Muyil Ruins, Chunyaxche, Mexico

Muyil Ruins Chunyaxche, Mexico

When we visited Mexico, we knew we wanted to explore some Mayan ruins.  Since we were staying in Tulum, we visited some bigger ruins (like Coba), but not far from Tulum are the Muyil Ruins.  The ruins are about 2 hours south of Cancun, and for us it was a 20 minute drive from Tulum.

The ruins are easy to find, clearly marked along the highway, and also easy to find using Google Maps.

We parked near the entrance, and it seems like there is ample parking.  There is a counter where you can pay for your admission to the ruins.

One of the things I wish they handed out at Mayan Ruins are maps, but the ruins are small enough to explore on your own.  The paths around the ruins are well-maintained, and there is signage around the property.  I loved the ambiance of Muyil, as we walked around the jungle.

Muyil Ruins mexico

The Muyil ruins date back to 300 BC, and it is very interesting to visit.  It isn’t a far walk to the first set of buildings, only a minute or so from the entrance of the park.

Muyil Ruins Mexico

The most impressive structure at Muyil is El Castillo.

Muyil Castillo

What a difference from the other crowded ruins we have been to.  Although you can’t climb on any of the bigger structures, it is nice to really absorb the visit without the crowds.

Muyil Ruins Mexico

The grounds are not very big, so you can cover the area in a short amount of time.  However, we had a nice time walking around.  It gave us some time to stretch our legs and get some fresh air, enjoy the jungle and ruins.  For the kids, they weren’t overly interested, but it was just the right length of time for exploring.

Muyil Ruins Mexico

It was very peaceful morning at Muyil.  There was only one other group there, of a couple tourists that had driven their own car.  Much different than other ruins like Coba or Chichen-Itza, where busloads of tourists are brought in.  I recommend taking in the solitude, flora and fauna.

Muyil Ruins Mexico

We meandered around Muyil for a couple hours, even taking the path to the entrance to the lagoon, although the gate was closed.  I would love to go back sometime and add a trip to the Sian Ka’an nature reserve.  We simply didn’t have time to add a Sian Ka’an tour this time.

Muyil Ruins Mexico

Tips for your visit:

~ Bring bug spray. The ruins are truly in the jungle and there were lots of mosquitoes!
~ I don’t think you need sunscreen, as most of the walkways are through the jungle.
~ There are bathrooms.
~ We did not see a gift shop or any items to purchase, although there were some shops across the highway, with foods and local crafts.  They looked interesting but we didn’t have time to stop.

Our other Mexico posts:

Punta Laguna Nature Reserve, near Coba
Xcaret, Playa del Carmen
Yal Ku Lagoon, Akumal
Zazil Kin Beach, Tulum

By | 2018-02-09T13:07:25+00:00 December 17th, 2017|Travel|20 Comments

1. Maryann D. December 17, 2017 at 1:22 pm - Reply

The Mayan ruins is certainly an interesting place to visit. I would find it fascinating. Wonderful photos.

2. Amber Ludwig December 17, 2017 at 9:36 pm - Reply

Aren’t they just magical?! We always went to Cancun during hurricane season to avoid all the tourists. We got to visit Chichen Itza with very few others with us!! Its amazing the energy in the air there…almost electric!! I loved exploring the history!! One day I hope to go back and see more! We didn’t get to see these and they look super neat. Plus I love the lack of tourists!

3. robin rue December 27, 2017 at 5:04 pm - Reply

How amazing to get to see the ruins up close like this. I have never been there, but would love to visit someday!

4. Candy December 27, 2017 at 5:15 pm - Reply

Never been any place in Mexico. If we ever visited it would be a area that has ruins like this to see and learn about.

5. Liz @ Yes/No Detroit December 27, 2017 at 5:39 pm - Reply

Wow – these look beautiful. I’ve been to Mexico but a long time ago, with my family … I’d like to go back at some point. I did go briefly last year but only for a wine tour (we were staying in San Diego).

6. Natalie December 27, 2017 at 6:32 pm - Reply

I remember learning about the Mayan ruins back in high school in Spanish class and promising myself that one day I would admire them with my own eyes. Hoping to make it a reality very soon! Loved reading your travel experience in Mexico!

7. Jenny Finney December 27, 2017 at 9:16 pm - Reply

I have been to Cozumel and Cancun and never visited the Mayan Ruins. This is one thing I want to do next time we are there. That pathway looks beautiful!

8. Amber Myers December 27, 2017 at 9:21 pm - Reply

So cool! I would love to check out these ruins. I’m a huge fan of history.

9. Lisa Favre December 28, 2017 at 12:05 am - Reply

Love all the photos you gathered up from this trip. Mexico has such amazing historical sites – would love to see them in person one day!

10. Jenn @ EngineerMommy December 28, 2017 at 12:24 am - Reply

I went to mexico once many years ago. This looks like a beautiful destination. I would love to visit with the family one day.

11. Anosa December 28, 2017 at 6:48 am - Reply

Part of my 2018 adventures includes Mexico and now I can add muyil ruins to places I need to explore for sure. Thanks for the tips

12. mellissa December 28, 2017 at 2:13 pm - Reply

Beautiful historical sites and awesome adventures. I love looking at photos from other’s adventures and these look great! Thanks for sharing.

13. Mimi Green December 28, 2017 at 2:34 pm - Reply

It looks beautiful, I like checking out nature. Bringing mosquito repellent is a great idea, I never remember to do that.

14. Chubskulit Rose December 28, 2017 at 7:52 pm - Reply

That ruins reminds me of the Cagsawa Church ruins we had back in Asia. It’s always fascinating to see remains like that!

15. Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes December 28, 2017 at 8:18 pm - Reply

Good to know the ruins are small enough to explore on your own! I have been to Mexico several times but my husband and I have never made time to visit the ruins. Next time for sure!

16. Sara Welch December 28, 2017 at 8:54 pm - Reply

I have always wanted to see Mexico’s ruins. They have always fascinated me.

17. Cyn Gagen December 28, 2017 at 10:07 pm - Reply

I’ve always wanted to visit Mayan ruins. It just looks so beautiful and peaceful there.

18. Amanda December 29, 2017 at 3:08 am - Reply

Wow, these ruins are absolutely stunning. Isn’t it funny how when something is old and falling apart, it can still be breathtakingly beautiful? Just proves that art is timeless.

19. Sapphire Kharyzma December 29, 2017 at 4:02 am - Reply

One of the best things that have fascinated me about Mexico has been the ruins. It’s on my bucket list!

20. Bohemian Babushka December 29, 2017 at 6:43 am - Reply

Ruins truly do transport one back in time. Babushka was able to visit the more popular ones, and even those have you thinking about prior occupants and how their lives must have been.