The Buffalo History Museum and Japanese Gardens

Buffalo History Museum

We had a chance to visit Buffalo this summer, as we had an afternoon where we needed to find something to do, and decided to check out the Buffalo History Museum.  The third Friday of the month happened to be free, as well.

Buffalo Museum of History

The museum is easy to get to, and I used Google Maps to get there without any problems, and parking is free.

There are a variety of exhibits within the museum, which spans three floors.  The museum itself is beautiful!

Buffalo Museum of History

While the museum isn’t particularly large, there is a lot to explore.

Buffalo History Museum

There is even an exhibit about local sports figures over the years.

Buffalo History Museum

There are more exhibits downstairs, and I think the kids were most interested in this era.

Buffalo History Museum

After checking out the museum, we headed outdoors to check out the Japanese Gardens.  You can access these public gardens from the parking lot or by exiting the back of the museum.

Buffalo Museum of History and Japanese Gardens

While small, the gardens are relaxing to walk around and check out.

Buffalo Museum and Japanese Gardens

Japanese Gardens

Buffalo History Museum Japanese Garden

Buffalo Museum of History and Japanese Gardens

The lake is very pretty, although there is a busy road across the lake.

Buffalo Museum of History and Japanese Gardens

We had a nice time visiting the museum and learning some new things about the area and lots of great historical details.  I would recommend visiting during nice weather, if you can, and checking out the gardens and perhaps bringing a picnic snack or lunch to enjoy on the grounds.

Visit the Buffalo History Museum online at http://www.buffalohistory.org/

By | 2018-10-24T23:39:06+00:00 September 21st, 2018|Travel|18 Comments

1. Stacie September 21, 2018 at 9:20 pm - Reply

I would love to see that one day! Those grounds and the museum itself are so beautiful!

2. Tami September 21, 2018 at 10:23 pm - Reply

My husband would enjoy the Buffalo History Museum. I would tag along of course. I’m sure we will visit within the year, now that we are aware of it.

3. sara lafountain September 22, 2018 at 12:54 am - Reply

This looks like a great museum. I love to visit the Japanese Gardens and this one is particularly beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

4. Ruth I September 22, 2018 at 3:00 pm - Reply

The Japanese Garden is so pretty and calm. I’d love to spend a whole day walking around and just relaxing.

5. Jenn @ EngineerMommy September 22, 2018 at 8:13 pm - Reply

This looks like such a beautiful destination. I love seeing gardens like this with my family. I bet my kids would really enjoy visiting all the exhibits here!

6. Lynndee September 23, 2018 at 1:04 pm - Reply

We love visiting historical places and checking out museums. I hope we get to visit this one someday. The Japanese Gardens look beautiful.

7. Rachel September 24, 2018 at 3:08 am - Reply

I have never been to Buffalo. I really do enjoy checking out the local museums when I travel though.I find history to be so interesting.

8. Kristine Nicole Alessandra October 30, 2018 at 12:49 am - Reply

Everytime we travel, we make it a point to visit the local museums in the area. It is a great venue to learn more about the culture and history of a place. This one is Buffalo offers so many interesting items on display. Hopefully we make it there someday!

9. Jocelyn @ Hip Mama's Place October 30, 2018 at 4:21 am - Reply

I love visiting museums and Japanese gardens! There might be a chance for me and my husband to do a quick visit to South Carolina this winter and we’re looking to see some local museums there as well. Thanks for sharing your trip!

10. Geraline Batarra October 30, 2018 at 12:49 pm - Reply

I have never been there but that place sounds really a nice place to visit with your family most especially with your kids and I am sure they will really enjoy in that place.

11. Rhian westbury October 30, 2018 at 6:22 pm - Reply

The gardens look absolutely stunning, I love wandering around outside especially when you get nice weather like you did. The sports section looks interesting in the museum x

12. MELANIE EDJOURIAN October 30, 2018 at 8:32 pm - Reply

The museum sounds like an interesting place to visit. I’d love the Japanese gardens though they do look gorgeous. Shame they are small though.

13. David Elliott October 31, 2018 at 7:58 am - Reply

It looks like such a beautiful spot there. I always love going to History museums. Since I was a kid I always remembered the saying. Those who don’t understand history are doomed to repeat it. And the Japanese gardens look so beautiful. Very peaceful.

14. Cătălina-Iuliana Nini November 1, 2018 at 9:02 am - Reply

Museums are great, you can spend hours in there and you can never be bored. Loved the Japanese gardens , seemed so relaxed and quiet when you visited.

15. Sayanti November 1, 2018 at 4:12 pm - Reply

Whenever I go to a new place, I make sure to visit the museums. We can learn a great deal about the local cultures and traditions from there. This museum looks great too

16. Chinedu November 2, 2018 at 10:49 am - Reply

I love museums especially ones that are FREE! You just always leave feeling smarter and more knowledgeable haha The gardens look great, Japanese gardens in particular are so peaceful looking and creative. So much attention to detail. We have one in London called Kyoto Gardens – very beautiful!

17. John Sallie November 2, 2018 at 3:13 pm - Reply

Looks like a great place to spend the day indoors and out.

18. Elizabeth O November 14, 2018 at 8:25 pm - Reply

Buffalo isnt so far from me. I’ll add it to must see places on my next visit.