German-style mustard has a distinct and zesty flavor, that turns everyday sandwiches into delectable snacks. When added to food mustard creates delightful treats and does more than just enhance.
As a condiment, mustard does an exquisite job blending with a range of ingredients across various cuisines. In this article, we’ll cover the best ways to incorporate German-style Mustard in sandwiches.
The Rich Palette of German Mustard Varieties
What is German-style mustard? Well, this special condiment originates in Germany and is used to elevate food which typically has meat in it. Germany has diverse varieties of mustard, which range from sweet to savory. Some key types are:
- Süßer Senf: A mildly sweet and sour mustard that goes well in dressings and sandwiches. This type of mustard is made from white wine vinegar, sugar, and white mustard seeds.
- Bayerischer Süßer Senf: Also known as Bavarian sweet mustard, it has a pronounced sweetness. This mustard is made with white wine vinegar, sugar, and brown mustard seeds.
- Mittelscharfer Senf: Medium hot mustard for sausages. This condiment is made with brown mustard seeds, vinegar, and spices.
- Scharfer Senf: Hot and spicy mustard perfect for roasted meats. This kind of mustard is made with brown mustard seeds, vinegar, and spices which include – turmeric, coriander, and caraway.
The flavor and heat level of German mustard depends on the type of mustard seeds used during production. Darker seeds create a more robust, spicy mustard while lighter seeds make milder versions.
still a preferred choice.
source: Maximize Market Research
What an excellent choice for those looking to experiment, and add a touch of robust flavor to their dishes. For example, when you use it as a marinade for chicken or fish, or as a glaze for roasted vegetables. Another option is when you add it to your salad dressings, vinaigrettes, and sauces.
Best Tips on How to Incorporate German-style Mustard Into Your Sandwiches.
1. Mustard Vinaigrette – An Easy Dressing for Sandwiches
A classic mustard vinaigrette made with German-style mustard, vinegar, and oil makes for a phenomenal sandwich topping. The mustard cuts through the oil’s richness while vinegar provides tanginess.
Here’s an easy mustard vinaigrette recipe to try:
- 3 tbsp of German mustard
- 2 tbsp of red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup of olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- Add salt and pepper for taste
- Mix all ingredients until it is emulsified then, you can spread it over your favorite sandwich like turkey, ham, chicken, or veggies.
- For a creamier dressing, you should add 1-2 tablespoons of mayonnaise with it.
- For a more flavorful dressing, you should add 1-2 tablespoons of chopped herbs like parsley, basil, or thyme with it.
- For a more spicy dressing, add 1-2 teaspoons of hot sauce.
- For a more flavorful dressing, use high-quality olive oil with it.
- For a more flavorful dressing, use a vinegar that you enjoy the flavor of.
- For a more flavorful dressing, you should adjust the amount of honey on it, as well as you should also adjust the amount of salt and pepper for a good taste.
2. Mustard Crust with Roast Meat Sandwich
To take your roast meat sandwich to the next level with a mustard Crust. A mustard crust elevates roast meat sandwiches to new heights. It has an aromatic flavor when coated perfectly on pork, chicken, and turkey.
To make a mustard crust:
- Blend 1⁄4 cup German mustard with 2 tbsp breadcrumbs, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Spread mixture over pork, chicken, or turkey roast before baking.
- Once cooked, slice the roast and add it to sandwiches along with vegetables, cheese, or condiments.
When you give this a try, you will enjoy the delightful taste of zesty mustard crust on your roast meat sandwich and this is hard to beat.
3. Pasta Salads with Mustard Dressing – Unique Filling for Sandwiches
Boosting pasta salads with a mustard-infused dressing like vinaigrette adds flavor complexity. The bright, tangy notes pair especially well with tuna or chicken pasta variations.
For a simple German mustard pasta salad:
- Mix cooked pasta with shredded chicken or tuna, diced tomatoes, spring onions, parsley, and feta cheese.
- You should blend these: olive oil, lemon juice, honey, minced garlic, salt, and pepper together, for it to be used for dressing.
- Drizzle the dressing over the pasta salad before making the sandwiches.
This German mustard recipe adds a welcoming flavor and also gives added nutrition to your meal.
4. Take Mashed Potatoes From Bland to Brilliant With Mustard
Mashed potatoes may seem like an unconventional sandwich filling, but when combined with German mustard, they become a delectable surprise that complements heartier ingredients like beef or bacon.
To make this dish, follow these steps:
- Prepare mashed potatoes as usual, adding milk, butter, and seasonings.
- Fold in 2-3 tablespoons of grainy German mustard before serving.
- Pile the creamy, mustard-infused potatoes over sliced roast beef or crispy bacon in a sandwich.
The mellow potatoes balance beautifully with the mustard’s sharpness.
5. Fish Sandwiches Made Delicious With a German Mustard Twist
Fish like salmon and tuna can handle bold flavors, which makes them perfect for adding a twist to mustard crusts. The contrast of tender fish like that of salmon and tuna with mustard’s heat is incredible.
To prepare a fish sandwich with a German mustard, follow these simple steps:
- Spread a mixture of German mustard, breadcrumbs, lemon juice, garlic, and herbs on the fish fillets.
- Bake until the fish is cooked through, then place it in bread or wraps along with greens, tomatoes, and tartar sauce.
This technique infuses fish with lip-smacking flavor in sandwiches, elevating the taste in every bite.
6. Ramp Up Any Sandwich With Mustard-Butter Spread
Mixing the butter with German mustard produces an appealing look that when spread on any sandwich becomes delightful.
- Soften unsalted butter and blend with German mustard, honey, salt, and pepper.
- Spread hefty amounts of this mustard butter in sandwiches instead of plain butter.
- Works amazingly in classics like ham, cheese, turkey, and chicken salad sandwiches.
Mustard butter is the secret ingredient your sandwiches have been missing.
7. Mustard’s Magic Touch for Chicken Sandwiches
Marinating chicken in a mustard-based mixture imparts juiciness while adding savory depth. Grilling the chicken gives it a smokey char that complements the mustard notes perfectly.
- Prepare a marinade by using German mustard, as well as add the following: olive oil, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and spices.
- You must allow chicken breasts or thighs to soak up the marinade for 1-2 hours.
- Grill chicken until cooked through then add to sandwich buns with your favorite toppings.
This simple trick takes your chicken sandwiches to new heights of flavor.
German mustard is a condiment that you can use to spice or add a little kick to your sandwiches. In this article, we’ve explored its different flavors which range from sweet Süßer Senf to spicy Scharfer Senf, and we’ve also learned how to use it to make vinaigrettes, crusts, and more.
So, we can see now that German mustard can be used to enhance the flavor of pasta salads, mashed potatoes, and even fish sandwiches. All in all, mustard is a flavor enhancer that can take your chicken sandwiches to new heights.
So, the next time you are making a sandwich, remember German-style mustard – your secret to delicious bites.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How does German mustard differ from American yellow mustard?
German mustard comes in a wider range of flavors and heat levels compared to American yellow mustard. German varieties use different colored mustard seeds which impart unique tastes ranging from sweet to savory and spicy. American yellow mustard has a very uniform mellow, tangy taste.
2. What’s the best way to incorporate German mustard in a sandwich?
Some creative ways to use German mustard in sandwiches include the following: mixing it into dressings and sauces, making a mustard butter spread, creating a mustard crust on meats, marinating proteins in mustard mixtures, and combining it with heartier ingredients like potatoes. Start with a small amount until you get accustomed to its flavor.
3. What drinks pair well with German mustard?
The sharp, robust flavor of German mustard goes well with crisp lagers like Pilsner, Dunkel, and Helles. Wheat beers can also balance out the zing of mustard. For those who prefer non-alcoholic options, they can try juices like apple, carrot, or grapefruit juice. Avoid pairing German mustards with sweet sodas or teas.
4. Should I refrigerate German mustard after opening?
Yes, it’s best to store German mustard in the refrigerator after opening to maintain its freshness and prevent oxidation. The chilled temperature also helps preserve the mustard’s freshness once you have opened it. Most opened German mustards stay good for 6-12 months in the fridge.