Festive Cranberry Shortcake

Thanksgiving

I partnered with Evite to create this Thanksgiving recipe. This is a paid post.

Thanksgiving is such a great time of year.  Fall is so busy and it is nice to take a few days to settle down and celebrate while spend quality time with family.  And while our family is very small, that is something I am used to.  Raised by my grandmother, Thanksgiving usually meant a trip to my great-grandmother’s house, and every year we enjoyed a quiet but fun dinner together.

Tradition is big for us, yet at the same time, not a big deal – which sounds a little contradictory!  I grew up with traditions, but in an nontraditional way, if that makes sense.  Thanksgivings were small.  We didn’t have much money, so we did what we could – and we had the best times doing things differently!  I crave that same way of coming up with our own traditions, and every year, the kids look forward to those things.

Since having kids, Thanksgiving is all about them and how grateful I am for my family, however small, and the friends who make up our support system.  Thanksgiving has evolved to make it a fun day for the kids, from activities to making the foods they like, making many of our own traditions.  Where many families might focus on a big turkey, we have a small family with mostly vegetarians!  And while I might get super excited over mashed potatoes, my kids don’t want any on their plates.  My tip is make Thanksgiving what you want!

This year, I wanted to do something a little different with dessert, since we usually do some kind of pie or apple or pumpkin bread or cake.  My kids have never been a fan of pies, and since this is about the time of year we run out of our homemade strawberry sauce for Strawberry Shortcake, it was only natural to come up with a Thanksgiving cranberry version.

Evite Cranberry Shortcake

Cranberry Shortcake Recipe

This dish was created both as a spin in Strawberry Shortcake – and also because it is easy.  Honestly, Thanksgiving can lose it’s appeal when you are stressing out all day over food!  My goal for desserts is to make it easy to make, something the kids can help with, and also something they will enjoy.

To make this Cranberry Shortcake, you just need some simple ingredients:

~ Pound Cake
~ Cranberries
~ Cranberry Juice
~ Sugar
~ Whipped Cream

To start, if you want to be ambitious and make your own pound cake, go for it.  You could even make this a day ahead of time if you are looking to spread out the timing.  Otherwise, there are so many pound cakes you can buy, from the grocery store to the bakery.

To make the sugared cranberries:

Start by heating up 1/2 cup water with 1/2 cup sugar until dissolved.  Stir in the cranberries and then place on a drying rack.  I actually allowed my cranberries to heat up a little, so a few popped, but honestly they are so tasty and tender by the end of the project, it doesn’t matter.  I also re-poured the syrup from the pan over the cranberries on the drying rack to make them extra sticky!

Evite Cranberry Shortcake

Once the cranberries are dry – after about an hour – they are ready to roll in sugar.  If you need to wait longer, that is fine too – just pop them in the fridge and roll them in sugar when you are ready.

Evite Cranberry Shortcake

To make cranberry sauce:

Use about 1 cranberry juice and 2 cups sugar.  Add in a 12 oz bag of fresh cranberries and simmer until tender.  I found myself making a sort of “cranberry slurry”, allowing the cranberries to soften and mashing them with my mixing spoon.  I love fresh cranberries, so I wanted a rich, chunky sauce for the Cranberry Shortcake.

At this point, you can assemble your dish!  Start with slices of pound cake, top with the cranberry sauce, add whipped cream on top, and garnish with the sugared cranberries.

Evite Cranberry Shortcake

This dish is bright and fun, adding a pop of color to your Thanksgiving table.  It is easy to make, which means less stress and more fun!  My kids love this dessert, even if sometimes they are in it just for the pound cake!

Happy Thanksgiving from our little family to yours!

Head over to Evite to check out the #PassTheGiving Holiday Guide for entertaining.  I joined other influencers to share new twists on old traditions for great idea this holiday season!

Evite Thanksgiving Cranberry Shortcake

By | 2016-12-20T02:59:45+00:00 November 15th, 2016|Christmas, Dessert, Entertainment, Food, Thanksgiving|17 Comments

1. Valerie December 19, 2016 at 8:11 pm - Reply

I would have never thought of making it when cranberries. What a great idea. It’s really festive. With the sugar it would help the tart flavor so I’m going to try it. Thank you. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

2. censie December 20, 2016 at 12:08 am - Reply

How have I never thought of this? Strawberry shortcake is my favorite dessert but now I MUST try it like this. Makes a summer dessert into a perfect winter/holiday dessert. Yum!! Love cranberries too!

3. Cassie Tucker December 20, 2016 at 12:09 pm - Reply

Of course I have heard of strawberry shortcake (who hasn’t?) but I would never have thought to change the recipe and use cranberry sauce. This is a very creative spin on a classic that is just perfect for the holidays. I know this was originally done for Thanksgiving but I think I’m going to try it at our Christmas dinner.

4. dee December 20, 2016 at 4:02 pm - Reply

Now this looks awesome!!!! I love the pound cake mixed with the cranberry sauce and I love how you listed how to make the sauce. I am going to have to try it.

5. Kristy @ Mommy Hates Cooking December 20, 2016 at 5:49 pm - Reply

Strawberry shortcake is a family favorite, but I’ve never really given much thought to changing up the fruit. Talk about a game changer! This Cranberry Shortcake sound absolutely amazing! I’m anxious to try this for my family and friends to taste!

6. Amanda December 20, 2016 at 9:37 pm - Reply

This sounds like such a delicious and festive holiday cake. I mostly make cookies and pies during the holidays but I would love to make something a bit lighter this year since we were just hit with a nasty stomach bug. I bet it is great with some whipped cream and fresh berries on top!

7. Victoria December 20, 2016 at 11:01 pm - Reply

I have tried strawberry shortcake, but I have never tried cranberry shortcake. However, I must admit that I am already a fan of cranberries so it is something that I would probably like. I love finding recipes that put a twist on a traditional dish, that’s the key to keeping food interesting!

8. Debra @ Traveling Well For Less December 21, 2016 at 12:12 am - Reply

Who doesn’t love Strawberry shortcake. Your Cranberry Shortcake is such a cool take on a classic recipe. We love using Evites – so much easier than mailing invitations and there are no more, “lost in the mail” excuses. 🙂

9. Bites for Foodies December 21, 2016 at 1:43 am - Reply

This cake looks like a winner! I love pound cake but can’t eat it due to gluten issues however, I am on the hunt for a gluten-free recipe!

10. jennifer December 22, 2016 at 8:43 pm - Reply

This looks so good!! I’ve never tried something like this, how delicious!! I need to try making this this weekend. I’d love to try it out – it seems really easy to make! I love cranberries so I know I’d love this!

11. Travel Blogger December 28, 2016 at 5:37 pm - Reply

That looks great. I would like to try it out.

12. Debra December 29, 2016 at 5:08 am - Reply

Those sugared cranberries look divine! What a great combination of flavors!

13. Audrey McClelland December 29, 2016 at 4:05 pm - Reply

That sounds so yummy! I love shortcake, and cranberry is a great flavor. It’s so good on pretty much everything. I can’t wait to try this!

14. Kim Croisant December 30, 2016 at 3:02 pm - Reply

Cranberries are powerful as they have antioxidants in them. This recipe looks so yummy!! I love cooked cranberries too!!

15. Carlee C December 30, 2016 at 3:13 pm - Reply

That is my kind of recipe with the cake already made! I am all about shortcuts with 3 kids and this looks so good!

16. John Smith February 7, 2017 at 4:25 am - Reply

Festive cranberry shortcake really looks great!

17. Amy D February 2, 2018 at 8:44 pm - Reply

My favorite dessert is strawberry shortcake. Cranberry shortcake is such a great idea for a festive twist. My family really enjoys cranberries too. Thanks for the great idea.