in our lives, especially if the situation is getting a bit tricky, and taking care of your furry friend is no different. There are a lot of situations where you need to keep your dog or cat inside a pet carrier, such as when you’re going to the vet or do grocery shopping. Also, it might be a requirement when you’re boarding an airplane or if you’re concerned that your companion animal may cause alarm to other people around you.
Aside from this, when you check out our luxury pet carriers, you will see that they have all the features that make traveling with your furball more convenient.
This guide lists down all of the things that you need to consider when choosing the best carrier for you and your beloved companion.
What Should You Look for in a Pet Carrier?
There are a lot of pet carriers on the market right now, and they cover a wide array of styles and budget segments. Here are some of the characteristics that you should look for to pick the right oner:
- Safety: You need to look for additional features, like integrated carabiner clips, since you can use them to fasten your dog or cat’s collar against the carabiner. This is a great feature especially if your furball possesses similar traits to Houdini.
- Ventilation: You need to make sure that there is enough airflow inside, so your pet can breathe properly and remain comfortable. Mesh panels are a great feature since they promote good air circulation and provide your cute, little pets with a great view of the outside.
- Washability: Your pet carrier can get grubby especially when you use it for long travels. Your pets may also have a bit of a wee accident, while you’re at it. So, you need to pick a carrier that’s easy to clean to minimize bad odors that can affect other people around you.
- Quality: If you always want the best for yourself or your precious furball, you shouldn’t scrimp out on a pet carrier. You need to find one that carries a reputable brand and made from high-quality, durable materials. The main features that you should look for are reinforced stitching and the maximum carrying capacity.
- Straps or Handles: Some carriers have them both, so choose one that you know will work best for you. But straps are more common for sling-type carriers, which you usually see as a bag for dogs travel people use, while handles are often found on wheeled pet carriers.
- Sleeping options: A carrier that comes with side doors can be great for your pets if you’re planning to take them on longer trips. You’ll be able to roll the doors up, allowing your pets to go out of the carrier, go back inside, and sleep in it whenever they want.
- Accessories/Extra Features: It’s nice if you can find added features, like poop bag holders, storage pockets, detachable wheels, or expansions, as these will make for a more comfortable trip for your feline or canine friends.
Different Styles of Pet Carriers
Pet carriers for dogs and cats come in different styles, so you’ll want to choose the one that you think will suit your pet’s needs and activities.
Wheeled/rolling pet carriers
This type of travel carrier is perfect for long trips, as even small dogs and cats will start to feel heavy when you carry them for long distances. Wheeled carriers are also very convenient for you to move around.
You also go for an extra-large wheeled Gucci dog carrier if you have a larger dog or want to have more space for your pet to stretch its legs or sleep.
You should pick one of these if you want a more durable and rugged option. The hard panels of these carriers can add more protection for your pet, and they are also very easy to clean.
If you have a larger dog that won’t fit in an under-the-seat travel carrier, there are hard-shell carriers that are designed to follow the guidelines set by airlines. In these situations, you also need to have a top-loading carrier, since it’ll be easier to lift your dog or cat and place them inside while you’re out and about.
These are among the most popular styles of pet carriers, especially for smaller dogs and cats. You can also find airline-approved options that you can place under the seat during a flight.
These kinds of carriers are designed to be convenient for travel, so they’re light, portable, and can be folded up when they’re not in use.
You need to check the size and weight specifications, though, as you need one to ensure that your furry friend properly fits in it and that you can carry it around comfortably. Some owners even suggest that you go for a one-size larger carrier to give more space for your pet.
These are very similar to baby carriers, and they are very popular nowadays. They allow you to keep your hands free while still making it easier for you and your pet to go anywhere. But they only make sense for smaller dogs, so if you have a German Shepherd, you might have to look for another carrier.
Shoulder-sling carriers belong to this category, and they’re perfect since they allow your dog or cat to stay inside or stick their head out to have a better view of the outside. Most of the carriers in this category, like the Louis Vuitton pet carrier, are lightweight, washable, and come with zippers for more security.
Most of the pet carrier styles mentioned on this list can be easily found online, but you can’t guarantee if they’re durable, safe to use or even look exactly like the picture. So, if you want to buy the best, premium pet carrier for your adorable pets, A Pet With Paws got you covered (check out our luxury pet carriers – apetwithpaws.com).
Buying a pet carrier can be a bit daunting, but the tips in this guide will surely help you find the best one for your cute furballs. Still, it’s a personal preference since you may want to pick one that matches your style or the activities and trips that you usually make with your dogs and cats. When you check out our luxury pet carriers, you will definitely find one for the taking.
However, you need to remember that you shouldn’t force your pet to go inside a carrier. Let them be accustomed to being inside it, first. When they’re used to it, you can now travel with them without the hassle.
For more articles about pet care, browse our blog!