Keeping your home clean and free of any dust, bacteria, and viruses is key to protecting the health of your children and pets. However, some cleaning products can be dangerous for young children and animals and should be replaced with a safe alternative or used in a safe way.
ICE Cleaning is a professional cleaning company that offers a wide range of cleaning services including mould remediation, trauma cleaning, and fire damage clean up. Its technicians are available nationwide, 365 days a year, 24/7.
Continue reading to find out how to keep your home clean and safe for all.
Use non-toxic cleaning products
Lots of cleaning products contain harmful substances like ammonia or potassium hydroxide. When touched, ingested, or inhaled, they can cause health problems ranging from burns to organ damage.
Children and animals are particularly vulnerable to such products. Should a child or animal eat some food that has fallen onto a just-cleaned surface, for example, they could ingest the chemical.
Check the label of your products carefully to make sure they don’t contain any dangerous chemicals or consider using an alternative. There are plenty of other non-toxic products to choose from, and even household goods like vinegar and bicarbonate of soda.
Store products safely
If you do use chemical-based cleaning products, make sure they are well out of reach of children and pets and, if possible, lock them away. Don’t forget to make sure any lids and containers are shut tight and securely in case the products fall onto the floor and spill.
Don’t mix cleaning products
Some chemicals produce harmful substances when mixed together, for example, bleach and vinegar create chlorine gas. Make sure you are careful when using potentially hazardous substances to keep yourself and others safe.
Keep children and pets away while cleaning
Don’t let children play in the area you are cleaning in case they touch, inhale, or ingest the cleaning products. Monitor them closely during and after you have cleaned if they were present to make sure they are not exhibiting symptoms of any health problems as a result of contact with the chemicals.
Ventilate the area
Some cleaning products give off harmful fumes, like bleach and ammonia. To ensure no children or animals inhale them, keep them away from the area you are cleaning, shut doors to the rest of your home, and open windows to ventilate the room.
You should only let children and pets re-enter the area a little while after when you are sure the fumes have dissipated.
Should you require expert cleaning, ICE Cleaning’s professional cleaners can use safe products in a safe way to protect yourself and others. They are fully qualified and have been accredited by a wide range of organisations including Dewpoint Professional and BICSc.
You can find out more about ICE Cleaning on its website.