You don’t have to break the bank to achieve a luxurious look in your home. A few tweaks using timeless classics should make your home look expensive without the corresponding price tag.
Here are five ways you will find useful:
Creating Styled Vignettes
This technique always pulls off an elegant look, especially when decorating on a budget as you only need to use the existing furniture. The secret is to avoid strewing items together and arrange them thoughtfully.
Critical areas to focus on include console tables, bookshelves, mantels, and coffee tables. When arranging bookshelves, for example, arrange the books vertically and horizontally while layering in accessories such as photo frames, small floral displays, and decorative objects.
For mantels, arrange the items in symmetry to create a balanced display. Avoid cluttering coffee tables; instead, choose a few objects that complement each other and have contrasting shapes.
Such an organization enables you to achieve a visually appealing space that makes a space look well-thought-out. Here are additional tips to help you pull out this style best:
- Arrange items in threes and fives: The arrangement helps achieve symmetry effortlessly
- Add material with different texture: Glass, wood, metal, paper have different texture hence likely to add more variety to space
- Layer items that have different sizes and shapes
Installing A Video Wall
A video wall is a simple, elegant way of making your living space suitable for hosting a variety of events. The video wall functions as a large screen for a classy movie night while providing a way to display digital artwork.
The digital screens for video wall hardware are available in different shapes, sizes, and forms. Some function as display screens while others are equipped with touchscreen technology. The beauty of using video wall screens to decorate a space is that you don’t have to purchase additional decoration.
Layer Lighting Fixtures
Lighting a space using one overhead fixture dulls a room. Instead, layer your lighting using matching lamps on a console table or floor lamp by an armchair. However you want to illuminate the space ensure you light the room from different angles and heights to create a cohesive and functional lightscape.
If layering ambient lighting, use one light every four square feet of the ceiling as it is not as bright as other types of lighting. Task lighting provides more specialized lighting; hence can be used in any room of a home. Since task lighting is not designed to light an entire space, you need to measure the square footage of the area and multiply by 50 to determine the minimum lumen level for adequate lighting.
An area rug transforms a space and creates a cohesive look. Be sure to look for a rug that holds up heavy traffic and has colors that complement the space. Here are different ways to create an elegant look using an area rug:
- Define a space: You can use the rug to define areas like dining rooms or foyers. This technique is particularly useful in large spaces that need a definition
- Create harmony: Ensure the rug complements the rest of the decor. Having too many patterns rids off the cohesive look the rug should create
- Create variety: you can use two rugs in the same space as long as they have different sizes to add variety to the space
- Use it as a wall hanging: Instead of spreading the rug on the floor use it as a wall hanging to create a focal point
- Plain-colored rug: If the space already has patterned wallpaper or upholstery, use a plain-colored rug to quieten the space. Also, if the upholstery and the walls are subdued, use a rug with a busy pattern or bold colors to add interest to the room
Using Antiques to Accentuate the Space
A lovely antique piece gives a space a sense of history and elegance. It has a patina difficult to recreate using modern decorating accessories. Large antique items like mirrors, lamps, and pieces of furniture will do the trick. Small accessories like sculptural wall sconces and picture frames also give a space a distinctive quality that makes a space appear expensive.