Essential oils are used extensively and reliably in medicine for many numbers of years. Essential oil therapy is recognized as the curative use of naturally extracted plant aromas for endorsing emotional as well as physical well-being. The best essential oils can be used on babies who have attained the age of three months for calming anxiety, help in encouraging sleep and even lessen the signs of colic. However, these essential oils are highly helpful and so; they can be used by the adults too for serving various purposes. An adult can use essential baby oil in the following ways:
- Aromatically – It is the classic method of using essential oils. Ocean air, fresh cut grass, fresh baked cookies, etc. are some of the aromas that are associated with particular emotions. Aromatherapy is capable of providing similar emotional and physical responses on cue.
- Topically – This is another way to use essential baby oil and extract its benefits. When you apply an essential oil topically, then it takes nearly twenty minutes to influence every cell of your body and then the oil gets metabolized.
- Ingestion – Ingestion is considered the best option for applying baby oil onto the skin of an adult. This process can be accomplished with the experience of a healthcare professional. As essential oils are highly concentrated so, only a drop of peppermint oil is equal to 26 cups of peppermint tea.
- Checking the quality – You must look for a reputed producer which produces pure oils minus anything added. You can suffer from allergic reactions to oils which have other constituents.
- Not believing the buzzwords – Just because essential oils have come from plants doesn’t mean that it is harmless to breathe, to eat, or rub onto your skin. At times, natural substances can be toxic, irritating, so you must test on a little area of your skin to see the response of your skin.
Not using edible oils for skin – Some oils, like citrus oils and cumin oil, are safe for your food but they don’t do well to your skin. So, you must avoid them on using on your skin.
Essential oils for skin
When you wish to choose the best essential oils for skin, then you have to understand the nature of your skin and the appropriate oils which can regulate as well as normalize oil production. For an oily skin, orange, lime, cypress, geranium, bergamot or orange oil can be used. For dry skin, myrrh, palmarosa, sandalwood, cedarwood, and geranium essential oils are the best. Again, when you have a combination skin, you can use orange, bergamot, patchouli, and lavender essential oil.
Important points to remember
Citrus essential oils besides some others are capable of causing photosensitivity. By this, it is meant, when you apply them before exposing your skin out in the sun then you can become susceptible to burning, irritation, and redness. So, it is important to avoid exposure to the sun for nearly twelve hours after you have applied them. The process of dilution obviously helps but it would be wiser to remain on the safe side. Actually, bergamot does cause more reactions in the sun.