In order to better protect children and young people from problematic content (violent videos, pornography, extremism,…) on the Internet, there are now a number of technical aids. Technical protection measures, especially for younger children, are a useful tool to help them get started on the Internet. With them, the transition from “normal” phones to internet-enabled smartphones can be facilitated efficiently.
One possible measure for safe surfing is the use of internet web filters. These often work with mechanisms such as positive or negative lists, so that either only child- and youth-friendly pages can be reached or youth-relevant offers can be hidden. In addition to accessing the Web, many programs can limit the overall use of digital devices – it is therefore often advisable to create user accounts for all family members and to specify in advance how many hours can be spent in front of the screen. One app that offers all these possibilities is FamilyTime app.
Using it, parents can:
- View contacts saved in the contact book of their kids
- Monitor call logs with the date and time stamps
- Check SMS history to know who do they talk to and what do they talk about
- Watchlist suspicious contacts and be notified every time the contact is made between by either party
- Track location details in real time on the virtual map.
- See location history for the past few months
- Receive PickMeUp and SOS alerts from kids with their location details
- View the web history to have a look at the URLs they visit.
- Enable safe search and internet filters to keep kids from viewing inappropriate content
- Monitor the complete list of apps installed on their device
- Check App usage frequency to analyze the time they spend on each application.
- Block apps to restrict their access to the apps you find inappropriate.
- Put auto screen locks on their devices for a specific time interval.
- Remotely lock their phone to limit access to their device whenever you want.
And more. Do you want to give this app a try for free? You can! Get the app now with access to all premium features now by visiting the app store on your phone.
No filter or setting provides complete security against problematic content. Thus, appropriate programs should always be used only in addition. It is more important to support children and young people entering the (mobile) Internet and to accompany them. Trust is the name of the game. A potential fear of internet or mobile phone ban can, in the worst case scenario, lead to children trying to solve their Internet problems on their own. Especially younger children and adolescents overburden this in most cases. As parents we should also consider the children’s safety using digital devices.
Yes!!! This is so important. Not always possible, but we have to try to get to 100% here
Such a great and important article! I’ll share it with all my parents friends
Internet safety for kids is spot on. You give really great advice!
The ease with which anyone can accessing kind of content on the internet is such that it makes sense to constantly find new and effective ways to protect our children.
I’m glad that you mention the fact that in addition to the filters, parents still have to keep an eye on their kids. We can’t leave them to their own devices.
Thanks for sharing.
We need to secure and keep our kids safe from all the negative effects of going online. Thanks for sharing your tips!
Parents need to see the importants of Parental Controls. These kids are exposed to too much on the internet.