According to vacuum cleaner site’s CleanWellExpert, Dust mites and dust can cause allergic reactions such as a rashes, coughing, wheezing, stuffy nose and more. If you suffer from an allergy to dust and dust mites, there are things you can do to create a healthy home. The following tips should have you well on your way to a much better lifestyle:
- Avoid heavy drapery, fabric-upholstered furniture and carpets because they collect dust. Use mattress and pillow covers with a fabric that is weaved tight because they keep off mites and dust.
- Keep your windows closed and use the AC instead. This will prevent mold spores and pollen from entering the home.
- Opt for furniture that is made of leather, wood, vinyl and plastic because it is easy to wipe clean.
- Avoid attic and window fans because they will circulate mold spores, pollen and other allergens.
- Make use of an air cleaner that has a HEPA (high efficiency particulate air) filter. This will help you get rid of animal dander, pollen and other allergens.
- Blinds and drapes should be removed and replaced with washable curtains and shades that can be rolled down.
- Get rid of wall-to-wall carpets as well as area rugs and replace them with small throw rugs that can easily be washed.
- Books, artificial flowers, stuffed toys, knickknacks and wall hangings should be removed. They have a tendency to collect dust and if you don’t clean them often, the dust can become an irritant.
- If you have hard floors, mop them every day with a damp mop.
- Get a vacuum cleaner that has a HEPA filter.
- Vacuuming and dusting should be done regularly. However, this could make things worse for you if you are the allergy sufferer. Consider securing the services of a maid service such as King of Maids to help you keep your house free of allergens. To know more click here.
- Surfaces should be cleaned with a dry cloth to keep them free of dust. Wiping them down with a damp cloth from time to time is also recommended.
- Carpets should be wet-vacuumed or steam cleaned as often as possible to ensure that allergens are removed as the carpet is washed. The hot steam also tends to kill the dust mites.
- Be sure to vacuum your upholstered seats as well.
- Wash all your beddings every week. This includes your bedcovers, blankets, sheets and pillowcases. They should be washed with hot water in order to kill the mites. If the fabric does not do well in hot water, kill the mites in the dryer instead. The temperature of the dryer or hot water, whichever you choose, should be higher than 130°F.
Dust Mite Control
Even though they are not visible to the naked eye, dust mites can be seen under a microscope. People who have an allergy to dust mites are actually allergic to their droppings and not the mite itself. Unfortunately, this allergy is not seasonal. It is carried through the entire year and can make one miserable if not taken care of.
Diana Kruger is a renowned health consultant with over 20 years of experience. He states that, a thorough clean by a maid service such as King of Maids can help you control dust and dust mites in the home. There are also other tips to help you maintain a healthier home.