Proper house maintenance and repair are crucial to ensure efficient functioning and safety. And if you’re living in areas prone to extreme weather conditions, maintenance becomes all the more crucial. Due to the humid summers and chilly winters in Kentucky, homeowners in Louisville should be extra vigilant about their annual home maintenance before the start of each season.
Any home’s maintenance can be broken down into two major steps. The first is repairing what is broken or unable to function. The second is upholding the efficiency of what works. For example, broken tiles or plumbing systems must be fixed, while chimneys and vents must be swept and cleaned to ensure optimal performance.
Below is a breakdown of what residents should focus on maintaining and repairing in their homes before the commencement of the four seasons.
Checklist For Winters
With temperatures falling below freezing, the frosty winters in Louisville call for the following fixes and tweaks in your home:
- Pipes: PVC pipes and plumbing systems are prone to damage in the harsh winter months. As temperatures fall, water in pipes freezes and expands, creating cracks. When the water begins thawing, it leaks through the cracks, wreaking havoc for homeowners. Hence, it is essential to examine pipes during the winter and check the basement, ceilings, and below the sinks for any water damage.
- Heating and Insulation: When it comes to staying warm in the winter while also cutting down on electricity bills, a pro tip is to repair or install new windows in your home. Consult a Louisville window replacement company to carry out this task. By utilizing the expertise of professionals, you can ensure proper window installation. Furthermore, remember to replace the heating filters in your HVAC system and keep an eye on your boiler system to ensure warm water gushes through the pipes all winter.
- Roof: Ice dams are a common problem where ice accumulates on the roof of a house, creating dams. Upon thawing, the dams seep through the roof, damaging paint, tiles, and flooring. Therefore, pay close attention to the condition of your roof and keep a roof rake handy to remove any ice buildup.
- Emergency Prepping for Storms: You never know when a harmless snowfall can turn into a blizzard. To prepare for a winter storm, keep wood, fuel, and food supplies stocked. Investing in a portable generator by searching online for “top generator installation companies near me“, will also aid you in a blackout.
Checklist For Spring
As the winter season waves goodbye and flowers begin blooming, check the following off of your list to prepare for spring:
- Prepare the Garden: The first order of business is to inspect the garden to make your home spring-ready from the outside. Rake up dead leaves, mow the lawn, have the best tree service in Inverness monitor the health of your trees and plants, and reseed your flower beds to ensure your garden is fully bloomed by late spring.
- Patio and Exterior of the Home: The winters often damage the exterior of an abode. Therefore, spring is the perfect time to make your house presentable on the outside again. If snowfall has caused damage to the paint, roof, front porch, or any other external part of the house, get this fixed immediately. If your fireplace was at work during the winter, the chimney is bound to have wear and tear that needs repair.
- Drainage: Dirt and debris accumulate in the gutters, drains, and downspouts, clogging them. Clogged gutters can easily leak or overflow, so their maintenance is paramount. The springtime also brings rain showers, so check your sump pump’s motor to ensure it drains properly. Moreover, flushing the boiler system is essential to eliminating sediments that gather beneath the tank.
- Vents: Your spring cleanup should involve the removal of lint and dust from vents and cleaning and servicing the furnace and vents of your HVAC system.
- Smoke Detectors: Another vital part of the spring cleanup checklist is replacing the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
Checklist For Summer
The soaring temperatures during summertime, accompanied by the muggy Louisville, KY atmosphere, make it the season for less work and more relaxation. However, stay on top of these repairs and maintenance for a hassle-free summer:
- Watering the Garden: The hard work put into your garden during springtime must be preserved during the summer. To keep the flora in your garden hydrated, check your sprinkler systems and change their filters and valves. Ensure the sprays are wide enough and equally spread water across the garden. Set the timers to your desired duration, and watch for leaks.
- Cooling and Air Conditioning: For the HVAC system in your home to work efficiently all summer long, ensure the filters are cleaned biweekly or monthly. Remember that the cooling system’s efficiency will decline if the caulking or rubber stripping around your windows and doors has cracks or spaces between them.
- Pest Control: As insects and pests come from hibernation, they will surely enter your garden and home. Use over-the-counter pest control sprays or consult a professional to keep your house bug and infestation free.
Checklist For Fall
The checklist for fall is a preliminary step to your winter checklist and includes the following:
- Raking Leaves: Leaves withering and falling in abundance can pose an annoyance to homeowners if they end up accumulating in heaps. To prevent this, rake the garden and bring out the leaf blower daily.
- Sealing Air Conditioning: With winter approaching, your air conditioning system will not be used for many months. Therefore, cover and seal its vents and ducts to prevent unnecessary dust or lint from getting trapped in them.
- Servicing Furnace and Heating: It is better to service the HVAC system before winter to guarantee it works properly. Check the temperature controller, airflow, and replace the furnace filters for smooth heating. For those relying on their fireplace to keep them toasted during the cold, get it inspected and the chimneys professionally swept before winter.
Keeping your home in top-notch condition all year round involves paying the utmost care and attention to its inner and outer workings before the commencement of each season. Homeowners in Louisville, KY, enjoy all four seasons at their peak. So, follow the abovementioned checklist to ensure your home remains comfortable and livable during each season and yields favorable results.