As humans, a basic need is to have a roof over our heads. However, the roof in many homes is neglected as most people don’t see the condition of it from day to day. The issue with this is that eventually, the roof will inevitably deteriorate over time, and if not maintained through regular roof maintenance, the roof will fail.
Many building owners put off repairs of their roof and neglect their roofing system because they think they are saving money, time, effort, or something else. The problem is they are only considering the short term when making this decision, and possibly not even properly considering the effects. Delaying repair on your roofing system has both short and long-term effects that many building owners often don’t consider or don’t think are serious.
So, do not wait until you have a roofing emergency on your hands. Inspect your roof at least twice a year, and call for roof repair or roofing contractors, Troy Michigan, if you see any of the following signs of deterioration:
- Missing Granules: Granules are the outer layer roofing companies apply to protect your shingles. Unfortunately, they break down as your roof ages, eventually causing the decay of singles exposed to heat and UV rays. If caught early enough, missing granules can be replaced.
- Granules in gutters
- Water Damage: Water damage is a sure sign your roof will have to be replaced. To inspect for water damage inside your house, look for yellowing and peeling paint on your top floor ceilings. The roof itself will indicate water damage if it looks saggy from the ground, or if it feels soggy to the touch.
- Roof valleys
- Daylight through the roof boards
- Algae, Moss and Lichens growing on shingles
- Mold growth in your Attic
- Curling and brittle shingles
- Blistering shingles
- Missing shingles
- Rotting shingles
- Balding shingles
- Chimney flashing
- Damaged flashing
- Buckling shingles
- Ceiling water spots
- Lifting, separating & broken seals
- Sunken roof deck
Fixing your roof problems starts with selecting the right roofing contractor. If you notice any of the bad roof signs of your shingles, it’s a good idea to have a qualified professional with roofing expertise look at your roof system.
Therefore, it is extremely important for you to always be on the lookout for roof failures and any signs of damage that needs to be repaired. When you find these things, you should at least seriously consider making the repairs as soon as possible. However, we know that sometimes it is not possible to make repairs at a certain time, either due to financial, scheduling, operations, or other reasons. If this is the case, make sure you write down the issues you found and what you need to do to fix them. As soon as it becomes possible to make the required repairs, make them! Don’t allow yourself to forget about them or think “Well, nothing has happened yet, I can wait a little bit longer.” No. Don’t put off till tomorrow, repairs that could be made today.