Your roof is one of the most important components of your home. It protects everything inside from outside elements like rain, snow, wind, and sun. Over time, weather damage, aging materials, and improper maintenance can cause roof leaks, deterioration, and even collapse. If you notice multiple issues with your roof, it may be time for total roof restoration services like Rekote Roofing rather than simple repairs.
Why Patching Fails
Homeowners often spot a leak or missing shingle and call a roofer to patch that one area. But when the entire roof surface is aged and weathered, patching it is only a temporary fix. Surrounding materials will continue degrading, leading to more leaks which require more patches. Eventually the roof looks like a patchwork quilt yet still doesn’t prevent interior water damage.
Signs You Need Complete Re-Roofing
Watch for these warning signs that indicate it’s time for total roof replacement:
- Your roof is over 20 years old, the typical lifespan for most roofing materials
- Shingles are cracked, buckled, missing granules, or falling off
- Roof valleys are filled with debris causing water to pool and backup
- Flashings around vents, chimneys, edges are cracked or loose
- Large sections are blistered or bare exposing vulnerable underlayment
- Water stains on interior ceilings or wet attic insulation
- A layer or two of replacement shingles have already been added over old
- You continually need to make roof repairs for new leaks
If your roof shows multiple aging signs, restoring small sections when issues appear just won’t withstand nature’s elements much longer.
Benefits of Full Roof Restoration
Though pricier upfront, re-roofing has many advantages over spot repairs:
Longevity: New layered architectural shingles or metal roofing last 30 years or more
Efficiency: Modern materials reflect heat better reducing cooling bills too
Beauty: Contemporary styles can enhance roof visual appeal
Safety: Avoid risk of severe leaks, mold growth, or collapse
Value: A new roof adds curb appeal and resale value to your property
Peace of mind: Don’t worry about leaks as you sleep.
Additionally, completely stripping and replacing a roof corrects any underlying moisture issues and decking damage on the whole structure. The process often comes with extended manufacturer warranties as well.
DIY vs Hiring a Roofer
In most cases, taking on a roofing overhaul yourself is not realistic or advisable. Roofing requires expertise in:
- Safely maneuvering steep angles
- Tearing off existing materials properly
- Inspecting and replacing rotten wooden decking
- Installing leak barriers and drip edge
- Shingling with proper overlap and alignments
- Without the right skills, you risk hazardous falls, sloppy repairs, voiding warranties, and long term issues.
Qualified roofing contractors have the experience, equipment, supplies and manpower to remove old shingles or tiles, repair underlying structure, and install new, longer-lasting materials that shed water efficiently.
Some key questions to ask prospective roofers include:
- Are you certified and fully insured?
- Do you provide detailed written estimates?
- Will you furnish before and after pictures?
- What warranties and guarantees apply?
- When will the work be completed?
- Who will haul away old roof debris?
- What safety precautions will you take? Getting quotes from 2-3 reputable local roofing
companies can give you optimal pricing and workmanship on significant investments like whole house re-roofing projects.
If patching shingles hasn’t fixed chronic leakage issues, frequent roof repairs are disrupting your lifestyle, or over 20 years have passed since the last roof replacement, the time has come to restore full integrity. Investing in professional re-roofing services can save thousands long-term in preventing costly structural repairs from water damage. Just make sure to get multiple quotes and check references to pick the best roofer for the job.