Thundering Brook Falls, Killington, Vermont

Thundering Brook Falls Killington Vermont

On a recent trip to Killington, Vermont, we were looking for outdoor activities, and in particular, wanted to visit some waterfalls.  Someone at our hotel recommended Thundering Brook Falls, which is located right in Killington.

The falls are easy to get to, and we found it easily with Google Maps.  There is a pull-off that can accommodate a half-dozen cars, and there is a trailhead with information.

Thundering Brook Falls Waterfall Trail, Killington Vermont

The trail itself is very easy, and we realized that it is handicap accessible, which is wonderful.

Thundering Brook Falls Waterfall Trail, Killington Vermont

The trail consists of boardwalks (built by the Green Mountain Club) and a wide path that is a combination of dirt and gravel.

Thundering Brook Falls Waterfall Trail, Killington Vermont

There are some great wildflowers along the way, even at the end of the summer.

Thundering Brook Falls Waterfall Trail, Killington Vermont

The trail is short and comes to an overlook at the bottom of the falls.

Thundering Brook Falls Waterfall Trail, Killington Vermont

This is supposedly the 6th tallest waterfall in Vermont, and it is definitely very large.  We visited in late August, and the water was still flowing nicely, but I’m sure it is even more impressive earlier in the season when water levels are higher.

Thundering Brook Falls Waterfall Trail, Killington Vermont

There are no swimming holes at this waterfall.  While swimming holes are a bonus at any waterfall, it was nice to sit and enjoy the scenery.

Thundering Brook Falls Waterfall Trail, Killington Vermont

Below the base of the waterfall are some buildings, which includes a historic mill.

Thundering Brook Falls Waterfall Trail, Killington Vermont

If you want to go up towards the top of the falls, there is an Appalachian trail and also some other trails that snake through the woods along the waterfall.

Thundering Brook Falls Waterfall Trail, Killington Vermont

We didn’t go too far up the waterfall before heading back out.

Thundering Brook Falls Waterfall Trail, Killington Vermont

We enjoyed Thundering Brook Falls, which was an easy, short hike to an impressive falls.

I recommend “Waterfalls of New England”, which was a great resource this summer.

Also be sure to check out our other Vermont destinations and Vermont hikes!

By | 2018-10-29T12:17:18+00:00 August 31st, 2018|Travel|15 Comments

1. candy August 31, 2018 at 7:47 pm - Reply

Looks like a beautiful place to visit. We enjoy finding parks like this with great hiking paths. Wonderful to get out and see nature and hopefully some waterfalls or wildlife.

2. Melissa Chapman August 31, 2018 at 8:25 pm - Reply

I live in NYC so this is not to far from me. My husband likes to take the kids hiking and this trail looked like a lot of fun. I will keeep this area in mind for a family road trip.

3. Amber Myers August 31, 2018 at 10:41 pm - Reply

What an amazing place to explore! I’ve always enjoyed waterfalls. I’d go here and relax with a book!

4. Lisa September 1, 2018 at 11:02 am - Reply

Looks like we’ll have to put this on our list when we go up to Vermont next summer. There so much to do and explore!

5. Heather September 1, 2018 at 1:33 pm - Reply

This looks like a peaceful place. I want to hike this trail. Vermont is a beauty.

6. Jeanine September 1, 2018 at 8:45 pm - Reply

Wow looks so peaceful and calming. I’d love to take s trek through and enjoy the scenery because it looks wonderful

7. Terri Steffes September 1, 2018 at 11:21 pm - Reply

Oh yes, this would definitely make my “must see” list. I love waterfalls and that path looks so cool and inviting.

8. Sara Welch September 2, 2018 at 2:35 am - Reply

That is such a peaceful place. I am sure my family would love this trip!

9. Kita Bryant September 2, 2018 at 2:36 am - Reply

I love getting outside to places like this. I would not mind some time out there.

10. Anosa Malanga September 2, 2018 at 1:10 pm - Reply

Wow! Indeed such a great place to relax and destress from the hustle and bustle of the city. I love discovering falls too. How I wish I could be able to personally visit this too.

11. Peter September 2, 2018 at 8:05 pm - Reply

Killington is such a beautiful spot. I used to ski killington when I was in grade school. I need to see it in the summer this beauty is ravishing

12. Sarah L September 3, 2018 at 2:45 am - Reply

What a beautiful waterfall. I like the way it tumbles down the rocks. So glad it’s accessible.

13. Carol Cassara September 3, 2018 at 4:13 pm - Reply

That’s super awesome! Love the trail and it’s definitely going to make the kids appreciate the outdoors more. I think it’s worth the visit, especially if you’re into hiking and exploring!

14. Mommy Peach September 3, 2018 at 9:48 pm - Reply

The waterfalls is a sight to see. I love the trail at Thundering Brook Falls. I hope I can visit it one of these days.

15. June S. September 19, 2018 at 3:52 am - Reply

(Thundering Brook Falls) This place looks so peaceful and inviting to me, I would love to go and see it for myself some day.