Learning Through Cooking with the DoughLab STEM Kit for Kids

I received a Dough Lab in exchange for my honest review.

We try to get the kids doing as many things that get them thinking and learning.  I was excited to find the DoughLab from Magical Microbes, which has a variety of STEM kits for kids.  My daughter has been into cooking a lot lately, so I had a feeling she would have a lot of fun with this.  Turns out she was very excited to use it, and begged me relentlessly to open the kit – so as soon as we had time, we got started!

The kit has just about everything you need besides water, which is great – no trips to the store required!

While our project below shows the main experiment, there are other activities in the book.

“Perform over 5 experiments to find your perfect bread recipe and learn about yeast and gluten.”

We checked out the supplies and got busy making bread, which my daughter couldn’t wait to do.  The ingredients are so clear, it made it easy to go step-by-step and be careful.  We checked off the boxes as we went along, and at one point my husband came home from work and I had to go to our school open house night, so he was able to help pick up where we left off.  Sometimes my daughter needs help focusing on what we are doing, and having the steps numbered with boxes was very helpful.

Dough Lab

We started our experiment by labeling our containers and filling them with different ingredients.

We added salt, sugar, and yeast to some of the flour.

Once the mixes were complete, and mixed into dough, we placed gloves on the containers.  This is a good time to make some guesses as far as what will happen!

The excitement was building as we waited for at least one of the gloves to fill!

Then it was time to pop the dough into the oven.  The cool part of this experiment is that it is edible!  So you’ve got kids thinking about ingredients and mixtures and how it affects things like bread rising and taste.  I managed to snap a photo after the bread was done (but not fast enough before one of the kinds of bread had been sampled!).

DoughLab Bread

This was a very fun project.  I try to let my kids lead these kinds of activities, so I let my 8-year-old try to be as independent as possible when doing the experiment.  My goal was to follow along and make sure she was following the directions correctly.  I love that this kit is so rewarding because you get some actual bread.  And regardless of if the bread is what your child expected, they learn about practical things, like how yeast works in cooking.

Check about this video about the DoughLab:

Check out DoughLab at

By | 2017-09-27T22:38:24+00:00 September 27th, 2017|Children, Education, Product Reviews|26 Comments

1. candy September 28, 2017 at 11:39 am - Reply

Always included my kids in the kitchen when baking or cooking. This would be wonderful to do with the grandkids. They love to be in the kitchen and learning.

2. Amber Myers September 28, 2017 at 12:27 pm - Reply

So cool! My kids would enjoy this immensely. They always enjoy when they can eat their experiment!

3. Heather @ Kraus House Mom September 28, 2017 at 12:33 pm - Reply

My youngest would love this. She’s a STEM geek and has started an interest in cooking. I’ll have to check it out for her.

4. Jeanette September 28, 2017 at 1:34 pm - Reply

I love this idea! And teaches kids how to measure and have fun with baking all in one. What a smart product. My kiddo would love it.

5. Tomi September 28, 2017 at 1:53 pm - Reply

Baking is all about science and what a fun way to introduce STEM concepts to kids of all ages.

6. Catherine September 28, 2017 at 2:19 pm - Reply

Oh what a great idea! I don’t have my own kids, so I might just have to buy this for my nieces!

7. Sarah Bailey September 28, 2017 at 3:30 pm - Reply

Now this sounds like an awesome product for kids I am loving the fact it is fun and educational.

8. Gisele September 28, 2017 at 5:23 pm - Reply

That looks like so much fun for children! I remember helping my Mom in the kitchen when I was little and by the time I was nine, I was cooking dinner every night because Mom and Dad worked long hours.

9. Jenn September 28, 2017 at 6:14 pm - Reply

This is so cool. My girls would have loved this when they were younger. We have always enjoyed science.

10. Angie September 28, 2017 at 6:23 pm - Reply

This looks like such a fun learning project! I’ll have to look into trying this with the kiddos when we have them.

11. Pam Wattenbarger September 28, 2017 at 9:38 pm - Reply

This is really cool. I have always been a fan of mixing education with real life skills that kids are into…like cooking.

12. Claudia Krusch September 28, 2017 at 11:07 pm - Reply

DoughLab is a fantastic gift idea. I love to give my kids things they will learn from. I will have to add this to my Christmas shopping list.

13. Cheryl September 28, 2017 at 11:35 pm - Reply

I’m so interested in STEM. My son is too old for this now, but I think I would’ve used a lot of these tools.There’s so much out there now.

14. Emily September 29, 2017 at 3:55 am - Reply

I love this idea so much! My son is turning 8 soon and this would make a great gift idea for him. He is all about experiments, science and making things. I have not seen a box like this before, thanks for letting me know about it!

15. valmg @ Mom Knows It All September 29, 2017 at 1:21 pm - Reply

That’s a great idea, helping kids to have an interest in science and understanding how certain cooking processes work. Plus freshly bread too!

16. Amanda September 29, 2017 at 6:30 pm - Reply

My kids absolutely LOVE STEM learning so this is right up their alley. It would also be nice to inspire a love of cooking in them so I can get some help in the kitchen!

17. Emily @ The Southern Belle Blogs October 13, 2017 at 12:35 pm - Reply

Oh my goodness!! I absolutely love this! Anything that combines food with learning is wonderful to me and this is a great way to share the joy of cooking with science!

18. Kate October 14, 2017 at 1:10 am - Reply

This is such a cool kit! I think my seven year old would love learning this way, I’ll have to check it out for him!

19. Amber October 14, 2017 at 3:09 am - Reply

This looks really fun! I’ll have to file this idea and the name of the company for when my daughter is older!

20. Sarah October 14, 2017 at 2:49 pm - Reply

What a neat concept! I have never heard of them, but will definitely check them out. I cannot wait for my little one to get a bit bigger to start doing fun stuff in the kitchen!

21. ashley peavey November 17, 2017 at 5:30 am - Reply

This is so neat, my son would love this!

22. Corinne November 17, 2017 at 1:55 pm - Reply

this looks like such a cute and fun kit!

23. Meagan November 18, 2017 at 9:39 pm - Reply

This is something my daughter would love and work great as a science lab day in our homeschooling plan

24. Afra November 20, 2017 at 5:41 am - Reply

This is so cool! I cant’ wait till my kids are older to do things like this.

25. Anchal November 20, 2017 at 8:16 am - Reply

I am planning to do something like this when my kid is a little older. You had such amazing time.

26. Gisele November 26, 2017 at 10:50 pm - Reply

This is great for kids to use as an experiment and learn about baking! I think every kid should learn to cook. It’s a basic survival skill whether your child is a girl or a boy.