Tinker Crate: Creating STEM Projects at Home

Kiwi Co

I received a Tinker Crate in exchange for my honest review.

We try to provide as many learning experiences for our kids as possible, from travel adventures to exploring nature and doing science experiments at home.  It can be a challenge to find ways to keep the kids interested and engaged, and away from electronics.  I had heard about Tinker Crate, a subscription box for kids, and was curious to try it out.

There are a variety of crates to choose from at Kiwi Co (depending on your child’s age), including the Tinker Crate for ages 9-16.  I like that there are different options for different ages – there is even a Cricket Crate for newborns!

We were so excited when our Tinker Crate arrived.  It comes with just about everything to make a hydraulic claw, and all we needed was a pair of scissors and a cup of water.  Often we get kits where we can’t even use it without having to go shopping for supplies first, which is frustrating for everyone – so we were already off to a great start with Tinker Crate!

The instructions are very clear, and I let my 10 year old work on this on her own.  The whole process is very straightforward and organized, which is great.  My daughter can get frustrated, and I did help her with a few steps, but mostly just confirming that she was putting things together correctly.  There is also an online video tutorial, which is another option especially if you get hung up on something.

Tinker Crate Instructions

The pieces in the kit are well-made.  I was impressed with the parts to the claw, which consist of grey plastic pieces (not cardboard), brads, zip ties, and foam double-sided tape.

Tinker Crate

Here is our hydraulic claw in action!

Once the basic claw was assembled, there are different options as far as other projects you can create.  The learning does not stop with the single hydraulic claw, as you can make a more complex structure, other projects, or simply learn more about science.  The Tinker Crate easily provides hours of activities.

Tinker Crate

My daughter enjoyed making a larger hydraulic claw structure.

Tinker Crate

She even got her younger sister involved, and they put together a little cup “bucket” for the claw to pick up, and they put different items in the cup to see how much the claw could lift.

Tinker Crate

Tinker Crate is a fantastic kit for kids and families.  The cool thing is that because this is a subscription box, you get something different every month, with new projects.  Not only do my kids love getting things in the mail, but now they can’t wait to try another Tinker Crate!

Visit Kiwi Co and Tinker Crate at https://www.kiwico.com/tinker

By | 2017-10-24T15:18:42+00:00 September 22nd, 2017|Uncategorized|29 Comments

1. Christina A. September 23, 2017 at 3:58 am - Reply

That looks like a great box for kids! My son loves science so he would enjoy this!

2. Amber Myers September 25, 2017 at 12:06 pm - Reply

This looks like a fabulous box. I’m pretty sure my kids would have so much fun with it. They love to build stuff.

3. Terri Beavers September 25, 2017 at 12:31 pm - Reply

OH wow, I love products that make kids use their imaginations. I received a crate similar to this company over the summer and we’re still putting it together. It’s a little too difficult for the kids and I’m certainly learning as I go, lol.

4. Joanna @ Everyday Made Fresh September 25, 2017 at 3:16 pm - Reply

We have wanted to get into this for over a year now. We homeschool, and this would be a great supplement when it comes to STEM. My daughter would love it, I’m sure.

5. Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle September 25, 2017 at 4:13 pm - Reply

Tinker Crate is AMAZING! I think it’s so important to get kids excited about learning early, and this is a perfect way to do that. STEM is the future, and our kids need to be a part of it.

6. Joely Smith September 25, 2017 at 8:27 pm - Reply

This is SO COOL!!! We need to spark the imaginations and minds of our youth! This is just the thing to do it!

7. Sapphire Kharyzma September 25, 2017 at 10:35 pm - Reply

STEM is such an awesome innovation. I love doing STEM projects with my son. He enjoys it so much! I have to try this one with him, I know he will enjoy it!

8. Melissa Dixon September 26, 2017 at 3:08 am - Reply

These kind of projects are perfect for getting kids interested in new ideas. I love the creativity it sparks!

9. Karissa September 26, 2017 at 3:25 am - Reply

I am so glad you are getting your kids involved with STEM toys. They are a great way too learn!

10. Slap Dash Mom September 26, 2017 at 5:17 am - Reply

This looks like a lot of fun. We just started homeschooling our youngest daughter, who is high needs and very hands on. She would love this. Gotta try it!

11. Kathy September 26, 2017 at 2:15 pm - Reply

This sounds like a great project. I think it’s a great box that both my girls would enjoy. I love that this is so involved with STEM.

12. Michelle Waller September 26, 2017 at 6:24 pm - Reply

This sounds like an awesome subscription box for my daughter. She loves to make stuff and this seems perfect, especially with homeschooling.

13. Allison September 26, 2017 at 10:28 pm - Reply

How cool is this?! I especially love that it’s a subscription box so the kids can never tire of redoing the same project. Really cool activity. Wish I had something like this when I was younger.

14. Jasmine Eclipse September 27, 2017 at 8:52 am - Reply

I love the STEM movement! I especially love that it’s being tailored to girls now too. My sister would love this kit!

15. David Elliott September 27, 2017 at 2:12 pm - Reply

This just looks like such a cool project. I will have to look into this. My daughter loves this kind of craft for sure.

16. Lynndee September 27, 2017 at 3:47 pm - Reply

Tinker Crate looks fantastic indeed. I would love for my niece and nephew to have that. They love those kind of things.

17. Aduke Schulist September 28, 2017 at 1:50 am - Reply

I love the boxes like this that encourage creativity. This one looks especially fun.

18. This Mum At Home September 28, 2017 at 10:42 am - Reply

This looks great! If my son was older I think he could do by himself. I think right now I would need to help him, but would enjoy it Im sure! I love this type of thing

19. Kate September 28, 2017 at 11:22 am - Reply

We get the regular Kiwi Crate for my 7 year old, and he always is so excited when his box arrives. This looks like a perfect choice to transition him to when he’s a bit older. Thanks for the thorough review!

20. Stacy September 28, 2017 at 3:34 pm - Reply

This is awesome. My kiddos are too young but this would make a great Christmas gift for a few kiddos in the family.

21. Natalie September 28, 2017 at 3:44 pm - Reply

How cool ! I’ve been wanting to try out a kiwi crate for my 4 year old . I love that all supplies come in the box !

22. Audrey September 29, 2017 at 12:10 pm - Reply

Tinker Crate is such a great idea! STEM is the future, so it’s important that we get our kids excited about it. I love this!

23. Claire September 29, 2017 at 3:29 pm - Reply

This looks so fun! I bet my kiddos would love!

24. Scott October 1, 2017 at 2:06 pm - Reply

That’s a super cool crate. Heck with the kids, I would love to get one for myself!

25. Kathleen Kennedy-Leon October 2, 2017 at 12:09 pm - Reply

We love to get really into STEM projects. This looks like great fun and it gives the kids a real sense of accomplishment too. This is what we need more of in today’s classrooms as well as playrooms

26. Rosey October 3, 2017 at 9:42 am - Reply

This is fun for the kids. If something is a tad bit hard, to the point of being frustrating, I will step in and help too, so it stays enjoyable.

27. Brandy October 3, 2017 at 5:48 pm - Reply

This would definitely be fun to do with my kiddo. It uses their imagination and also their hands. Keeps them away from playing video games all day and I am all for that.

28. Candace November 15, 2017 at 6:30 pm - Reply

Can the projects be taken apart and redone several times?

• Marysa November 15, 2017 at 7:52 pm - Reply

I think some can. The kit also comes with a booklet so you can do a variety of activities, so there is more to the kit than just assembling your main item!