Have you been planning about getting a ‘boob job’? If that is so, you have to think about it for some time. You have to ask yourself many times “why do you need to take breast augmentation?”
Your goal must be clear to you before you consult with an expert surgeon. Surgery is a real thing and is not only decided over dinner discussing with girlfriends. You must take time to know first what breast augmentation is.
This article will help you with useful information about breast augmentation including the dos and don’ts before and after the surgery.
What is Breast Augmentation And What Should I Consider Before The Surgery
Breast augmentation is about the enlargement of breasts using artificial implants such as a silicone bag or prosthesis inserted under your breast. It will then be filled with a saline solution which increases the cup size of your breast.
Consult an expert if you are decided to get a ‘boob job’. During the consultation, you are going to talk about your preferred size. The surgeon will then give options and explain thoroughly about the specific types of implants as well as the surgical methods.
Once you are done with your consultation, make sure that you have reviewed and understood whatever is written in your agreement or records. Here are things that you should consider before surgery:
- Breast implants are not made to prevent breasts from sagging. If your breasts are sagging, a breast lift might be added to breast augmentation to correct it. You must also consider the breast implant sizes you would want to have.
- Breast implants don’t last for a lifetime. It has a lifespan of ten (10) years. Also, the implant could rupture so pay attention to the do’s and don’ts below.
- Breasts continue to age. Aside from that, factors such as weight gain or loss might change the look of your breast. These likely lead to more surgery.
- Breast implants might complicate mammograms. With that, additional and specialized views might be needed.
- Breastfeeding can sometimes be challenging. However, some women successfully breastfeed their children after the augmentation.
- Please note that breast augmentation is not covered by insurance unless it is medically needed. Considering this part, prepare yourself to handle expenses in the future in case you need another surgery of future imaging tests.
- You can decide to remove the implants. However, you need to have a breast lift or other corrective surgery to help restore the appearance of your breasts.
- You have to undergo an MRI monitoring every three years as required by the FDA. This is in case you have symptoms or device failure.
What You Should Do Before A Breast Augmentation?
Take note of the following information. These are the things you should do right before your breast augmentation:
- Set an appointment only with reputable experts on Plastic Surgery San Diego. Make a list of Board-Certified plastic surgeons and check their websites and social media accounts for reviews.
- You should avoid smoking one month before and two weeks after the surgery. This is to avoid impairing the wound healing which can lead to infection.
- It is advised that 14 days before and 48 hours after your surgery, you should not take aspirin, ibuprofen, vitamin E, fish oil, or any medications that contain such products.
- Supplements like Ginkgo Biloba, St. John’s wort, and garlic are advised to not take. It may thin your blood.
- The only recommended pain reliever for patients is Tylenol®.
- After surgery, you should have someone to help you during your recovery. Someone who can buy prescribed medicines, and talk with your nurse.
- Apply Bactroban or Mupirocin 2% to both of your nostrils twice a day. This should be done five days before your surgery.
- Note that you should not shave three days before your surgery.
- The night before and the morning of your surgery, you take a shower using antibacterial soap.
- Cleanse your chest and underarms with the utmost care. You can wash your hair a night before your surgery. However, you mustn’t apply deodorant, powder, or lotion.
- Jewelry or nail polish is not advisable. Remove any body piercings or sculpture nails.
- For your comfort, you must wear a loose, button-down shirt.
- There will be a staff representative who’ll give any further instructions like when you should stop eating and drinking. Also, the medications you need to take.
Results After Your Breast Augmentation
A lot of people who underwent breast augmentation failed to strictly follow what they should do right after the surgery.
Please note that after the surgery, your body will experience discomforts. It’s when you are in a very sensitive situation that needs special care.
Here are the things you should expect after breast augmentation:
You’ll feel pain. That said, the surgeon will prescribe you a pain reliever that should be taken as directed.
You’ll feel tired due to anesthesia. You’ll probably feel it during your first three weeks.
After the surgery, your breasts are expected to swell. The incision will be monitored. A week after the surgery, sutures will be removed. Also, expect the feeling of tightness and pressure.
Lastly, for your first few days of recovery, expect some drainage from the incisions.
Tips For A Fast And Healthy Recovery After A Breast Augmentation
During your healing process, your breasts will be wrapped by gauze dressings and elastic bandage or support bra to help lessen the swelling.
When you are discharged, here are some tips on how you can quickly and healthily recover from breast augmentation:
- You must not do any heavy lifting within six weeks.
- Driving is prohibited unless you have finished all the narcotic pain medications.
- Find someone who can assist you with household chores, and take care of your kids (if you have any).
- Ready all medications that are prescribed to you. In case you’ll need it, they are all close at hand.
- Get plenty of rest. You’ll need a lot of pillows when you sleep. Getting enough sleep can help regain your strength.
- Take light and healthy foods. Take plenty of water to keep you hydrated. Better stock your kitchen with these foods.
Leave A Comment