Every year starting in late October I make this apple cider. It’s so very simple and effortless, but I still receive numerous compliments and requests for the recipe. It smells so wonderful cooking in the house, and tastes amazing!
I make this in my slow cooker, which I found on the kitchenultimate.com cookware website.
- 5 cups of apple cider
- 5 cups of cranberry juice
- 4 oranges, sliced and sectioned
- 1/2 cup brown sugar to taste
- 2 t whole allspice (whole preferred but ground is ok)
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 2 t cloves, whole
- Place all of the spices in a coffee filter and tie with a string (make sure this is not a colored string).
- Stir briefly.
- Add the filter and cook in the slow cooker on low for 3-4 hours.
- Add the oranges and cook on low for an additional 1-2 hours.
- Turn the slow cooker to warm, remove the filter, stir, and add additional sugar, if needed.
- Serve warm, and go a-wassailing (without the alcohol!).
Valerie is a God-fearing coach’s wife and stay at home mom of five bright-eyed little ones. She is the original founder of A Nation of Moms, a “one-stop shop” blog-azine of resources and advice for all moms who, like Valerie, just needed a little help.
This sounds very tasty to try in a slow cooker. I have never made a drink like this before.
That sounds delicious! And it’s easy to prepare too. I can’t wait to try it. Thank you for the recipe.